Slingshot Hip Hop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slingshot Hip Hop Reviews

Dracula787
½ March 18, 2009
I had heard some positive buzz for this documentary coming off the festival circuit and it had an interesting topic. Unfortunately it was never picked up for theatrical distribution and I wasn?t sure I?d ever get a chance to see it. Luckily, the movie finally turned up on the Sundance Channel so I tivoed it right away. The movie is about disenfranchised Palestinian youth who use Hip Hop music in order to express their anger about the Israeli occupation. The hopeful message is that these young people are fighting back with words instead of bombs, it?s an excellent look at the cathartic and political power of art. These Palestinians seem to have a better understanding of Hip-Hop as an outlet for the oppressed than most closed minded observers in the media do. The film also works simply as an examination of the Israeli-Palestien conflict from a perspective that it isn?t normally seen from. That said, I can kind of see why this didn?t get picked up, it isn?t the best produced piece of work and I probably wouldn?t have paid full price to see it. Still, catching this documentary on television makes for a very interesting 90 minutes of watching.
July 21, 2009
A must-see. I saw this on Sundance on DocDay and interestingly it came after a documentary I didn't watch about the kipputzim system?!? Wonderful documentary. I love that they tell us they have no use for our pity, only our solidarity. Hip hop is such a perfect fit.
½ April 26, 2008
Seeing this documentary with the director and a very enthusiastic sold out crowd certainly made it a memorable experience. I'm always fascinated to see spotlights shown on peculiar phenomenon and this most certainly fits the bill. To be honest, I was expecting it to be more of an entertaining gimmick (ala Air Guitar Nation) than thoughtful film, but it has a lot to say about artists working under oppressive conditions, so will hold anyone's attention- even if they don't care about U.S. or Palestinian hip hop. The early scenes are energetic and fun, but it's later in the film-- once I'd gotten to know the musicians-- that it starts to capture some more memorable emotions. There's real sadness and joy projected on screen and that's rare.

Also of note, the scene has developed significantly since the film (which took a number of years), so despite some indication that the various guys and girls are influenced exclusively by very mainstream artists, the director explained that thanks to the internet, various underground artists are well regarded- even in Gaza.
February 9, 2013
A very inspirational documentary on Hiphop in Palestine
June 22, 2011
music without any boundary but with political meanings.
October 9, 2010
Interesting movie shown as part of the Refugee Film Festival in Tokyo.
Gives very clear view of the conditions that people are living under in Gaza and the West Bank. Israel's behaviour is quiet disgusting.
June 3, 2010
An excellent documentary about Palestinian wrappers in Gaza, the West Bank and Israel. I was surprised by how many areas of life it touches on; politics and identity were a given, but discussion on what occupation does to a person's ambitions and self esteem, how hip hop can be used to vent anger as well as provide hope, and the role of the Palestinian woman, among others, was unexpected. Very nicely done.
½ April 2, 2010
How can I rate it less if it taught me about the things of which I had no idea... about the background of the songs I listened to on youtube. That's the role of a good documentary, I think.
For hip-hop fans and those interested in the Palestinian cause. Or all those who are open-minded - the rest might be likely to fall asleep.
July 21, 2009
April 12, 2009
Slingshot Hip Hop is one of the best documentaries I've seen. It tackles the serious issue of Israeli apartheid in Palestine yet does it through the eyes of Palestinian youth. In spite of the devestation in Palestine, the film maker is able to show the positive energy of youth who use humour and music to deal with oppression and raise political awareness. The documentary is very educational for someone who has only been exposed to mainstream media when it comes to Palestine and Israel.
April 10, 2009
????? ???? ???? ????? ??? ?? ???? ????? ??? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? 27
Dracula787
½ March 18, 2009
March 17, 2009
A good documentary for everyone that has common sense should watch.
½ March 16, 2009
This film had really good insight from the young people that have to deal with the madness and violence on a daily basis. Palestinians are using hip hop as an outlet for their frustrations and a way to spread their message to their community to the rest of the world.
October 16, 2008
zajebisty, poruszajacy
a arabski w hiphopie brzmi genialnie
respect
½ April 26, 2008

January 24, 2008
SLINGSHOT HIP HOP is about Palestinian rappers living in Gaza and the West Bank. It's political hip hop and much about the occupation and wanting peace and creating an outlet for the Palestinian youth who are mainly bored and resorting to drugs and violence. First of all, these guys are really talented. Great beats and progressive lyrics. Jackie Reem Salloum (the director) does a nice job of showcasing this talent while at the same time telling the story of how these guys (and a few girls) found hip hop and how it has really saved them and created a dialogue for social change. There's a great scene where the guys from the west bank (who started the movement) watch a taped concert of the guys in Gaza. They had no idea there even was hip hop in Gaza, and are so moved after seeing the performance. Because of the occupation no one can enter or leave Gaza, and so although they've never met they connect on the phone and on the internet and the excitement and giddiness and mutual respect between these guys is just inspiring. It's a real testament to the power of music and hip hop esp as an outlet for expression and change.