Movies Like Smokey and the Bandit

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Smokey and the Bandit Reviews

KJ P

June 1, 2014
"Smokey and the Bandit" is one of those fun movies that you can easily watch over and over again without ever getting tired. It's a movie to relax with a movie to party with, and a movie to just simply laugh with. I had a blast watching "Smokey and the Bandit," and for any country music fans out there, the soundtrack to this film is just awesome. As a man known as the Bandit is asked to import 400 cases of Coors Light Beer, the county sheriff is on a high speed chase for almost 900 miles to take him and his partner down. It is a hilarious film filled with jokes and surprisingly a few emotional/touching moments. I really really liked this film!
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
I can't even begin to sit here and defend this movie. Like a lot of people, I grew up watching this movie on TV and VHS. It's definitely not a masterpiece, but yet, it is on its own terms (especially when you look at the bile-inducing sequels). Smokey and the Bandit is, to me at least, the greatest guilty pleasure of all time. Anyone that says that they hate this movie and they mean it, well I don't try to continue having a conversation with them. This is just pure fun, and that's all there really is to it. The plot is full of holes, the sound work is full of obvious overdubs and the performances aren't all that great at times. The one performance that still stands out to this day is Jackie Gleason's Buford T. Justice, which he should've been nominated for an Oscar for. I'm not quite sure why this movie's appeal has lasted over the course of the last 35 years, but one thing's for sure: this will continue to be watched on late night TV until the end of the world.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 5, 2011
This has proved to be one very popular film, especially where I come from. Even though I do kinda like this, I really don't think it's all that great, and I hope that people from back home don't find out, because I'd never hear the end of it.

This film, which doesn't really have a strong plot, is basically one long chase movie about a rebel who is tasked with going on an epic booklegging run from Texas to Georgia in 28 hours or less. On the way he picks up a runaway bride, and incurs the wrath of a Texas sheriff who is hell bent on stopping him. Unbeknownst to our hero is the main reason why the sheriff is after him: the runaway bride stood his son up at the altar.

Despite being a fun, funny, and entertaining chase movie, there's really no tension and suspense. Had Bandit known Sheriff Buford T. Justice's motive, then maybe there'd be a lot more to work with. Also, the audience could have used a better sense of how much time was left at various points during the movie. That also would have helped build up suspense.

Those are big flaws, but even then, there's something very likeable about this movie, even though it's pretty vacant. Burt Reynolds is charming and sly as Bandit, Jackie Gleason is an absolute riot as Justice. Sally Field may not be a supermodel or anything, but she's a good lookin' woman, and that's pretty evident her, especially since this was her in her (relatively) younger years.

I like silly, stupid, bonehead movies, but I was expecting more from this, especially since it seems to be so revered. It doesn't quite live up to its reputation, but I didn't totally hate it, and I'm glad I finally saw it. It is funny, and the cars and trucks are awesome, but this seems to take the easy way out and isn't what it could have been.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Loved it as a kid but on a re-watch I have to say I was a little shocked in places. It's also more obvious now how wasted Burt Reynolds was too. Still, good fun, cool cars and ace trucks, makes for a perfect bank holiday Monday viewing..
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

May 26, 2008
Also known as the movie that got every wannabe redneck to speak almost solely in CB slang. The film has it's moments in both the action and comedy realms, but falls short of being a classic. Still, Burt's charisma makes it seen that few others could have carried this film the way he did. Well, him and Ralph Cramden.
Jason O

February 13, 2011
The parts I always liked best in "The Dukes of Hazzard" (the TV show, not the horrid film) were the car action and chase scenes. But after FINALLY seeing "Smokey and the Bandit," though the Trans Am may not be as classic as the General Lee, both the action and the comedy is a lot better in this film than in the aforementioned popular TV series. It was also interesting watching Reynolds and Field star together while keeping in mind that they dated several years. Classic stuff here! I liked it so much I immediately watched its sequel.
AJ V

December 26, 2010
I half liked it, but I half didn't too. I didn't like the plot, it's pretty stupid. I hated the music too, they kept playing the same country song over and over. I did like the comedy and the car crashes though. Overall, it's okay.
Spencer S

December 13, 2009
Sometimes awesome is the only way to describe something, because it has no legs to stand on except that it's awesome. This is one of those times.
Dean !

January 6, 2007
This has some good stunts and car chases but looking a little old now.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

September 4, 2008
What can I say about this film that hasn't been said already? One of my favorites as a kid and I watched it anytime it was on HBO ( which was alot) but really how can you not love a movie that even Alfred Hitchcock called 'a guilty pleasure'? Smokey and the Bandit may not be Burt Reynolds, Sally Fields or Jackie Gleason's best movie - but it certainly will be one that they will be remembered for. The plot breakdown is fairly simple: Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed are trucking partners that are bet they can't deliver 400 cases of beer across two states in under 24 hours. Since that type of delivery is illegal (and incidentally, so is how Jerry Reed drives) Burt Reynolds distracts the "Smokies" by breaking every traffic law in sight with his '76 Trans Am. Add to that Sally Field as the runaway bride who tags along and Jackie Gleason as the jilted-father-in-law/'Smokey' and you can see why this movie was second-highest grossing movie in 1977 (beaten out by Star Wars).

This is not an intelligent movie. There are no Oscar-caliber performances and no brilliant direction. It doesn't change the fact that Smokey and the Bandit remains fun to watch and the lines are still funny after the fifth time you've seen it or the fifteenth. The car chases are filmed well; you'll notice that the car crashes are surpassed only a few years later by John Landis' The Blues Brothers.

Smokey and the Bandit is one of the best Southern Rock/muscle car/beer and pizza movies you can rent or catch on TBS (although you miss most of Jackie Gleason's dialogue if you catch it on cable.) Check it out!
Ken S

May 5, 2007
A funny romp across the highways of the South. The music and Gleason are a hoot!
thmtsang
thmtsang

September 1, 2007
Wild car chases. Good cast.
Cindy I

May 11, 2007
Don't let the revisionist critics fool you. This movie was HUGE when it first came out. Played for months. Anyone who said they didn't like it is lying. A fast, fun and funny movie.
garyX
garyX

March 25, 2007
One of the original red neck comedys, full of good 'ole boys, bar room brawls and smashed up police cars. Reynolds displays his usual charm, but it's pretty vacuous and dim-witted stuff. One for the kids.
Jason S

January 26, 2007
Come on. You have to like this flick.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
classic and fun
Michael G

November 20, 2006
Jackie Gleason makes this movie. And Fred. So does Fred.
Lee K

March 10, 2008
It was time for my annual Sherriff Buford T. Justice dose! Thought i would jump on here and actually review a few of the oldie but goodies as i rewatch them. What can't I say about this film? One of the best 70's Trucker themed movies of all time, a movie that actually gets me in the mood to listen to Jerry Reed's cd's, or country music in general for that fact, and last but not least the ever so excellent Jackie Gleason as the aforementioned sheriff. The movie in a whole was funny however its Buford's scenes with his son junior, that after all these years still provides me with that" I cant breathe " laugh. For the youngsters who have never heard of this let alone seen it in any form or capability, such as my 10 year old son...who mind you had to be coaxed with the "humour me" or the "do it for dad" pleas. He did seem to like the scene where Snowman after getting the shit kicked out of him at the bar repays them before leaving by running over their motorcycles, however is in a way diffrent genre then i was a kid...oh well whatta you gonna do? A great classic in my books!
Jonny C

July 5, 2008
Great fun. Burt Reynolds is wonderful as the bandit and Jackie Gleason is hilarious as his nemesis.
Sean S

January 14, 2007
Burt Reynold vs. Jackie Gleason in this Bandit vs. Smokie tale that is just fun.