Slumdog Millionaire Reviews

May 29, 2015
"Slumdog Millionnaire" is a film directed by Danny Boyle. It is a drama/romance film. It came out in 2008.

The character played by Jamal Malik was the hero. We also have Latika the lover of Jamal, Salim Malik the brother, Prem Mukar is the host of the TV Game, the inspector, Maman the man who attract the children and take them to the orphanage, Javed the gangster millionaire. The main topic of this film is love and drama. The action took place at Mumbai.

The film tells the story of Jamal a guy with 18 years and he lives in a slum of Mumbai. His family is poor as most the people in India. It is almost one of the days more important for him. All of the people in Mumbai are seeing him in a TV Game named "Who wants to be a millionaire?" when he is a one question to win. The host thinks that he is cheating and at the end the host called the police. The inspector doesn't believe that he knows all the answers but Jamal explain why he know all. He says that he learn all with his life, with some flashbacks with his brother Salim and his lover Latika he tell his life until his inscription at the game. He just participates at the game because he knows that Latika sees this. So when Latika sees the game, Salim gives her the phone and the keys of his car and asking her to go away and also forgive him for what he did. Jamal doesn't know the answer so the host takes a pause and when they go at the toilet's Jamal says that he really doesn't know the answer and the host wrote in the mirror "B". When they come back at the TV Game, he utilize the help "call a friend" and it is a number of his brother, and when Latika remember she run at the car and she says that she is fine but she doesn't know the answer so Jamal randomly and it is the good question so he win. At the end of the film he found again Latika at the train station.

I was like this film, at the beginning it is a little confusing. It's a film of drama/romance but in certain parts it is funny. This film shows a portrait poor of India and we can see the contrast with the people rich and the people poor. This also shows that we can learn with the life. The most incredible in the film is the fact the he just participates at the TV Game to found again Latika, it is like a proof of love. I was like the way that the story is tell.

I recommend this film to everybody who likes drama and romance, this is a really beautiful story.
½ April 18, 2015
This is a somewhat predictable but lovely film which combines an honest look at poverty in India with one of the best love stories in recent years.

Jamal who wants to find his long lost love Latika, goes on a game show called "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". After he's suspected of cheating, he's interrogated and he starts to explain how he knew all the answers.

To say that this is expertly shot would be an understatement. It would be nearly impossible for another movie to win "Best Picture" over it. Every shot is amazing and not a single one seems worse than the last.

The clever structure of the film uses the backstory to explain how he knew each of the answers to show what life is like for much of India's population. Even some of the more disturbing things that go on are detailed very well in the movie.

The actors all did a great job. Especially the younger cast which is rather surprising considering that this is their first time acting for many of them. They acted well and I was sold in the first 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, the film's strength falters near the end. Blaming plot contrivances on "fate" seemed lazy and the happy ending felt a bit hollow to me. But besides this, this is still a powerful and moving film which will entertain you all throughout it.

This is a great movie. It has great acting and it was expertly shot. The movie details violence well and it's handled greatly too. This is Danny Boyle's best movie since Sunshine and Trainspotting.
May 13, 2015
Beautiful film..... with a lovely soundtrack and a heartbreaking story, Danny Boyle made a masterpiece. 5/5
July 28, 2014
A neat movie with lots of twists. It wasn't a masterpiece nor was it perfect or even my kind of movie that I enjoy but it was pretty fun to watch. Just a solid solid story with some genuine twists and turns, great entertainment. It was a lot of fun despite it's flaws and it's silly irreverence, there was some really good storytelling here with a great use of game show that I have never seen before (a movie that uses a game show as its backdrop for chapter based storytelling). It was very exciting to watch this young man tell a story of his life, even though it was kind of racist, I found it neat how every chapter gave you the answer why he knew the answer to the game show question! It was a great use of stealth and speed that was done in the classiest way possible. Good movie but not one of my favorites. A huge story with huge mania and wonderful storytelling that was just spectacular and brilliant to watch on a huge big powerful screen. I thought it was very very good. I loved this movie. It's one of my top 100 all time.
October 20, 2012
Muy original, entretenida, interesante, y magistralmente llevada, tiene el factor X... quiza por el concurso y las preguntas, quiza por la inmediata solidaridad que el protagonista despierta, quiza por el novedoso retrato de un lugar totalmente desconocido como la India... quien sabe, pero tiene magia de cine, y eso muchas veces esta por encima de lo verosimil de la obra.
½ March 19, 2015
This film exceeded my expectations, for his great script projected on two-stroke, that manages to trap the viewer and keep it entertaining until the end of the film. 9/10
March 19, 2015
It's sad and gritty and yet is still so awesome and fantastic I don't even know how to articulate. I now see why this film has won many nominations from Academy Awards.
½ August 2, 2013
There's no two ways about: Boyle is just a fun director, and Slumdog pulses with the kind of life and exhilaration the UK director is so great at. Boasting great performances, a memorable script and some of the coolest cinematography this side of Dubai, this is a Forrest-Gump like romance epic that is as unique and fun as it is stylish and visually stunning.
December 20, 2008
One of the best movies of 2008
February 22, 2015
Slumdog Millionaire might be a bit predictable at times but it is a film that has a real lovely feeling about it and makes the film quite a joy to watch for most part
June 22, 2013
It is certainly convinced of its own importance but that doesn't make this engaging, and, at times, profound movie any less so.
½ January 25, 2015
Superb film, which is a real emotional ride, lead tremendous by Danny Boyle's sublime direction.
January 20, 2015
Fiel al estilo de Danny Boyle, entretenida.
April 16, 2010
Combining drama, romance, melodrama and hope in a better way than many higher budget films, this is visually stunning, has an engaging story and shows sights and sounds foreign to many traditional audiences.
½ January 17, 2015
It's too predictable for the overarching premise to have an effect on the audience, but Slumdog Millionaire is a perfectly structured movie featuring some fine performances and assured direction from Danny Boyle.
½ January 14, 2015
Slumdog Millionaire's unique method of story telling allows it to flow smoothly and maintain proper pacing. Having the main character tell his story in real-time captures the viewer's attention from the get go, creating a sense of wonder about what will happen next. Simon Beaufoy describes life in the slums of India with a depth that allows the story to spontaneously immerse the viewer into the plot. Beaufoy creates multilayered characters, most notably Amir and Salim, the brothers with contrasting personalities that have a relationship vaguely reminiscent of the one shared by Cane and Abel. They complement each other's actions in a way that creates a sense of tragedy and adventure. The dialogue between the characters sets a tone that keeps emotions running high and increases the film's tension and excitement.

Its foreign characters from the slums of India may be difficult for a majority of audiences to relate to, but they inspire intrigue for a larger audience by allowing viewers a glimpse into the oft hidden side of India. Some graphic imagery may be hard for younger audiences to digest. The film targets older adolescents and adults. The story doesn't adhere to a single genre. It plays the role of a drama with the undertones of a comedy as well as a thriller and makes all three genres work despite their differences. The viewer of such a film can likely be swept along for the tumultuous, but ultimately satisfying ride. Slumdog Millionaire is effective with its many twists and turns, which are inspired by its dynamic characters and immersive atmosphere.
½ March 2, 2014
Inspired acting by Patel and Pinto carry the film, as does the unique and enchanting soundtrack.
½ April 17, 2013
Danny Boyle impressively puts the audience deep into the roots of Indian culture in Slumdog Millionaire. As rich as its title suggests, this gem boasts great characters, an inventive story, beautiful cinematography, an exhilarating sense of adventure, a fantastic, diverse soundtrack, emotional layers and an emotionally moving, yet equally exuberant script. Definitely a modern favorite, Slumdog Millionaire is a colorful one-of-a-kind epic truly deserving of its Oscar award.
½ January 11, 2015
#242 - I remembered this film as being pretty bad, but was mind numbingly dull the 2nd time round. The whole thing is just dribble and why on earth Mr. Boyle you need to put a credits dance number in is beyond belief. Also just remembered this won best film didn't it (googles other contenders that year*)...pretty poor year!!!
Robbanflix
February 26, 2009
This movie won 8 Oscars total this year which makes it a must see flick. So as a huge movie fan i am i had to see it course. You always have more expectations from a movie with all hype it makes. I liked the movie quite alot from the story till acting along with a nice music score aswell. Everything is well done with this flick in every aspect. But i can't really say its a masterpiece atleast not for me. The movie didn't caught me enough but still i enjoyed it and big movie fans will probably find some value in it. So its definitely a movie i can highly recommend.