Box Office Guru Wrapup: Skyfall Scores Bond's Biggest-Ever Opening

Summary

James Bond won a landslide victory at the North American box office which finally got the latest 007 adventure Skyfall which continued to break franchise records. The 23rd film in the 50-year-old series opened to an estimated $87.8M this weekend from 3,505 theaters for a stunning $25,050 average beating out lofty industry expectations to become the biggest Bond opening ever. Adding in Thursday's $2.2M from an early full-day launch in 463 premium large format screens (including 320 IMAX) the four-day bow came to an eye-popping $90M. Daniel Craig anchored for the third time, Judi Dench returned for her third decade in the series, and newcomers Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes joined the cast in this installment. Back to Article

Comments

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

hell to the yeah!!

Nov 11 - 05:45 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Guaranteed to be the first Bond to break the $200 m barrier in North America. Hell $250 m is probably in its future.

This is what happens when an action film gets an academy-award winning director, a great screenwriter and the world's best cinematographer together.

Nov 11 - 07:19 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

The James Bond franchise has been doing very well in Daniel Craig's hands. I enjoyed Skyfall, much better than Quantom Solace (but a little worse than Casino Royal).

I'm excited that Lincoln is doing in limited release. It should do decently next week in wide release. Of course it won't even come close to Breaking Dawn Part 2 which is opening in almost twice the theaters and with a rabid fan base but I hope Lincoln does good. I'm looking forward to it next weekend.

Nov 11 - 07:50 PM

ram b.

ram bond

i have the same thoughts also,but the ending should have been more rewarding taking into consideration what happened during the movie, and the master plan, the ending was kinda actionless affair, in terms of grandeur, it doesn't fit the movie well, it's not engaging as for example, the casino royale or goldeneye ending!!!

Nov 12 - 01:20 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

haven't seen skyfall yet but i have high hopes for it! it might be even better than the dark knight rises (my current favorite movie of the year)

Nov 11 - 10:11 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

I didn't like how they build up to make me hate Silva at first. Yes I know he performed murderous tasks.
But, when I finally met him as a person and heard his side of the coin (Wack NCfOM nod), he became a very likable being. Cruel and disturbing, yes, but given what he went through, who wouldn't be?
It almost...no, it made me FLAT OUT hate M and wish for what he wanted to initially happen happen. (especially since it was going to happen anyway, THAT's what really grinded my gears to dust)

Oh well, at least the Adele opening is undeniably one of the greatest.

Nov 11 - 10:18 PM

Logan L.

Logan Locke

Guess he was sucessful then. A cruel and psychotic villian with just a right amount of symphathy.

Nov 12 - 06:42 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

"Right" amount of sympathy? You mean at the expense of my appreciation towards the rest of the movie; story, characters and all?
Look at it this way: Loki and even The Joker were proved wrong and it worked. Silva, however, won even when he lost, and that's not very successful.

Nov 12 - 11:07 AM

Bob Freeman

Bob Freeman

Bond was great. Saw it in Imax.

Nov 12 - 04:52 AM

Logan L.

Logan Locke

Nov 12 - 06:42 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Nov 12 - 11:07 AM

Ishan Seneviratne

Ishan Seneviratne

Saw Skyfall on IMAX and was somewhat disappointed despite being a die-hard fan of this beloved franchise. I just can't seem to get the raving reviews for this installment from critics? Personally I felt that I had seen every scene in Skyfall in some other movie ... and if you think about it you will as well. Perhaps it is that familiarity that is the great appeal? The one thing that makes me scratch my head was why if Bond could break into M's apartment to mummer "007 reporting for duty" (that you see in the trailer) why couldn't Javier Bardem's genius villain Silva do the same without having have gone thorough all the trouble he went through to get to M? I still think back to that part and wonder if that wouldn't have led a far better story line? M having been abducted and MI6 wanting to sever ties forces 007 to locate and try to save her operating outside MI6 sanction ... just saying. Waiting for James Bond to return.

Nov 12 - 07:29 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I think it's always exciting to see such a high fresh Rating score Millions! Have not seen Skyfall yet but am looking forward to it!

Nov 12 - 08:10 AM

Ernesto Giron

Ernesto Giron

IMAX made it even better, Craig's Bond is the perfect killing machine, in his own word "is he (Bond) a bad guy, or a bad guy that works for for the good side." The franchise is getting better and better.

Nov 12 - 08:43 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Skyfall is good, but definitely overrated. I went in with pretty high hopes, but came out shrugging my shoulders. I'm glad I saw it, but I just can't praise it.

Nov 12 - 10:42 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

I know that feeling.
This is Bond at his most revisionist.

Nov 12 - 12:35 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Nov 12 - 11:07 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

I know that feeling.
This is Bond at his most revisionist.

Nov 12 - 12:35 PM

Rami Nawfal

Rami Nawfal

Skyfall blew my fucking mind! Awesome film.

Nov 12 - 01:05 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel