The Sixth Sense Reviews

Page 2 of 2039
June 21, 2015
The Sixth Sense is infamous for its groundbreaking twist, but it endures as a Hollywood horror classic because it boasts a whopper of skin-crawling scares, as well as a heartfelt, powerfully moving story to boot -- and features breathtakingly beautiful performances from Haley Joel Osment and Bruce Willis, allowing both horror lovers and movie novices alike to feel their characters' pain deep within.
June 18, 2015
A well done screenplay assisted by great cinematography and many memorable scenes, resulting in an overall solid movie.
½ December 29, 2013
The Sixth Sense is a suspenseful thriller that will leave you thinking about it for weeks. The story is unique and the acting is great, even the kid does a good job. The story is eerie and memorable, and it's fully engaging. The premise is creepy and it might leave some frightened, and that's why it's so good. Shyamalan crafts an excellent psychological thriller that will leave you interested, scared, and impressed. This is the director at the height of his greatness, proving a low budget movie can be just as powerful as any big budget blockbuster. The twist end is easily the most surprised I've ever been watching a movie, surprising me so much, I couldn't have been more impressed with the execution of the film and how there are subtle hints dropped, making this an even better re-watch. This is a spectacular movie with emotional depth and a brilliant plot. My only complaint is that it can be slow at times. The Sixth Sense gets 4.5/5 stars (A).
November 19, 2008
I blame this movie for the stupid endings to most movies nowadays.
January 10, 2009
"The Sixth Sense" has such an intriguing premise that evolves into a thrilling ghost story with great scares, genuine fear and a rememberable ending.
October 26, 2005
"I see dead people. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead."

When asked what my favorite films are, M. Night Shyamalan's psychological thriller The Sixth Sense tops the list for me every time. I know he hasn't been on a role lately, but that doesn't stop me from having high expectations for any of his upcoming projects because I was deeply influenced by this film. Even his following movies, Unbreakable and Signs, rank among my favorites, and I went as far as defending his work in The Happening (which is a guilty pleasure of mine). His latest films have disappointed me, but I still admire his storytelling and the way he builds suspense in his films (he's heavily influenced by another favorite director of mine: Alfred Hitchcock). I'm looking forward to the release of his new TV series, Wayward Pines, which seems like a return to form for this talented director. But I'm even more excited about his upcoming film, The Visit, which will be released in September.

I was 18 when this film came out and I had just passed my final High School exam so I decided to treat myself to the movies that night to celebrate. Up to this point I was simply a casual viewer of movies and enjoyed pretty much everything I saw. I had no idea about film criticism, and when I got to the theater I decided on The Sixth Sense simply because it starred Bruce Willis. I didn't know anything else about the film and was surprised it wasn't another action vehicle from Willis. The film had a very slow and creepy opening, but I was sucked in by the story and the building atmosphere. I was enjoying the strong chemistry between Willis and Haley Joel Osment as the pair were trying to figure out what was causing these freaky visions. There were several surprisingly scary scenes that made me jump out of my seat a couple of times. The score was deeply effective as well. I was hooked from the very opening scene, but I was not at all prepared for the surprising and revealing twist at the end that left me completely blown away and speechless in the theater as the credits began rolling. I was in love with The Sixth Sense and from that moment on I have not stopped praising it.

I can't believe all the signs that Shyamalan leaves behind for the audience while he is telling the story, and we still couldn't see the twist coming. He practically has Osment spell it out in his famous scene with Willis. It was a movie I had to rewatch simply because of that twist, and the second viewing allowed me to appreciate the film even more by catching up on all the symbolisms and clues that the director left behind. In my opinion it is the best twist ever because you never feel cheated by it. I credit this movie for getting me interested in film as an art form, although the transition didn't happen from one moment to the next. The performances from Willis, Olivia Williams, and Toni Collette are all great, but Osment stood out, and it remains one of the best child performances I've seen from a Hollywood film.
December 28, 2011

½ June 3, 2015
The Sixth Sense is a product of reserved filmmaking in every facet. Its story is slowly but surely unraveled with nearly unprecedented attention to every small detail to ensure faithfulness to the film's climactic and disturbing reveal in the final frames. Its imagery is generally dull and uninteresting, and its sound design somewhat pedestrian. Nevertheless, it all comes together to weave a tale of many underlying themes that are supported by a primary story that is poignant and timeless, a tale of love and the importance of life and the spirit both now and forevermore. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, whose next two films are as equally engaging, and arguably more so, The Sixth Sense is the work of a master filmmaker and one of the finest storytellers of this generation.
½ June 2, 2015
Riveting, with quite a twist at the end.
June 7, 2008
Good movie. Obviously, nobody was expecting the ending. Definitely worth your time.
May 28, 2015
Though cheaply scary but with a very effective sting, The Sixth Sense breathes new life into the supernatural horror genre without sacrificing much the dread it produces.
½ May 28, 2015
The best M night offering is a well done ghost story,a bit of a mindfu33 of a twist that i did not see coming.
February 17, 2013
With one of the best surprise endings in cinematic history, Shyamalan's debut left us all speechless.
May 25, 2015
A tender and complex movie that has a fascinating premise, The Sixth Sense is scary, but it has very warm, compassionate moments and an incredible twist at the end. Bruce Willis and the boy have great chemistry and provide a strong foundation for the film.
½ October 24, 2014
M. Night Shyamalan is widely known to be one of the worst directors working today. He has made several atrocities such as: Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender, and The Happening. Before he made these hideous films, Shyamalan was a household name, garnering praise from critics and fans. His very first film blew people away. "The Sixth Sense" is directed by Shyamalan and stars Bruce Willis, Toni Collette, Olivia Williams, and Haley Joel Osment.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Willis) is a child psychiatrist. He helps troubled children dealing with lots of pain. Some of his patients are mentally ill, including a young boy named Cole Sear (Osment). Cole has been assigned to Malcolm for help. Cole's mother is under extreme stress and is worried about her child. Cole appears to have scratches all over his body, and acts very odd. Malcolm failed to assist a former patient in the past, and wants to help Cole with his issue. Cole sees dead people.

One of the best parts of this film are the wonderful performances. Bruce Willis does a great job playing a character you really care about. He and Osment get along splendidly on screen. The young actor also gives a very sincere and moving performance. At the core of the film is a friendship between Malcolm and Cole. Several scenes these two share are incredibly moving and sentimental. You really care about Cole and his journey. The characters feel very real and are very likable thanks to the great script.

M. Night Shyamalan directs this film quite strongly. I might say he directs it brilliantly. He has crafted a beautiful, haunting, and thought provoking film. Generally, allot of people don't believe in ghosts or the supernatural. This film definitely makes you think and wonder at the possibility. The script is absolutely impressive. All the dialogue feels real, and the characters are fleshed out well. Howard Shore composes a beautiful score, and the cinematography is beautiful.

This film is sort of a horror movie. It's not necessarily terrifying, but it is at times very scary. It sort of puts the audience in the shoes of someone dealing with mental illness. I can't imagine what it must be like for people to hear voices and see things that aren't there. I must admit, this film had me in tears at times. The emotion is so genuine, and the characters are so well written. Not only is it a scary film, but it's a heartwarming one. It deals with subjects like the supernatural, love, marriage, and being different. Obviously, this film is known for it's ending. I won't spoil it, but it was so inventive. I didn't see it coming.

"The Sixth Sense" is M. Night Shyamalan's greatest film. Not only is it haunting, it's emotionally powerful at times. He directs this film with expertise and passion. The script is impressive, the performances are top notch, and the characters are great. Is this film a masterpiece? No. It's a bit too long and at times it gets just a little bit hokey. Nevertheless, this is an extraordinary movie that will leave you reeling by the end. It was suspenseful, well made, and beautiful.
May 6, 2007
One of the best thrillers I have ever seen! Willis and Osment give outstanding performances. The twist at the end is brilliant. One of the creepiest movies I have seen in my life.
½ May 16, 2015
One of the best suspense/thrillers of all time. Still Shyamalan's best film after all these years. Own it. You'll watch it more than once.
½ May 16, 2015
another lost review-twice that's a new low 4 u flixter
½ May 15, 2015
Darkly foreboding and filled with the required substance of a suspenseful thriller. M night Shyamalan's The sixth sense is a profound and creepy horror that has one of the ultimate twist endings
Page 2 of 2039