2013 BAFTA Film Awards Winners

Summary

The EE British Academy Film Awards took place on Sunday, February 10, and almost all of the major films getting awards attention this year took home a little something, from Silver Linings Playbook to Les Misérables to Life of Pi. See below for the full list of winners! Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Gits.

Feb 10 - 04:55 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Bollocks.

Feb 10 - 07:50 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

My chimney needs a sweep.

Feb 10 - 08:23 PM

Trey M.

Trey Marksberry

I don't know much about the nominating process of the BAFTA's but is it bias towards British films? Because Skyfall and Anna Karenina are nominated for almost EVERYTHING.

Feb 10 - 05:03 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Well, it is the British Academy's awards, which might explain why this is...

Feb 10 - 05:27 PM

Trey M.

Trey Marksberry

Yet, there is a separate award category for Outstanding British Film? I'm asking if there is a requirement for having a certain number of nominations for British films. Because Anna Karenina shouldn't be on anything.

Feb 10 - 06:55 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I don't see Anna Karenina in for any of the major awards? and I can't argue with Skyfall getting supporting actor and actress noms. They wouldn't have been my choices, but I don't think they're wholey undeserved either.

Feb 10 - 07:47 PM

Trey M.

Trey Marksberry

I don't argue with Skyfall at all! It was no doubt a great movie. And when it comes to Anna Karenina, in my opinion, shouldn't be nominated for a single award. Which is why I think its a little bias!

Feb 10 - 08:34 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yeah, but if you look the only awards its nominated for are costumes and set design ones. You can have a totally crappy movie that just has great costumes and set design.

Feb 10 - 11:06 PM

Nick Porter

Nick Porter

Anna Karenina deserves recognition for costume, production design and music; in my opinion it's the most outstanding film of the year in all those categories. But aside from Keira Knightley being a powerful actress as usual, in my opinion it doesn't deserve noms for anything else.

I think its inclusion into the Outstanding British Film shortlist is reflective of the lack of great British films this year, the only nomination that gives me the slightest raised eyebrow is Cinematography.

Feb 11 - 01:40 AM

Alex Bauman

I would hardly call that a justification though. The Academy Awards in the US may be American but frequently give credit to other films. A french film won best picture last year, a British film the year before that. In 2007, the 4 acting categories were given to 2 Brits (Daniel Day-Lewis and Tilda Swinton, a French woman (Marion Cottilard), and a Spaniard (Javier Bardem).

They due sometimes give credit where credit is due but the bias is still noticable. Like when Jim Broadbent received a Best Supporting Actor Bafta nomination for The Iron Lady (the only nomination he got for the film) over Albert Brooks in Drive (who received doezens of awards and nominations from various film festivals and critics groups)

Feb 10 - 08:24 PM

They *do*

Feb 10 - 08:24 PM

elcalebo

Caleb Anderson

Yip, all fair points, and I agree they are a bit British-biased (remember how much they loved Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? My English in-laws love it too... It didn't really do it for me). And they are certain prone to some bizarre nomination choices.

However, I don't think they're any more British-biased than the Oscars/Golden Globes/guilds are American-biased. And I don't think the BAFTA are any more prone to strange omissions or inclusions than the Academy (no Ben Affleck director nod this year, and they spurned Drive in every other category last year whilst nominating flippin' Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for Best Picture).

Feb 11 - 02:13 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Well, it is the British Academy's awards, which might explain why this is...

Feb 10 - 05:27 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Dang, Argo and Affleck be killing it

Feb 10 - 05:27 PM

Ricardo Rodrigues

Ricardo Rodrigues

I still think Argo won't win best picture at the Oscars... I mean, no nod for Affleck on directing and only 7 nominations. I don't think it will be the big winner this year

Feb 10 - 05:32 PM

Kevin Valladares

Kevin Valladares

Agreed.

Feb 10 - 08:52 PM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Driving Miss Daisy won in 1989 without a Best Director Nod.

Feb 10 - 11:49 PM

elcalebo

Caleb Anderson

The question is, when does the academy vote? If they voted now, after Argo's been cleaning everything up, they'd no doubt go for that. If they voted for winners at the same time as they voted for nominees (or soon afterwards), that's another story, because they didn't seem too enamoured at that stage.

Feb 11 - 02:15 AM

Max Power

Max Power

ya only 7 noms, cuz thats such a tiny amount of noms.

Feb 11 - 08:44 AM

Ricardo Rodrigues

Ricardo Rodrigues

For the big winner of the night it is a tiny amount. Lincoln has 12 and Life of Pi 11! And only 3 nods in major categories

Feb 11 - 10:26 AM

André Antunes

André Antunes

Honestly, I duno if Argo is winning. It's defenetly between Argo and Lincoln. And at the begining I thought Lincoln would clean it,no doubt. But now, watching Argo winning Golden Globes, Directores Guild, SAG and BAFTA... I dunno. Yet, I will mantain my bet on Lincoln for 3 main reasons:

1 - 12 nominations is a lot. Usually when a movie gets this amount of nominations (and I still think it got snubbed in Makeup) It's because it was really good in a lot of things.

2 - Daniel Day Lewis. The man had probably the best performance of the century so far (Don't kill me Joker fans). Just by that alone Lincoln is a deserving winner.
3 - The Directors. You can take Driving Miss Daisy and shuve it up your asses, the truth of the matter is that Best Director is always a really important factor in determinating Best Picture. only for 3 times did a movie won without a Director nom. and in 84 editions, in 66 the Best Director won Best Picture. Spielberg is nominated, Affleck is not. It gets tougher cuz Spielberg is the clear front-runner to win (I consider Ang Lee to be an upset for the win). Besides, U know the Academy praises the old guys, the veterans. Spielberg as been around making masterpieces for 40 years, and Affleck only made 3 films, one of which (Gone Baby Gone) I don't consider to be that great of a movie.

So, for all the reasons I've listed, and even considering that Argo has been getting a lot of awards, LINCOLN will win at the Oscars

Feb 12 - 09:23 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Argo's just winning everything... But I doubt it'll win at the Oscars

Feb 10 - 06:43 PM

Stephen

Stephen Aspinall

Brits have better taste, I agree. PG Wodehouse, Oscar Wilde(I know he's Irish), Stephen Fry, Dickens, Douglas Adams and Shakespeare all support that.

Feb 14 - 05:18 PM

Feb 10 - 11:06 PM

Nick Porter

Nick Porter

Feb 11 - 01:40 AM

Andrew 2.

Andrew 222

SO happy Silver Linings got Best Adapted Screenplay.

Feb 10 - 07:27 PM

Kathleen S.

Kathleen Smith

I just saw Silver Linings Playbook last night, and I couldn't agree more about its win for screenplay! Emmanuelle Riva must have been beyond excellent in Amour to beat Jennifer Lawrence.

Feb 11 - 11:06 AM

Andrew 2.

Andrew 222

And I think it's fair to say Argo has a pretty solid shot now at Best Picture.

Feb 10 - 07:27 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Can't really disagree with any of the winners. This is the closest I've seen to how I'd have it.

Feb 10 - 07:44 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Feb 10 - 07:47 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Bollocks.

Feb 10 - 07:50 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

My chimney needs a sweep.

Feb 10 - 08:23 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

This bodes well for QT getting the screenplay, which I am all for.
With Ben Affleck cleaning up it's hard to determine who will win come Oscar time, seeing as they clearly made a mistake.
And I am glad that Bardem got nominated for Skyfall, he certainly deserved it.

Feb 10 - 07:53 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

My chimney needs a sweep.

Feb 10 - 08:23 PM

Feb 10 - 08:24 PM

They *do*

Feb 10 - 08:24 PM

elcalebo

Caleb Anderson

Feb 11 - 02:13 AM

They *do*

Feb 10 - 08:24 PM

Trey M.

Trey Marksberry

Feb 10 - 08:34 PM

Kevin Valladares

Kevin Valladares

There are better films than Argo.

Feb 10 - 08:51 PM

Edd Jefferson

Edd Jefferson

Yeah, but not in this year's Best Picture noms...

Feb 11 - 02:32 AM

rodrigo l.

rodrigo lopez

Amour, Beasts of the southern wild, Silver linings playbook, Zero dark thirty, Life of pi, are much better than Argo by far.

Feb 11 - 12:44 PM

Brandon Little

Brandon Little

Your opinion. Most disagree, based on the tomatometer, all these awards shows, etc.

Feb 11 - 01:56 PM

Kevin Valladares

Kevin Valladares

Agreed.

Feb 10 - 08:52 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast