The Sixth Sense Reviews

Page 3 of 2040
May 6, 2007
One of the best thrillers I have ever seen! Willis and Osment give outstanding performances. The twist at the end is brilliant. One of the creepiest movies I have seen in my life.
½ May 16, 2015
One of the best suspense/thrillers of all time. Still Shyamalan's best film after all these years. Own it. You'll watch it more than once.
½ May 16, 2015
another lost review-twice that's a new low 4 u flixter
½ May 15, 2015
Darkly foreboding and filled with the required substance of a suspenseful thriller. M night Shyamalan's The sixth sense is a profound and creepy horror that has one of the ultimate twist endings
May 13, 2015
Host to one of the greatest reveals in cinema history, if you manage to avoid spoilers; let's face it, you haven't.
½ May 12, 2015
this is one of the best movies of all time! it has good acting, its very creepy and disturbing, and it has a great plot twist. even thought I've only seen this and unbreakable of Shyamalan's films there both great. so check it out!
½ May 8, 2015
Love a good twist. Willis and Osment are revelations, particularly the former. It's a well-directed film, with an attitude towards horror which is unique without being gimmicky or even flashy. It's about emphasis. Suddenly, we're not faced with an individual threat: we're given a situation where it's all about the experience of horror, the confrontation with an unknown, and asked to decide what we would do faced with a similar challenge. Should we be scared? Unlike so many, this is a supernatural thriller which celebrates bravery and humanity beyond guts or scares.
½ May 3, 2015
Creepy, very suspenseful and the total definition of a thriller. The Six Sense had me on the edge of my seat the whole movie. Osment is a perfect role for the troublesome child. The twist at the end provides a jaw dropping moment with Bruce Willis at some of his best.
½ April 27, 2015
WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR A MOVIE EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER HAS SEEN.

It's weird how you can tell this is an M. Night film, yet it's the only one of his movies that is universally liked.

So, The Sixth Sense is a psychological thriller created by the guy that ruined Jaden Smiths acting career, and it stars Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment (at the height of his powers) and Toni Collette. I know most people only think of the two main stars, who are great together on screen, but the chemistry between Collette and Osment is so natural and believable that you would believe they're actually mother and son. She's never quite absent, she's always their for her son from beginning to end, and to me that makes her character as important as Haley Joel Osment's. And it's vice versa, he's always their for his mom, he doesn't want her to worry about him so he does things like lie about having friends and being somewhat popular. That's really the theme to his character, he doesn't want people to think he's a freak, mainly because of his terrifying secret: he sees dead people.

Enter Bruce Willis' character, Dr. Malcom Crowe, a celebrated child psychologist who has some real problems of his own. After being shot by a former patient he failed and seemingly surviving, him and his wife seemingly have marital troubles some time after and he feels he can redeem himself and make his marriage better by helping Osment's character Cole. Right off the bat, these characters have a connection, because they're both on a mission to make things right with their lives. The most notable scene with them, of course, is the famous "I see dead people" scene. The build up in this scene is intense and the ominous score just ups the creep factor. And there are a few scenes like this where Cole is seeing ghosts or just saying how he wants them to go away, and it legitimately sends chills down your spine. That's what I really like about this movie, it has so much genuine emotion between characters and that makes the creepy ghosts scenes that much more effective because you feel for these characters.

Admittedly, there are probably two scenes where I'm like "Meh, who cares, what does this have to do with anything, get back to the good stuff"", but it definitely doesn't take away from the overall experience. Eventually you see Malcom discover that his last patient, the one that he failed, actually had the same problem Cole did, thus he became a believer. From there you find out that the ghosts actually want to use Cole as a medium to take care of unfinished business, which is a cool little twist, these ghosts aren't scary on purpose, they just want help. Malcom then redeems himself in the fact that he helped Cole overcome his fears and accept what he is, followed by a beautiful closing scene with him and his mom, but Malcom still has to fix things at home. When he gets back to his seemingly neglectful, anti-depressant filled wife, he unfortunately discovers the real reason she's been so distant, the big twist M. Night Shyamalan is famous for... Bruce Willis was dead the whole time. Yep, turns out that gunshot wound actually killed him quite instantly, and I swear to you, this twist STILL surprises me when I watch it. Not just because it's shocking, but it's actually a bold move for the movie, because it could have just as easily been a really bad ending, but thanks to once in a lifetime clever film making, the ending makes sense and it actually is another beautiful close for another fleshed out character.

And that's the brilliance that is The Sixth Sence. It's by no means perfect, and neither would the rest of M. Nights work be, but it's by far his best film and one of the best psychological thrillers in recent memory. M. Night would later make the stars of his films fools, emotionless, or emotionless fools, but here he seemes to have struck gold. Not just with the stars being realistic characters, but also the story being a layered mystery with plenty of suspense and emotion and some really creepy scenes to boot. 9/10
½ August 4, 2006
Very very clever. I liked that this movie portrayed 'ghosts and the supernatural' in a different kind of way). Great movie.

Haley was the standout performance (as usual). Shame he hasn't continued acting as an adult.
April 7, 2015
A horror film with some really intriguing performances and emotional integrity. Toni Collette and Hayley Joel Osment are great as a troubled mother and son duo. The film has its share of scary moments, but overall it narrates the struggle of a lonely mother, a confused therapist and a young man who is haunted by apparitions of dead people. Definitely M. Night Shyamalan's most mature work to date.
April 4, 2015
Excellent. Has one or two moments that border on cheesy, but the rest is fantastic (and it helps not knowing the twist going in.)
½ April 1, 2015
Best movie ending since Casablanca.
½ March 28, 2015
What happened, M. Night?
March 20, 2015
Not just a gimmick. It earns it reputation. It even works once the trick ending is known.
½ March 8, 2015
I found this to be impressive. The slow-paced suspense does not take away from this movie - only adds to it. Creepy in many parts and has what I didn't expect for an ending. Great!
March 4, 2015
Cunning, superbly acted modern thriller that was a surprisingly huge commercial success and was among the best of the genre from that period. Bruce Willis is a child psychologist who wants to help a withdrawn, fatherless boy (Haley Joel Osment), who claims to see ghosts. Set in Philadelphia during the fall, the young writer-director M Night Shyamalan has a strong feel for atmosphere and the ominous. Unlike most modern thrillers, the pacing is deliberate but it never feels ponderous. Shyamalan is in love with clever plot twists, which would become a detriment later in his career, but in this instance, the revelation is impeccably sustained and doesn't feel like a cheap gimmick. Willis and Osment give impressively low-key performances. Cinematography by Tak Fujimoto; Music is by James Newton Howard. With Toni Collette as Osment's mother, Olivia Williams as Willis's wife, and Donnie Wahlberg as a troubled former patient.
½ August 30, 2010
Apesar de ter alguns problemas de continuidade devido ao seu grande final surpreendente,M Night Shyamalan fez um otimo filme.Pena que o resto de sua obra nunca teve o mesmo impacto...
March 1, 2015
M. Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense" is considered a modern classic and rightfully so. It's very creative and downright creepy. And who could forget that line "I see dead people"? It is Shyamalan's magnum opus and one of his only three good films.
Page 3 of 2040