97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Slipping Down Life Reviews

jam233
December 7, 2009
August 25, 2007
Not a whole lot to say about this one. It was interesting and original and Pearce gives his usual great performance, but there just isn't a whole lot going on. The singer doesn't seem great enough to justify his attitude, but it works in a way. What really made this stand out to me is that it had plenty of chances to take a cliche route (and I kept expecting it to) but it didn't. The writer was smart enough to take the road less travelled.

Also - Not sure, but it sounds like Pearce did his own singing. Either way, he sounds capable of being in an actual band.
Shutterbug13
May 20, 2007
I first caught this movie on IFC a couple of weeks ago (drawn to it by one of my favorite actors, Guy Pearce). It's a beautiful story. Makes those of us who don't necessarily look like supermodels feel as if there may actually be something special about us. Lily Taylor's character is awesome and she plays the role extremely well. Guy Pearce is superb, as always. A movie that makes you think it's going to make you sad, but an unexpected (but hoped for) twist at the end makes things right with the world once more.
Kristin T

May 17, 2007
Interesting movie! Definately worth the watch. A small town girl becomes somewhat obsessed with a musician. They are propelled toward one another ofter a bizarre stunt she pulls at one of his shows.
July 17, 2014
The leads are attractive but the film goes nowhere.
January 2, 2013
The only thing I wish to take from this film was the good hardcore punk that lasted a whole 10 seconds long.
January 9, 2012
I'm stunned to see the low ratings this one has received. I really enjoyed it. It quirky and sort of edgy while it also maintains a lot of originality in its structure since it doesn't really follow any "normal" pattern. Instead it simply shows the audience the life's of the main character, with the ups and downs that holds. A really watchable experience that seems really underrated.
blair k.
December 24, 2009
love the quirkiness and sweetness of the slow nice and gradual buildup of the relationship between the two leads. lili and guy have instant chemistry and so natural together. this movie is at times playful and more serious in a nice balance. definitely worth checking out this indie and in this one film in particular as well as memento people will hopefully come to realize that guy pearce can out act the australian heartthrob of the moment-hugh jackma. I just feel he needs more recognition.
jazza923
November 21, 2006
5.5/10. In spite of Guy Pearce's enigmatic performance, the film is too slow moving and strange to be successful. Lili Taylor is once again bland, but she does give a decent performance. I am supposed to care about some obsessed nutcase that carves the name of her idol with broken glass on her forehead? Don't thinkl so! Pearce does his own singing and is quite good.
kornegayn
December 6, 2005
I really enjoyed this film. Watched it late one night on TMC. This is the first time I've noticed Guy Pearce (guess I've been under a rock or something) and he is fantastic in this movie as Drum. He's believable as the object of Evie's (Lili Taylor) obsession. He has an amazing voice and of course is beautiful to look at. Maybe I could just relate to Lili's character, with her lonely life and her fixation on Drum. I admired Evie for going after what she wanted, even though she did it in an unusual way and things didn't turn out exactly like she wanted. When I finished this movie, I wanted to watch it again.
Fritz08
March 21, 2005
[font=Book Antiqua][size=5][color=#000033][font=Book Antiqua]Hey All,[/font][/color][color=#000033][/color]
[color=#000033][font=Book Antiqua]I received this movie in the mail this past week called; "Slipping Down on Life". I was really surprised by this movie because I wasn't sure what to expect. This movie was actually a decent movie. The cast was pretty good and so was the writing. The script could have been a little better but it was basically a good film. I got a feeling this was probable one of Guy Pearce?s first American films. There were some funny parts to this film as well as some dramatic parts. "Slipping Down on Life" is about this young woman who lives in a small town. She just lives day to day with out any real prospects. One evening a friend and this young woman go see a local band. The lead singer makes an imprint on this young woman's life. She becomes obsessed with this lead singer as well as a lot of women in that town. After carving the lead singer's last name into her forehead the young woman becomes the talk of the town. The lead singer goes to see the young woman in the hospital and starts to fall in love with her. The young woman decides to take on the task to help the musician with his career because she believes he has the talent to make it big even though he has no desire to go any where with his career. This film is also about miscommunication, relationship issues, small town trappings, and just general understanding of one another. The musician character isn't very likable but he grows on you. The DVD doesn't have any bonus features because this was a low budget film even though the cast was amazing. I would suggest this movie to any one. Please see what you think.[/font][/color][color=#000033][/color]
Fritz ;) [/size][/font]
whisox
December 7, 2004
A Slipping Down Life is an overly long, dull film staring Guy Pierce and Lili Taylor. Taylor's character is ridiculous and annoying. Come to think of it, everyone in this film is completly boring and annoying. A boring film beyond belief.