• PG-13, 1 hr. 30 min.

Sleepwalk With Me Reviews

c0up
c0up

July 10, 2013
'Sleepwalk With Me'. Unexpectedly hilarious, sweet and honest. Some real moments of laugh-out-loud humour that's normally hard for me to come by.
Cynthia S

January 12, 2013
I am a big Mike Birbiglia fan, so I may be a bit biased here..but...I thought that this movie was VERY charming.
Matthew S

January 3, 2013
This adorable, quarky film is very fitting for Birbiglia. Fans know of him as a successful comedian, but we have to watch his younger self struggle to find the standup routine we already have in our heads. Meanwhile, the current, successful self weaves his way through the movie, narrating this tale of yore with pieces of his stand-up in an abrupt, almost rushed way that ends up creating a jarring, uncanny valley-like effect where lines that are hilarious in their original form are suddenly not. However, the visual reenactments of the sleepwalk episodes described in his routine were absurd and funny, and the cameos (even some Mitch Hedberg material) were a nice, warming touch.
Sam B

October 22, 2012
The success of movie like this, which certainly won't wow you with exciting or suspenseful moments, hinges on the likability of the main character, and Mike Birbiglia is a pretty likable guy in that sad-sack, Louie kind of way. I don't think he's particularly funny, at least not from this movie (I am unfamiliar with his standup), but his movie is sweet and smile-inducing, though I certainly never laughed out loud. There's a certain mood you have to be in to really enjoy Sleepwalk With Me, and if you're in that mood (the "quirky indie" mood), it might really hit the spot. But don't be surprised if you find it too slow and unfulfilling.
Kevin C

September 10, 2012
An insightful view on love vs. social acceptance, stand-up comedy, and sleep disorders.
Joey S

February 2, 2013
A surprisingly great comedy from comedian Mike Birbiglia, who along with starring also directed and wrote the movie. Sleepwalk With Me has a number of hilarious moments mixed in with more serious ones and a lot of honest commentary about relationships. If you watch this, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised by how funny and relatable it is.
Philip P

December 18, 2012
Sleepwalk With Me is not a great film, but it is certainly an interesting one. A very interesting one that takes on many subjects and conquers them all with up-front, honest interpretation. A brisk and funny film told through the mind of comedian turned playwright turned filmmaker Mike Birbiglia. Birbiglia is a standard guy, but he has a knack for the mundane and making zingers of assessments out of everyday life and the choices we all face that we will always question in the back of our minds. The title comes from the through line joke that has Birbiglia suffering from a rare disorder known as REM. During REM sleep the brain is highly active, causing our protagonist Matt Pandamiglio (Birbiglia) to act out his dreams and in turn putting himself in some pretty dangerous situations. These actions during his sleep get increasing worse as his fears in dealing with longtime girlfriend Abby (Lauren Ambrose) and her need to get married and start a family put more and more pressure on Birbiglia who desperately wants to be a comedian but finds himself going nowhere fast. Birbiglia chose to address the audience directly at certain segments in the film which provide an insight into his side of the story that the film couldn't provide otherwise. It is a nice call as it allows us to get a sense of the man and endear with him through his trials as a stand up and his faults as a boyfriend. The inside look at stand up comedy is surely the highlight for me though. Watching Matt go from a timid stage presence to perfecting his delivery and realizing his strengths as he develops his act. It is a fascinating world and to see it fleshed out on film like this is reason enough to see this film.
Alec B

August 14, 2012
It lacks an ending, but Bribiglia is so determined to be honest (almost brutally so) about his personal life and his standup career that I enjoyed it despite the obvious flaws.
hawkledge
hawkledge

April 5, 2013
Interesting, insightful persona study, some fine work between the leads.
David S

January 10, 2013
As a man who occasionally sleep-talks I can relate to the lead character in this funny, bittersweet film about one man trying to work out what he wants from life and discovering that maybe it isn't the woman he has been spending the last eight years with. The to-camera monologues are witty and I found Birbiglia very likeable in the role (probably because he was playing himself). The film doesn't go where you expect and that is refreshing. Ambrose is adorable as the woman in his life but I found the scenes bewteen the two of them quite difficult because I think she looks so much like my wife! It's a short, slight film with no big messages but I enjoyed it's honesty.
July 25, 2013
I like movies like this. Independent movies, more often then not seem to be well done. I think it is because independent movies know they are not going to have the money to do all lot of effects and CGI, so the writing is usually top notch. Also if a movie is independent then the producers are more careful with the movie because the money is usually theirs rather then some studios. This is no exception. Sleepwalk with me is charming and funny a real joy to watch.
July 18, 2013
Funny, emotional, and most of all real! Everything about this movie just feels so natural and it just sucks in you
February 16, 2013
Not amazing. This one is about a guy who sleepwalks and is dealing with a troubled relationship. He is a pretty bad stand up comedian, but it starts getting a little better at the end when he starts making fun of his girl. Still a bit on the slow and boring side, though. I didn't love it.
January 12, 2013
Excellent film adaption of an also excellent book. It may be missing a few notable scenes (the hilarious bear encounter for example), but fans of Birbiglia's comedy owe it to themselves to watch this.
JennabGreat
January 9, 2013
Mike Birbiglia is one of my favorite comedians so I knew I'd probably like this movie and I did. I found it to be funny & smart; a very enjoyable movie experience.
January 1, 2013
Birbiglia develops his characters and adds some more emotional depth than he had in his hilarious "This American Life" bit, but not enough to hold together a ninety minute film. It's charming and thoroughly pleasant, but pretty slight.
December 27, 2012
For a film about a standup comedian, there were surprisingly few laugh-out-loud moments. And in all honesty, I would have been fine with a film that involved no sleepwalking whatsoever.