Complete Oscar Winners List Here!

Summary

Slumdog Millionaire raked in eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director for Danny Boyle. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button took home three Oscars, Milk and The Dark Knight won two. Below, you'll find all the winners from Oscar night, from Best Actor (Sean Penn) to Best Supporting Actress (Penelope Cruz) to Best Live Action Short (Toyland). And don't forget to browse our full red carpet gallery, our own live analysis of the ceremony on Twitter, our rundown of all the Best Picture winners throughout history, and, of coruse, our full Awards Tour, a one-stop shop for awards season coverage. Back to Article

Comments

religion s.

new name

yeah

Feb 22 - 09:27 PM

Max G.

Max Grafe

You know, I suspected that best score actually meant most popular-sounding score when Gustavo "Listen To Me Play My Guitar" Santaolalla won the past two years in a row, but tonight has really cemented it for me. WALL-E had the best score of the past several years and I actually think the score to Slumdog was the least of the nominees. Not bad, certainly, but WALL-E got ripped off horribly here.

Feb 22 - 09:28 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

ok well i just wanted to know cause everyone i ask thinks he was outstanding. my only complaint is that he didnt really show that much emotion. i mean anyone can go around talking with a lisp and yes he did a great job impersonating capote. but to me there should be more than just looking and sounding like someone.

Feb 22 - 09:29 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Thats too bad Ledger won. His roll was average made supreme by his death. Good going on the drug death loser! Its what got you the win.

Feb 22 - 09:29 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

"...and the Oscar for Outstanding Prick goes to..."

Feb 22 - 09:31 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

What the **** was "average" about Heath Ledger's joker? It was one of the most electrifying performances in history.

The Oscar was going to him. Regardless of his death or not.

Feb 22 - 09:36 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

I'd've gone with No Country For Old Men over Slumdog, were they in the same year. And I was in the Academy. And anyone cared about my opinion.

Slumdog felt great, but it didn't do anything for me that I hadn't seen before. No Country was dark, depressing, and largely original.

If one weights happy more than original (not being snarky, I actually believe this), then great. There's more of your kind than mine in the Academy, I think. But there's my two cents. And overpriced at that.

Feb 22 - 09:29 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

zontar man i think the exact opposite but yeah who cares about what we think, i think no country was been there done that. where as slumdog was like HOLY SH** i mean those kid actors were better than penn anyday. I think we can all agree there will be blood was robbed last year.

Feb 22 - 09:32 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

"...and the Oscar for Outstanding Prick goes to..."

Feb 22 - 09:31 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

Feb 22 - 09:32 PM

inactive user

Jared King

The Captain of Team Loyalty is a homophobic idiot. Hopefully, fools like him won't ruin more people's lives.

Feb 22 - 09:34 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

The Oscar was going to him. Regardless of his death or not.

Feb 22 - 09:36 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Hey, TDK haters! Ledger won! HA HA HA! Anyone who says TDK is bad, is looking for attention.

Feb 22 - 09:38 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

yeah dont respond to the hating of ledger. he just wants to start something.

Feb 22 - 09:38 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

I'm curious, Will--what movie have you seen that reminded you of No Country? I think that we must have been seeing different aspects of the same film.

For Slumdog...well, Millions comes to mind, as does Akeelah and the Bee.

Feb 22 - 09:39 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

well for one. i think fargo was pretty much the same sort of slow paced movie and i think fargo was a lot better. (GRANTED THEY ARE DIFFERENT lol) its not that it wasnt edgy. i mean for me not showing the main charachters death was yes very stylistic but also annoying. and trying to put some kind of sense into this senseless movie doesnt work. or at least to me. Slumdogs cinematography was truly amazing. and the editing was superb, never once did the editing take anything away from the film, but added to it. getting back to no country for old men. its a very simple cat n mouse movie that doesnt have any real tension, since we dont get to know the characters. and the ending sucked. i mean bad. at least do it with some class like gran torino.

Feb 22 - 09:48 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

Hey, Willrez, it's occurred to me that this is ENTIRELY ACADEMIC, since these two movies came out in different years, and thus would never have competed for this. Still, this reminds me a bit of the ACTUAL competition between Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction; I read an interview with the directors of those, and each really gushed about the other's film. THAT made me feel warmer and fuzzier than Slumdog did.

Anyhow, I really did think a lot of the characters of Brolin and Kelly Macdonald in No Country--thought they were really well developed, and I wouldn;t have minded the Academy saying as much. But I saw different themes entirely; it didn't seem bleak to me so much as an exploration of the inexorable. I was really glad for Bardem's Oscar; I thought that he was as good a Two-Face as Aaron Eckhart was.

Feb 22 - 10:34 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

yeah i didnt know about forrest gump vs pulp fiction. that would be tough. lol i dont really love either but still. yeah dont get me wrong no country is a hell of a lot better than a lot of movies. (i just particularly hate it because it snubbed out there will be blood.)

Feb 22 - 10:39 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

I get that, Will. It wasn't my favorite Coen Bros film, and I did like There Will Be Blood. I was glad that Daniel Day-Lewis got the Oscar for that one; kind of took the bad taste out from his Oscar for Supporting Hacktor in Gangs of New York.

Feb 22 - 10:43 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I would actually call it the Cohen's best movie, I am a Cohen Bros. fan and I look at that as there masterpiece. I also love There Will Be Blood, but I still say I like No Country more.

Feb 22 - 10:44 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

I'd put it behind Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and Hudsucker Proxy, but I know that some would find that last one blasphemous. I've found that Coen Bros fans have a pretty diverse selection of favorites.

Feb 22 - 10:51 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Oh yeah i am homophobic because i hate gays...not

Feb 22 - 09:39 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

HAHAHA what? Homophobia is defined as fear and hatred of homosexual people. Hence, homophobia is hatred of gays.

...

WOW.

Feb 22 - 09:41 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

...

WOW.

Feb 22 - 09:41 PM

spartan11

michigan fan

stop whining

Feb 22 - 09:41 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

This year was a fun oscars. I was never bored. Jackman was fun and charismatic, I wish he had more to do and there was less High School Musical kids. I thought Penn was fantastic in Milk and just as good as Rourke was in The Wrestler, but yeah I was cheering for Rourke. I still find it funny that Wanted got as many nominations as The Wrestler aka man that is sad. I still am not afraid to admit that I liked Hoffman's performance more in Doubt then Ledgers, maybe I am alone but Hoffman's performance was the key to the movie being ambiguous and he did his job right. I am glad Benjamin Button picked up some wins, excellent movie that I think doesn't get enough credit. I am glad Frost/Nixon didn't win much, it was a pretty good movie, but I just don't see why so many people loved it- yes the acting was great but the movie I thought was pretty generic. Now I kind of feel like I should see The Reader, but I am still not finding myself very interested in seeing it.

Feb 22 - 09:42 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

I loved Doubt. That play is one of my favorites, and it was a very good adaptation. Hoffman was fantastic, but can you imagine how much The Dark Knight would have unraveled if Ledger hadn't devoted himself to that role, and gave that kind of performance?

I can picture many fine actors in the role of Father Flynn, but there is just no other person alive who could do what Heath did.

Feb 22 - 09:45 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I am not saying I didn't love him as The Joker, but I think people need to also give credit to Nolan for that performance. I don't think a lot of people could have pulled off what Hoffman did.

Feb 22 - 10:00 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Yeah, the ceremony was pretty good. I want Jackman back, I wish he didn't do that number with Beyonce though. I mean, Zac Efron and What's-her-face? C'mon. But Tina Fey and Steve Martin were hilarious! But the best moment was Ben Stiller! I loved his Joaquin Phoenix refrence. I've seen "Doubt", and Hoffman was great, Streep was great, Viola Davis was good (but overated), but Amy Adams annoyed me. I never really liked her as actress. But seriously, Hoffman over Ledger? I guess you liked "Doubt" more than me. I give it a 8/10.

Feb 22 - 09:51 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah I really like Doubt but I don't think its a perfect movie, and I would say I like The Dark Knight a little more but I just thought Hoffman was great.

Feb 22 - 10:02 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

Why don't you two deal with your conflicting definitions with some private messages, and let this thread be about the Oscars?

Feb 22 - 09:42 PM

Harry B.

USCf1lm 06

Wall-E lost the sound awards because many voters from the other branches just penciled in their favorites without considering which film really was the best in the specific category. I saw an article which interviewed 2 sound technicians that are voting members of the academy, and they both voted Wall-E hands down. However, they said that the other branches might just vote for their favorites and the film that really wasn't the best will go on and win it. If the sound awards were only based on votes among the Sound Branch, Wall-E would've won in a landslide

Feb 22 - 09:42 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

Feb 22 - 09:45 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 22 - 10:00 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Homophobe is the fear of gays. Unfortunately when will gays figure out we don't fear them we hate them?

Feb 22 - 09:47 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel