Box Office Guru Wrapup: Skyfall Is Back On Top

Summary

In his fifth round of play, James Bond powered back into the number one spot as Skyfall topped the North American box office for the first time since its debut. With only one weak new film opening wide, the session saw a fight between holdovers driven by which had the lowest declines. With The Hobbit waiting in the wings ready to attack over 4,000 theaters this Friday, the marketplace saw a slowdown with most studios opting not to release anything new that was worthwhile. Back to Article

Comments

Isaac

Isaac H

Awesome to see Skyfall still dominating. That film deserves every cent it pulls in.

Dec 9 - 03:45 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

still waiting for zero dark thirty :D

Dec 9 - 03:47 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

I know everyone has been talking about Day Lewis winning Best Actor, but I certainly hope Bardem's Silva doesn't go without consideration. He probably put on the most entertaining Bond villain that I've seen. I haven't seen Lincoln and really don't plan on it so I can't entirely say Bardem over Day Lewis, but he better not be snubbed by the Oscars.

Dec 9 - 04:15 PM

Liam Higgins

Liam Higgins

It'd be great to see Bardem do well come the Oscars, but he will probably end up in the Best Supporting Actor category, as Craig is really the main role.

Dec 9 - 04:57 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Yes, my apologies. That would be the category he should be in, however I haven't heard anything about Bardem even getting a nomination let alone being a lock. If he doesn't have to compete in the same category as Day Lewis it's then Bardem's award to lose.

Dec 9 - 05:31 PM

Kyle McLarty

Kyle McLarty

John Goodman or Tommy Lee Jones will probably win it though because they're each in an Oscar-bate movie. Nature of the beast sadly.

Dec 9 - 07:34 PM

Cameron Johnson

Cameron Johnson

I dunno. This could be a Heath Ledger/Dark Knight type victory, where the movie got no awards or really any nominations except for his. The posthumous aspect may have played a role, but you never know, Bardem has a good chance.

Dec 9 - 08:37 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Oscar-bate" - interesting phrase.

Dec 9 - 11:24 PM

Jacob Arnett

Jacob Arnett

John Goodman is Oscarbating as we speak.

Dec 10 - 03:11 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I honestly think Christopher Walken in Seven Psychopaths deserves a nomination. But that's just me.

Dec 9 - 07:35 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

It doesn't arrive to China until January, so I'm waiting...

Dec 10 - 06:12 AM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

I'm all in for John Hawkes from THE SESSIONS. Anyone here see that one?

Dec 9 - 05:41 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Philip Seymour Hoffman all the way, I think i'm the only person who didn't care for Bardem's performance, although I still can't shake off his performance in No Country for Old Men, nothing else compares to that

Dec 9 - 06:29 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Bardem is Skyfall was good, but no comparison to his haunting performance in No Country for Old Men.

Dec 10 - 01:43 PM

Richard Eckes

Richard Eckes

Interesting opinions...I was hugely disappointed in Skyfall and thought Bardem's performance a hammy joke. Each to his/her own...

Dec 9 - 04:36 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

One more week until The Hobbit!

Dec 9 - 04:52 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Yawn!

Dec 9 - 06:25 PM

Michael Lena

Michael Lena

i am very excited for the Hobbit!

Dec 9 - 06:34 PM

Dec 9 - 07:34 PM

Cameron Johnson

Cameron Johnson

Dec 9 - 08:37 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Oscar-bate" - interesting phrase.

Dec 9 - 11:24 PM

Jacob Arnett

Jacob Arnett

John Goodman is Oscarbating as we speak.

Dec 10 - 03:11 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Dec 9 - 07:35 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

It doesn't arrive to China until January, so I'm waiting...

Dec 10 - 06:12 AM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I'm glad that "Guardians"'s performance at the box office is improving (and it being behind "Bee Movie" in any way financially is a serious offense in my opinion). I didn't think "Skyfall" was as amazing as everyone else here says it is, but it was pretty good, so kudos to Daniel Craig and co. for its success.

Dec 9 - 05:01 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Dec 9 - 05:31 PM

Kyle McLarty

Kyle McLarty

Dec 9 - 07:34 PM

Cameron Johnson

Cameron Johnson

Dec 9 - 08:37 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Oscar-bate" - interesting phrase.

Dec 9 - 11:24 PM

Jacob Arnett

Jacob Arnett

John Goodman is Oscarbating as we speak.

Dec 10 - 03:11 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

I'm all in for John Hawkes from THE SESSIONS. Anyone here see that one?

Dec 9 - 05:41 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Yawn!

Dec 9 - 06:25 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Dec 9 - 06:29 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Dec 10 - 01:43 PM

Michael Lena

Michael Lena

i am very excited for the Hobbit!

Dec 9 - 06:34 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Me too!

Dec 9 - 09:07 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I'm surprised that this weekend beat last years, but I guess there was such a strong crop of holdovers that it was able to make up for Playing for Keeps weak opening.

Next week will be exciting with An Unexpected Journey coming up. Reviews are not amazing like Fellowship of the Ring but they are decent, and coupled with 3D its guaranteed that it will make above $100 million the opening weekend. How much above that will be interesting.

Dec 9 - 07:19 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Raoul Silva was gay...

Dec 9 - 07:28 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

I think it was just a mind game he was trying to play, the same way Bond retorted with "What makes you think this is my first time?". Bond certainly isn't gay.

Dec 10 - 05:27 AM

Kyle McLarty

Kyle McLarty

Dec 9 - 07:34 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Dec 9 - 07:35 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think it is safe to say Andrew Dominik will not be getting a wide release with his next film.

Dec 9 - 07:57 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

This could very well be true. Poor guy.

Dec 9 - 09:12 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I dunno about you, Crunk, but I loved the hell out of this movie. America didn't want to see a film that punctures the American Dream, and calls Obama a phony like every other politician. I like a well-written movie, if it that means more "talk talk" than audiences who saw the shotgun in the poster were prepared for.

Dec 9 - 11:27 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I enjoyed Killing Them Softly quite a bit, as well. I do not mind "talky" movies as long as they are well written, as you said. I remember somebody calling it this year's Drive on another thread, and I think that is probably a fair statement, as they are both films that recieved wide releases but probably should have built up word of mouth over a few weeks in limited play. That said, Drive has already achieved cult classic status, and has benefitted pretty much all involved's careers in some way or another (especially Refn and Gosling); I simply do not see Killing Them Softly having the same effect on Dominik's career. In fact, I would not be surprised if he is having a lot of trouble finding backers for future projects after his latest was hated by audiences (seriously, you do not see the F grade too often on a Cinemascore poll), and severely lacks any awards buzz.

Dec 10 - 02:06 AM

DBrock

David E-Brock

I think the F Cinemascore is more due to the fact that the movie was advertised as Brad Pitt shooting people and that was not what the movie was about. So no surprise that it didn't meet people's expectations.

Dec 10 - 01:03 PM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

I would agree, it's all about expectations. Not as bad as people who went to Tree of Life expecting and "bratt pitt, sean penn" movie, but along the same lines... some viewers have a difficult time accepting a film for what it is as opposed to what they want it to be.

Dec 10 - 02:16 PM

Cameron Johnson

Cameron Johnson

Dec 9 - 08:37 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Me too!

Dec 9 - 09:07 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

This could very well be true. Poor guy.

Dec 9 - 09:12 PM

Five Favorite Films
Five Favorite Films

Brick Mansions star RZA

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Summer Calendar