Smash His Camera Reviews

January 16, 2012
Very interesting. An amazing look at a paparazzi photo journalist who has been reviled, and scorned, throughout his career - justifiably by some accounts. He, however, has taken some of the most unbelievable photos ever. He has held exhibitions, and even has a coffee table book of his photos that I might consider purchasing, thanks to this documentary.
½ February 12, 2011
Fairly interesting documentary about a really interesting guy. The first famous paparazzi.
January 14, 2011
We've seen most of this discussion on balancing the first amendment and privacy rights before, but in the final ten minutes where we see a number of young people confused as to who all these older celebrities are in Galella's photographs we realize that how fleeting accomplishment is.
½ December 13, 2010
One of the first well known paparazzi. This guy is a real pro at invading people's privacy. Should have been called 'Life of a professional stalker'.
½ June 14, 2012
Good movie it was interesting to see what the guy did and how he sneaked into places to take photos of celebritie it also shows photos from his archives and there are lots
October 18, 2011
Really interesting, entertaining and though provoking film about paparazzi in general, and one of the most long lasting paparazzi in particular: Ron Galella.
½ November 22, 2010
Interesting film about one papparizi in the 70's. The classic photos themselfs are worth watching this. As with everthing else it seemed a little more innocent back then and not the plauge it is today. I am for 1st ammended rights, but what is overlooked is that people make money off these photos, and somethimes a very good living. Take that away and we solve the problem, I can't put a photo of Tiger Woods on a product of mine and sell it. How come TMZ can show all this footage for free and turn a profit with out the consent of the celebrity. Even on COPS the crimnals have to agree, signing a release form.
blizzpirate
½ June 8, 2010
September 1, 2013
It could have been interesting but this film has not structure nor any script whatsoever.
½ November 8, 2012
I like this guy Ron, he is definitely hooked on being associated with celebrities.
People in his camp are a bit delusional in regard to Ms Onasis. Making statements implying that the interaction with Ron was in fact a relationship through the lens.
jackie made it very clear she didn't appreciate Ron's. He even says he didn't have a girlfriend at the time, so Jackie was kind of like his girlfriend. NO, she was the subject of you photograph.
Friends of Ron's talked about how Ron cared for Jackie & her children & wouldn't ever harm them.
To Jackie Ron is a stranger, following her, photographing her & her children.

There's also criticism from a real blowhard forget his name and a photographer from Sport Illustrated, who agrees that Ron's pictures capture great moments, but argues that the appeal is the subject, and it doesn't make any difference who photographed Liz Taylor.
I'm sure this guy would want credit for all the pictures he's taken of famous athletes.
I bet he considers many of the images art.
May 1, 2011
One sign of a really good documentary is when it presents an issue and lets the viewers decide what they think about it, instead of bashing you over the head with the filmmaker's opinions. This documentary about a long-running paparazzo interviews the man himself, plus people who love him and people who hate him and it made me think a lot about fame, celebrity, and the first amendment.
February 22, 2011
Wow, very odd film. You watch Ron Galella and he tells you what he thinks people think of him. Then you hear what people think of him. Makes you really wonder what you think of him.
November 27, 2010
I don't know if it is possible to make and interesting movie about a paparazzo, but I do know that the documentary Smash His Camera sure isn't.

It's about Ron Galella. Apparently, he's one of the most famous paparazzos working, although I have to admit I had never heard of him. I would have been curious to get inside his head. What's it like to be someone that I think is safe to call annoying, if that's even saying much. Smash His Camera looks that way some of the time, but most of the time is spent explaining how Galella took his most famous pictures, or the history of paparazzi.
Those things are not all that interesting to me. It just makes him look like a stalker.

There are some things that were pretty cool, however. It is pretty fascinating to see how seriously he takes his job. I don't think Galella does it because he needs to make money. Taking pictures of celebrities while hiding behind a bush seems like his passion. But even that only makes him look stranger to us.

Perhaps this guy is just weird, but I would have liked to have learned a little more about him to officially make that decision. Unfortunately, this movie does not offer us that information
November 11, 2010
Entertaining and well made. Galella is quite the annoying weirdo.
½ October 24, 2010
*** (out of four)

Today we all see those photo hounds who chase celebrities everywhere. They look like hacks as they feed the desire of some to see everything their favorite celeb is doing.

"Smash His Camera" takes a look back at one of the first people who stalked the famous for candid photos. His name is Ron Galella. He comes across as a fairly likeable guy, but he harassed poor Jackie O. constantly and was even punched out by Marlon Brando.

I like that the film allows the debate as to whether Galella was a genius with his lens or just a pathetic hack who preyed on the famous. As repulsive as some of his methods are, I couldn't help but he interested in many of the pictures he took.