Complete Oscar Winners List Here!

Summary

Slumdog Millionaire raked in eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director for Danny Boyle. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button took home three Oscars, Milk and The Dark Knight won two. Below, you'll find all the winners from Oscar night, from Best Actor (Sean Penn) to Best Supporting Actress (Penelope Cruz) to Best Live Action Short (Toyland). And don't forget to browse our full red carpet gallery, our own live analysis of the ceremony on Twitter, our rundown of all the Best Picture winners throughout history, and, of coruse, our full Awards Tour, a one-stop shop for awards season coverage. Back to Article

Comments

Mike_Nelson82

Brett Kochenower

Penelope Cruz won? This is a joke right? Sure, she kissed Scarlett Johansson, but that was the only thing she did in that movie. She could have easily been replaced by another hot chick, and I wouldn't have known the difference in the performance. I'm glad they hand out Oscars just because you kiss a chick for a few seconds. Maybe if the action would have lasted longer I could have seen it, but I know alot of girls that deserve an Oscar if kissing another chick is all it takes. This Oscars was just about making everybody feel great in their tummies, and had nothing to do with actual performance.

Feb 22 - 09:48 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I was really dissapointed with "VCB" when I saw it. The women were attractive as hell, and the enviorments beautiful, but the film lacked wit and laughs. Cruz didn't deserve anything.

Feb 22 - 10:01 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

well for one. i think fargo was pretty much the same sort of slow paced movie and i think fargo was a lot better. (GRANTED THEY ARE DIFFERENT lol) its not that it wasnt edgy. i mean for me not showing the main charachters death was yes very stylistic but also annoying. and trying to put some kind of sense into this senseless movie doesnt work. or at least to me. Slumdogs cinematography was truly amazing. and the editing was superb, never once did the editing take anything away from the film, but added to it. getting back to no country for old men. its a very simple cat n mouse movie that doesnt have any real tension, since we dont get to know the characters. and the ending sucked. i mean bad. at least do it with some class like gran torino.

Feb 22 - 09:48 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

Hey, Willrez, it's occurred to me that this is ENTIRELY ACADEMIC, since these two movies came out in different years, and thus would never have competed for this. Still, this reminds me a bit of the ACTUAL competition between Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction; I read an interview with the directors of those, and each really gushed about the other's film. THAT made me feel warmer and fuzzier than Slumdog did.

Anyhow, I really did think a lot of the characters of Brolin and Kelly Macdonald in No Country--thought they were really well developed, and I wouldn;t have minded the Academy saying as much. But I saw different themes entirely; it didn't seem bleak to me so much as an exploration of the inexorable. I was really glad for Bardem's Oscar; I thought that he was as good a Two-Face as Aaron Eckhart was.

Feb 22 - 10:34 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

yeah i didnt know about forrest gump vs pulp fiction. that would be tough. lol i dont really love either but still. yeah dont get me wrong no country is a hell of a lot better than a lot of movies. (i just particularly hate it because it snubbed out there will be blood.)

Feb 22 - 10:39 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

I get that, Will. It wasn't my favorite Coen Bros film, and I did like There Will Be Blood. I was glad that Daniel Day-Lewis got the Oscar for that one; kind of took the bad taste out from his Oscar for Supporting Hacktor in Gangs of New York.

Feb 22 - 10:43 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I would actually call it the Cohen's best movie, I am a Cohen Bros. fan and I look at that as there masterpiece. I also love There Will Be Blood, but I still say I like No Country more.

Feb 22 - 10:44 PM

Zontar

Kenneth Linck

I'd put it behind Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and Hudsucker Proxy, but I know that some would find that last one blasphemous. I've found that Coen Bros fans have a pretty diverse selection of favorites.

Feb 22 - 10:51 PM

spartan11

michigan fan

why do religious people have so much hate? probably for the same reason that you're religious: a complete collapse of critical thinking.

Feb 22 - 09:49 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Hey, don't put every person in a box! I'm Christian, and I know that the Bible says nothing against homosexuality. It's misunderstood by many, like TheCaptainofTeamLoyalty. I'm some what ashamed of my religion, because of the homophobes out there, but I'm telling you. Not all of us are the same, despite what Bill Maher is trying to say.

Feb 22 - 09:57 PM

James T.

James Treakle

"Religion sucks r.", you clearly don't understand humanity whatsoever. Next time, before you go off and insult the 95% of the world that is religious, take a moment to do some of your own critical thinking.

Anyway, very happy, in general, with tonight's results. Slumdog was my favorite of the Best Picture noms. I'm disappointed, though, in how little The Dark Knight walked away with. It faced some stark competition.

Feb 22 - 09:57 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Yeah, the ceremony was pretty good. I want Jackman back, I wish he didn't do that number with Beyonce though. I mean, Zac Efron and What's-her-face? C'mon. But Tina Fey and Steve Martin were hilarious! But the best moment was Ben Stiller! I loved his Joaquin Phoenix refrence. I've seen "Doubt", and Hoffman was great, Streep was great, Viola Davis was good (but overated), but Amy Adams annoyed me. I never really liked her as actress. But seriously, Hoffman over Ledger? I guess you liked "Doubt" more than me. I give it a 8/10.

Feb 22 - 09:51 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah I really like Doubt but I don't think its a perfect movie, and I would say I like The Dark Knight a little more but I just thought Hoffman was great.

Feb 22 - 10:02 PM

Harry B.

USCf1lm 06

At least it's nice to see the academy restore order with Wall-E rightfully winning it's "consolation" prize for best animated film. The ghettoization of animation continues.

PS. Sucks for Dreamworks Animation, they finally have a great movie in a long time in KFP, only to have Pixar throw Wall-E in their faces. I'm certain they've already greased the wheels and one of their movies will win the Annies next year over Coraline(an excellent film), Up, and Miyazaki's newest film.

Feb 22 - 09:53 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

I thought the best supporting actor nominees were really strong this year, but the best supporting actress were exceptionally weak.

Feb 22 - 09:55 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Religion has nothing to do with it. Homo's are against nature. A deviant lifestyle. Shame on the deviants for trying to force the normal people to accept their shameful behaviours.

Feb 22 - 09:55 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

Hey daschund:

SHUT. THE. ****. UP. Seriously. SHUT YOUR MOUTH. OR STOP YOUR FINGERS FROM TYPING HATE ON A MOVIE FORUM.

Feb 22 - 10:00 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

jokerboy, I think the character can be attributed to Ledger, though. Nolan gives a lot of freedom to his actors, and Ledger took that freedom to incredible heights.

I have seen the stage and film version of Doubt. I think the material is wonderful, and a successful performance can be achieved by a good actor. (now, Hoffman isn't merely 'successful'. He is great). But Heath just created, more than Hoffman created.

Feb 22 - 10:05 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah I mean I am not dis-crediting Ledger at all which I want people to know, but like I said I think Hoffman left the movie ambiguous which I don't really think a lot of actors could do. Ledger was great and it is an all time iconic role, but I liked Hoffman more. Also an actor I think who didn't get any mention this year but was fantastic in Benjamin Button was Jarred Harris, he played Captain Mike, I thought he was great and didn't get as much credit as he should.

Feb 22 - 10:09 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

No Country for Old Men was vastly superior to Slum-Dog Millionare (saw it earlier today), The Reader, and Benjamin Button. The only movies I would have put on the level of the films from last year are TDK, The wrestler, Milk, and Wall-E. I thought Frost/Nixon fell somewhere above between Slum, BB, and Reader and below TDK, Wrester, Milk, and Wall-e.

Feb 22 - 09:56 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Feb 22 - 09:57 PM

James T.

James Treakle

Feb 22 - 09:57 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

yeah wall-e was amazing. but they need to get rid of cartoony looking people. i was like wait no no nonono. because the first 30 minutes were fricken awesome. they need a serious animated movie to be up for a best picture nod. because if wall-e didnt get it nothing will no matter how creative it is. wouldnt it be sweet tho, for like a dark animated bit from pixar?

Feb 22 - 09:57 PM

Solar_Surfer

Matt Huigens

Um, there's a correction that should be made to the winner's tally: The Dark Knight won for best Sound, while Slumdog Millionaire won for best Sound Editing.

Feb 22 - 09:57 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

That pisses you off, so much so that you have to ****in ignore all the goings on to focus on anyone who focuses a=on the presetation, I think you are the retard for just picking on people who think other than you, sorry for not being a conformist and having a different opinion. Entertaining show!

Feb 22 - 09:59 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I thought TDK won editing and Slumdog won sound.

Feb 22 - 09:59 PM

Solar_Surfer

Matt Huigens

you're right, my mistake, must have remembered wrong.

Feb 24 - 08:29 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I am not saying I didn't love him as The Joker, but I think people need to also give credit to Nolan for that performance. I don't think a lot of people could have pulled off what Hoffman did.

Feb 22 - 10:00 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Mehegan

Hey daschund:

Feb 22 - 10:00 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Feb 22 - 10:01 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I thought TDK won editing and Slumdog won sound.

Feb 22 - 10:01 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 22 - 10:02 PM

utkipp1

Anthony Kipp

I liked Hoffman and any other year I would have gone with him (or RDJ) but Ledger gave one of the all time great performances.

Feb 22 - 10:03 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships