Slaves of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slaves of New York Reviews

½ November 20, 2014
January 5, 2014
FLAWED adaptation of a book that would have been hard to adapt in the right hands (Andy Warhol owned the rights before he died). Peters is far too old to be playing the part, but actually, you forgive that fact quickly. What you do not forgive is some of the poor acting from some of the supporting players (Madeline Potter is awful). Some glimpses of Merchant Ivory expertise, but Merchant Ivory are not the right people doing this movie.
August 21, 2013
This movie is defining.
½ December 30, 2010
Somehwat disappointing.
December 11, 2010
I wanted to like this more because of some of the cast in it that I like. But when it came down to it, the movie had nothing to offer. I kept wondering what the point of this was.
½ May 16, 2010
I haven't seen this movie in years, but so many parts of it have always stuck in my head. The boyfriend's outrageous lies. Bernadette Peter's sheer awesomeness. My favorite Supremes song.
February 3, 2010
I read the book as a kid & BPeters is NOT who I saw as Eleanor. JGarcia is scrumptious tho.
August 3, 2009
I've read the book and seen the movie and without a question the book is better. But I really enjoyed seeing the art in this flick and the music was rad, specially Boy George's "Girlfriend" playing in the credits!
½ March 28, 2009
great art,fashions,quirky
April 17, 2008
I used to love this one. Maybe I still do? It was all about what I would like to become in the eighties :) I think I need to buy this for my collection
January 18, 2008
Widely panned critically, but i love anything with my darling Bernadette! Watch out for the street singing "Supremes"...one of my favorite bits.
January 17, 2008
i wouldnt mind seeing this again. doesnt seem to be issued on dvd
January 1, 2008
the critics blasted this when it came out and the book
(another one of my favorites) is infinitely better... but I love this film. lovelovelove it. something about the character quirks
and the 80s new york art scene... love it.
½ December 21, 2007
Fantastic book, fantastic film - I so wanted to live in NY after seeing this.
December 5, 2007
Anything that has Bernadette Peters in it should be watched!!! B-E-A-utiful!!
½ November 27, 2007
Great movie, 80s fashion heaven! Bernadette Peters is great a must see. A cult movie for me.
November 21, 2007
Unique film about New York's 80s Art Scene based on my favourite book by the fantastic Tama Janowitz
November 9, 2007
I just loved this movie when I was a teen. The characters and the cast are great.
October 11, 2007
Bernadette Peters is so endearingly stupid and emotional and socially awkward in this movie. she has it down.