Critics Consensus: Skyfall Is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies brings only one new wide release: Skyfall, the latest James Bond adventure, starring Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem. What do the critics have to say? Director Sam Mendes is best known for his portrayals of suburban malaise (his credits include American Beauty and Revolutionary Road), so at first blush he?d seem to be an odd choice to direct a James Bond movie. However, critics say Skyfall is a nearly perfect balance of drama and action that winks at 007?s storied cinematic past while delving deeper into the psyche of the most iconic of movie characters. Back to Article

Comments

Cal Doritosaurus

Cal Doritosaurus

I didn't realize Lincoln was a limited release. Seems a shame.

Nov 8 - 04:55 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

It expands nationwide next week.

Nov 8 - 05:05 PM

David Tanny

SEE SKYFALL. I just saw it today in imax, and it is a terrific action film with an opening worth the price of admission on it's own. Also, Javier Bardem tops his performance in No Country For Old Men. He's excellent. I'll be seeing Lincoln next week when it gets a wider release. Also, did Lars Van Trier really write A Royal Affair? Seems like it's out of his comfort zone.

Nov 8 - 05:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It looks like "Royal Affair" was written by Nikolaj Arcel and Rasmus Heisterberg, though if that last one is a van Trier pseudonym, that would be hilarious.

Nov 8 - 05:28 PM

David Tanny

Last time I checked it's page, Van Trier was credited as the writer. Guess it was a mistake. That would be amusing though.

Nov 8 - 05:30 PM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

Hmm... I liked his villain this time, but to me it falls a bit short of No Country for Old Men. Perhaps because I liked what type of villain he was in that movie more.

Nov 9 - 09:22 PM

David Tanny

I prefer unhinged psychotic villains to the deadly calm and methodical villains. While both were appropriate for their respective films, I personally got more enjoyment out of the Silva character. Javier Bardem is just such a great actor.

Nov 10 - 07:23 AM

ram b.

ram bond

i have the same thoughts also,but the ending should have been more rewarding taking into consideration what happened during the movie, and the master plan, the ending was kinda actionless affair, in terms of grandeur, it doesn't fit the movie well, it's not engaging as for example, the casino royale or goldeneye ending!!!

Nov 12 - 01:15 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

It expands nationwide next week.

Nov 8 - 05:05 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Skyfall was pretty good. I thought it was better than Quantum of Solace but not as good as Casino Royale. The story was cool and the action scenes are awesome. Daniel Craig is still a great Bond and Javier Bardem was a darn good villain. His performance was great. I got to see Lincoln when it goes into wide release.

Nov 8 - 05:15 PM

ram b.

ram bond

Nov 12 - 01:16 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Gosh, I wonder when the new Bond comes out. Sure, I'll see it, but give the pimping a rest already.

"An aging hipster in Brooklyn, he spends his days in aimless recreation with like-minded friends ("Tim & Eric" co-star Eric Wareheim, LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy and comedian Gregg Turkington a.k.a."Neil Hamburger") in games of comic irreverence and mock sincerity."

Sounds exactly why I hate Tim and Eric. Sincerely. But it's a drama, so maybe they've figured out that they're more sad than funny. I believe I'll watch every rotten film listed this week before I even begin to believe that this film is worth an 82%. While Patrice O'Neal's swan song gets a 9%? I guarantee it can not suck enough to be worse than those two flatulent bastards. Nice try, good job.

Nov 8 - 05:26 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah I'm excited to see Sky Fall though the biggest shocker here is The Comedy at 82%. A Tim and Eric film above 40%? I thought critics hated those guys more than Adam Sandler!

Nov 8 - 05:26 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Nov 8 - 05:28 PM

Nov 8 - 05:30 PM

Nov 8 - 05:30 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Definitely going to catch Skyfall. The only wide release that is a must see for me in a while. I am also very happy to see Mendes bring Craig's Bond series back to the heights of Casino Royale.

I will catch Lincoln when it opens wide, as well, as it looks to be a great character piece from Spielberg and DDL.

Nov 8 - 05:32 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

When I saw the first full trailer of Skyfall, my impression was that it would be better than Quantom of Solace but worse than Casino Royal by a major margin, maybe about 75%-82% on the RT meter. I'm surprised that its only 3% below Casino Royal currently so I'm very excited to see this film tomorrow. I'm even more excited for Lincoln and I anticipate I will enjoy that film immensely when it comes out nationwide vs the last Twilight Movie.

Nov 8 - 05:49 PM

David Tanny

Unfortunately, we all know who is going to top the box office...

Nov 8 - 05:49 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Well its obvious Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 will win next weekend (in fact I fully expect for it to do better next week than what Skyfall will do this week). However, the target audience for Lincoln and Twilight are completely different, so I expect Lincoln to get some decent numbers when it goes wide next week. Especially with the massive amount of marketing it's had in the run up to the election this week.

Nov 8 - 09:28 PM

David Tanny

Unfortunately, we all know who is going to top the box office...

Nov 8 - 05:49 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Nov 8 - 09:28 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I know where I'll be tomorrow. I didn't buy every Bond movie on DVD just for the hell of it.

Nov 8 - 07:09 PM

Ivan Mladenov

Ivan Mladenov

The movie was long and boring. Some scenes were dragging forever. Do not listen to critics. Be prepared for dark, sad and sentimental movie. Not a real Bond. Daniel is the same sad sack from the previous two movies. Name is Bond, Lame Bond.

Nov 8 - 07:21 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

lol it's okay maybe you're not used to heavy, well acted action movies.

Nov 8 - 07:25 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Ivan here is just pissed off because Russians are always portrayed as villains in spy movies

Nov 8 - 08:47 PM

Joan Carles Cullell Ibaņez

Joan Carles Cullell Ibaņez

How not listen to critics when they're completely right?

Nov 9 - 01:08 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Hmmm, Daniel Craig is a sad sack. I guess if you're going to troll... go all out.

Nov 9 - 06:45 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Don't be afraid to cast a negative vote, Ivan. Plenty of people around here rant and rave about the quality of flicks like First Class and Chronicle, which I personally thought were below average. I thought the last hour of Casino Royale dragged forever, too.

Nov 9 - 07:25 AM

David Tanny

I agree with John here. While I personally loved Skyfall, I still think people who disliked it deserve to say so without being berated with comments telling him he's a troll. Maybe he's just an old-school Bond fan who doesn't like this newer, darker re-imagining of the character. Nothing wrong with that. It's not everyone's cup of Earl Grey!

Nov 9 - 07:46 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Well, he gave his opinion, and people are giving their opinions of his opinion. Nothing wrong with that either. At least they're not cursing him out.

Nov 9 - 08:57 AM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

They do deserve to say it. They just have to show that they have a brain when they do. Also, whenever you make an opinion, others are allowed to make an opinion about that opinion....

Nov 11 - 01:11 AM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

While I disagree with your opinion, I did laugh at your "Name is Bond, Lame Bond." joke. :P

Nov 9 - 09:20 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Don't listen to the critics...but listen to you instead? Errr nah

Nov 10 - 07:46 AM

Isaac

Isaac H

I'm sorry, but everything in your comment is complete bullcrap. Skyfall is incredible. Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever. Yes, better than Sean Connery. Sure, Sean Connery IS James Bond, but Daniel Craig is the BEST James Bond.

Nov 10 - 03:32 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

lol it's okay maybe you're not used to heavy, well acted action movies.

Nov 8 - 07:25 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Nov 8 - 08:47 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Nov 8 - 09:28 PM

Joan Carles Cullell Ibaņez

Joan Carles Cullell Ibaņez

How not listen to critics when they're completely right?

Nov 9 - 01:08 AM

Five Favorite Films
Five Favorite Films

Brick Mansions star RZA

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Summer Calendar