Slap Shot 2: Breaking the Ice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slap Shot 2: Breaking the Ice Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 29, 2011
Sequel to one of the greatest sports comedies ever made is one of the worst films ever made. I have never seen such an uninspired sequel or film for that matter. I don't know where to begin with this travesty? Cast, a bunch of washed up has beens or others trying to make it in the film industry. You have Gary Busey here, The guy was relevant when he was in Point Break, but not anymore. Same with Stephen Baldwin, the guy wrecked his career with Pauly Shore's Biodome, great career move. Anyhow Slapshot 2 is a dud, a waste of time and a terrible insult on the original. Slap Shot 2 doesn't try to break new ground or do anything original, funny and amusing. Theres a few comic bits here and there, but it becomes repetitive very quickly and the jokes become stale and unbearable. The story for this is film is fairly terrible as well, and it makes Slap Shot 2 one of the worst sports sequels since Caddyshack 2. this film is an insult to hockey, hockey fans and the original film in the process. Thats quite a feat NOT to be proud of. But really what do you expect from a film that has a bunch talentless actors? not much. I'd never thought I'd say this, but even the legendary Hanson brothers are annoying and don't bring on the same laughs as they did in the first film. It's too bad. Slap Shot has the unfortunate distinction of being one of many great films that have very bad sequels. A real shame. Slap Shot 2 should be avoided at all costs, whatever made the first film so great is absent here and theres more irritating and unfunny jokes that seem to try too hard at making you laugh, something that never quite works.
December 24, 2008
Goes for the open net breakaway and falls down about center ice.
½ February 14, 2010
A great sports movie, and contrary to popular opinion it is a significant step up from the first movie in the series. The only thing I didn't care for were some of the obscenities, which had already been heavily established by the first Slap Shot. Otherwise, it is a very well-made movie that cares for old time hockey. The Hanson Brothers will crack you up every second they are on screen! (First viewing - Teen years)
November 1, 2010
Review #427 Cliche, Lame-ass Sequel, Unoriginal

Slap Shot 2 is STUPID SLAPSTICK. SICK. About as predictable for a Sequel as you can get. This is all unoriginal, and really unimpressive. Slap Shot 2 has taken Sport's Cliche's to a new hieght. It has taken sports films, and hit a new low. This film, as I would say "SUCKS!"

This is one film, I am sure almost everyone will concur deserves a big fat 0!!!!
½ January 7, 2010
I thought that the original was very over rated, but this movie just stunk. Stephen Baldwin was horrible. He could do so much better but it seemed just like he was just collecting. Same thing with Busey. This movie had a horrible story and watching the hockey scenes were painful.
½ January 21, 2008
Who in their right mind would except Gary Busey and a non-Alec Baldwin in exchange for Paul Newman? I tried, and even with such a low bar to pass, this "film" still fell short
½ August 17, 2007
The shame here is that the premise is absolutely perfect for another Slap Shot movie. The writers tried too hard to make another series of memorable characters, but unsurprisingly, they all came across as being one-dimensional. Thankfully the ending is exciting enough to make it worth watching.
½ February 6, 2007
This deserves negative stars. The movie is a disgrace to the first Slap Shot, and to hockey itself. Stephen Baldwin should be shot for torturing hockey fans with this abomination.
½ March 9, 2006
Stephen Baldwin is horrible, as is the rest of the cast. Its a stupid story, stupid comedy, just an overall bad film.
November 18, 2004
[size=7][color=red]slapshots 2 -breaking the ice[/color][/size]
:rotten: stephen baldwin cant act he had a few expectins like the usual suspect but really the whole i look like a stoned surfer thing doesnt work outside of halfbaked which he was in for a one scene dont get me wrong i love his idea's like his skate videos that he made but i dont think acting is what he good at he needs to stick to something else ok now that i got that out .slap shots 2 is awful to falls into every sports cliche thats possible .the story sucks theres really no acting and has very little humor .what it comes down to is this is a crappy sports flick thats not worth your time:rotten:
½ May 13, 2015
Awful, even worse than the original, which I thought was impossible.
½ February 8, 2015
Not as good as the first one at all.
November 26, 2014
I don't know how to watch this movie can someone help
½ February 14, 2010
June 13, 2007
If you treat it like its own movie and not slapshot it is a lot of fun
December 7, 2012
Could watch this sometime if i can find.
½ September 23, 2012
Slap Shot 2 isn't even in the same league as the first film, not AT ALL. One viewing of this film was enough to place it in my list of the worst films I've ever seen. It's absolutely fucking atrocious. The acting is fucking awful, Steven Baldwin gives one of the most tired, dull, and uninteresting performances I've ever seen in my lifetime, I've never seen him in any other film but if this is what he's like all the time, he ranks near the top as the worst actor! Every character in this film either looks uninterested and bored or comes off plain fucking annoying with failing attempts at even being funny at all, like the OCD guy or Russian guy, or the totally stereotyped gay sponsor. The dialogue is horrible, I watched this with a bunch of guys and we were balling over how bad a lot of the dialogue was, not to mention how awfully each character delivered it. The Hanson brothers are back, but not even they can save the movie, they're totally fucking useless, either repeating gags from the first film or making cheap unfunny immature jokes. They made me laugh in the first film, they didn't here. Gary Busey usually plays a great villain and he's a good actor, but what do you know? He as well can't offer a damn thing to this movie, he's awful in this film too! The plot is dim-witted and flat out stupid, and the editing is cheap and jarringly bad, and we also get a totally half-assed soundtrack with music that most of the time doesn't suit the scenes they're matched up with at all! There is nothing good about this film at all, I dare anyone to name anything good about it, cause you'll either be dead wrong or I'll disagree. Slap Shot 2 sets out to be a comedy, and it's vulgarly bad and painfully unfunny. You may get a laugh out of how bad the film is, but it's not a "so bad it's amusing" film like The Room, this is a film you'll laugh at in sheer desperation in trying to entertain yourself since the film fails at providing that sort of thing for you, it feels long and it's hard to sit through, and by god I hope I never have to sit through it again. This film needs to be buried under thick ice, and frozen out of existence for eternity.
½ June 18, 2007
I wish we still had hollywood blacklisting. Stephen Baldwin should of been stopped years ago. I've never seen a movie take so many little well done things from the original, use them, but take all the point and heart of those things it uses. I think they are only their to signify they may of watched the original movie.
March 8, 2012
Do not buy this movie. Do not rent this movie. Do not even accept it as a gift.
February 24, 2012
The message of this film states that even though hockey is a rough sport it is still a game that is played with class. Hockey players are legitimate athletes