Slither Reviews

½ June 4, 2013
The movie opens with a meteorite landing in the backwoods of the small town of Wheelsy. The bad news is that our atmosphere did not burn up everything inside the meteorite. One of Wheelsy's rich business men, Grant Grant (Michael Rooker), who is married to the young and beautiful high school biology teacher, Starla (Elizabeth Banks), finds a slow moving slimy thing behind the town bar. The slug stops moving as Grant moves closer, he becomes infected by the slug. Grant begins to change and evolve into a bloodthirsty meat-eating squid creature with a need to kill to maintain his life. Sheriff Bill Pardy (Nathan Fillion) and Starla must defeat this creature or the entire earth will be consumed.

Slither is a 1950's type B-grade horror/comedy movie scenario that has everything. A billion-year-old alien parasite from outer space with penetrating tentacles that sucks the life out of you, fast moving slugs that want to get inside your mouth, dogs and cows being eaten by human and deer zombies, an enormous mother glob, and the small town being terrorized by a monster. This is your classic B-grade movie that is a lot of fun watching. You will laugh from beginning to end. For budget reasons, it looks like they used the old standby, tomato ketchup, for blood. There are some scary moments, but most of the scenes are hilarious. If you want an enjoyable night and a good laugh, this is the movie to see. 5 Stars for Comedy. 5-27-13
August 4, 2010
A fun horror film that is full of gore, disgusting sight gags, and characters that seem fresher and far better constructed than the slasher and possession films streaming out of Hollywood lately. Even for a film that wasn't a success right out the gate, it is still bigger and more impressive than many other films in its genre. For example, this film boasts an impressive cast of semi-famous character actors, including Nathan Fillion (Firefly), Elizabeth Banks (Pitch Perfect), and Michael Rooker (The Walking Dead). The actual genre of the film is subject to argument because it is surely comical in its incredulity, science fiction through its use of alien creatures as the villains, and horror, as these intergalactic slugs take over a backwoods hick town. The town is generic hillbilly fodder, but also strangely wrong and dirty, in a way only schlock can correctly characterize. The story follows the citizens of a town as it starts its yearly deer hunting celebration. A meteor crashes into a section of woods where a drunken miser missteps with an equally drunk floozy, and gets sodomized with an alien prong, which takes his body over. This leads to him becoming a blob, setting his spawn upon the town, and turning people into zombies, all connected to the original, impeded in the brain of the man from the woods. This alien, inside the man, falls for the man's wife, and is constantly trying to capture her as she flees with the town's police. Some of the effects in the film are especially graphic and vulgar in the way they look and are presented. The film melds "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with "Night of the Living Dead", but also features some very gross out scenes of gore for those who love cult horror. It has a little bit of everything and always wins because it doesn't take itself too seriously. Truly one of the better horror films of the decade and one of the smarter ones as well.
½ June 13, 2006
review coming.
½ October 8, 2007
A funny, slimy, tightly paced horror film about aliens overtaking a small town in Texas. Probably the best horror-comedy since "Shaun of the Dead" at that time, with solid performances and a lot of disgusting gooey stuff that horror fans will love. Not entirely memorable, it's been a while since I have seen it and I don't remember a whole ton of it, but I remember having a good time and enjoying it thoroughly. So hey, what else can you ask for?
November 8, 2006
Excellent cheese-tastic B-movie horror. There is no story, there is just amusing 1 liners and a cast who know how to ham it up more than miss piggy. Nathan Fillion is of course excellent yet again.... of course by now he should be by now, always playing the same character in everything he does.
½ September 8, 2007
The damned aliens from space again (dammit! why don't they just leave us alone!) in this slimy, gross out dramedy that winks at you as much as a bad girl in a worst movie. Fun.
September 23, 2011
If you've see Night of the Creeps, then in a way, you've seen Slither. The film focuses on slug like alien that turn people into zombies, very much like Creeps. The film however is different enough to be a totally refreshing horror going experience. The film is a horror comedy that has a few laughs, but nothing ever too great. The film will most likely appeal to gore fans, and has some awesome gore sequences. This film manages to deliver a gross-out spectacle that brings back elements of good horror. The film is one of the best horror films of recent times; considering the amount of crap remakes that abound in the horror genre nowadays. The cast do a fine job and Slither is a must see film for horror fans that are disappointed by the current state of horror. Yes, the ideas of this film are nothing new, then again, in horror nothing really is. But the fact is, is that Slither works well with the formula and has enough original ideas mixed in with the old to be a very good horror film. The cast do a fine job at delivering good performances, and the special effects are repulsive as it should be. I very much enjoyed this film, and it has some of the effective gore sequences that I have seen in quite some time. This is a terrific and underrated horror film that certainly delivers. If you love good gore, then Slither is the film that you should watch. A very good film.
April 8, 2011
A refreshing homage to the glory days of the cheap, cheesy 80's horror flicks, Slither is absolutely hilarious in its execution - not only in the ridiculous, B-movie set pieces and gross-out moments, but also by the worthless banter and creative one-liners from the redneck characters. Don't get me wrong - it's also equally creepy, and it will definitely make you squirm.
June 9, 2006
Loaded with tons of revolting gore (courtesy of some great special effects) and a few awesome Easter eggs (music cues from Predator, ftw), Slither is a fun, wild, and pretty entertaining horror comedy homage to the schlocky delights of the late 1970s/1980s from the early works of Cronenberg, Troma, to stuff like Night of the Creeps or The Thing.

I kind of would have prefered a more straightforward film that just happens to have some funny moments over a horror comedy (as it is a difficult thing to do well), but I had fun watching this. It's not perfect, but for what it is, it is good enough.

The cast is pretty good (it's nice to see Michael Rooker again), and Banks and Fillion look like they're having fun, so that's good. It was a nice little treat to see Jenna Fischer, but I wish she would have had a bit more screen time. Oh, and for the curious, this is supposed to be a campy film, and yes, the actors are acting that way on purpose.

Even as a genre exercise, this film is a little rough, but James Gunn shows some promise, so that's cool. Oh yeah, the squeamish probably shouldn't watch this; some of this is pretty gross. If you like gross though, or at least have a good sense of humor, then you'll probably find something to enjoy.
½ March 29, 2007
There's a nice sense of humor at work here but the gore is off putting. A little less graphic depiction and this would have been a fun scare flick.
½ September 28, 2007
Good clean family fun. A mix of zombie movie, alien movie, and Brian Yuzna monster effects movie. And no good horror movie is complete without an evil deer attack.
January 27, 2007
Slither is a proficiently-done camp horror flick helmed by the compulsively watchable Nathan Fillion. Its failings are in its excesses, telegraphed by a director who doesn't really know how to control his bigger ideas (his "spectacles" lack any sort of resonance), but at the same time he shows a certain knack for subtle self-referential quirk.

More later
½ August 2, 2008
Not my type of movie. But I watched it all the way through. It does have a quaint idea of how an alien would attack Earth.
½ July 3, 2008
James Gunn probably grew up watching old school, black and white B-movies because when he made this one, it was screaming "The Fly" and "The Toxic Avenger" and the "Basket Case" all the way.

You can safely call it a homage to old school horror B-movies because for one thing, they didn't use CG to create monster Grant which is like a good thing because you have something different to look at, not some pixelized crap we've been seeing these days. The gore was also there, I can hardly contain myself from puking with all the blood and guts and lastly, the performances from the actors were quite impressive.

½ December 24, 2007
This flick is so much fun and well-written, I had a blast watching it.
½ October 20, 2006
The parody is more for I guess die-hard horror fans. I'm sure they will dig it, but this just wasn't for me.
May 30, 2006
Kylie: What are we gonna do now?
Bill: I don't know. Probably turn into a couple of these fucked-up things.
Kylie: That's kind of negative.
Bill: Well, it's been that sort of day.

A disgusting, gore filled, B-movie, mixing horror, comedy, and romance. It is fun to watch and does not attempt to take itself seriously.

You can see the cast having a good time, mixed with enough comedy and gooeyness to maintain a morbid sense of humor amidst the madness.

The film is also tributes galore with nods to all sorts of other horror films from the past, with references mainly to all of the 80s horror films including Evil Dead, The Thing, Night of the Creeps, and tributes to directors like Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, and David Cronenberg.

What's so much fun is how the comedy doesn't come from one-liners as much as it is dialog in response to how ridiculous the situations are.

Starla Grant: [as Bill goes out where the worms are] Be careful.
Bill Pardy: Yeah, there's a thought.

The plot, as ridiculous as it becomes, works because of how everyone stays true to their characters and don't turn it into winking at the camera.

It also helps that the cast includes B-movie greatness from Nathan Fillion, Gregg Henry (who curses up a storm), and Michael "The Rook" Rooker.

Jack MacReady: You mean like Martians?
Bill Pardy: Martians is from Mars!
Jack MacReady: Or it's a general term meaning 'outer-space fucker.'
Bill Pardy: No it isn't!
Jack MacReady: Look it up, cock sucker!

This all makes for a light-hearted horror flick, despite how dark everything ends up being. It looks good in a slimey way, and it is a movie bound for a cult following.

Jack MacReady: Praise *Jesus*? That's fucking pushing it! This shit's about as far from God as shit can get! Either of you ever seen anything like that? You even heard of anything like that? Huh? Me neither... and I watch Animal Planet all the fucking time!