Smokin' Aces Reviews

December 4, 2012
Smokin' Aces is a fun, entertaining ride from start to finish. Effectively directed by Joe Carnahan, this is a smartly crafted and exciting picture that should please action buffs looking for a good two hours to kill. The film does have limitations, and the film's script does fall apart in some areas, and you clearly see that in some scenes. I think it's a great shame because this had the potential of being one of the most stunning action thrillers to come out in quite some time. However, the acting and directing are top-notch and it's what keeps you involved and the film does have some action packed scenes, which overcomes its flaws. Smokin' Aces had so much more potential, and though it falls short in some areas, the great cast keep it going and the action is pretty intense. If that's what you're looking for, then this is the perfect film for you. Despite its lacking moments, the script is peppered with sharp, humorous dialogue which elevates the film significantly. The flaws are there, but at least the characters are colorful and are interesting, and the plot is good for what it is, however it could have been done a bit better. Joe Carnahan is a good director, and he is able to craft a good, entertaining picture and that's what Smokin' Aces is, a flawed, but entertaining film that overcomes its imperfection due to a great cast, effective and well written dialogue that is pretty funny and more than makes up for its plot flaws. If you're looking for a good little time waster, Smokin' Aces manages to be just that, and if you can easily get past the lacking moments, you're sure to have fun with this one.
July 25, 2007
A big cast, lotsa wild characters, big, bang, boom, bust'em up shootouts all finally tied to duh script that pulls the rug out from under all the previously stated good points. Too bad. Jeremy Piven does do an excellent job though, stand out really, especially a beautiful "hope is all gone" take.
January 28, 2012
Totally ridiculous fun! Sure it's a total Tarantino/Guy Ritchie knock-off, but I highly enjoy it for what it's main intention is: over-the-top characters, excessive violence and very funny!
paul o.
December 27, 2011
It wasn't that bad......if you like a shooter up action flick, this is pretty good. The story is terrible and the acting smells of piss but the action and obscure jokes are pretty good. Note that the action picks up 40 minutes into the film where its a free for all deathmatch.
½ March 17, 2007
A mob hit is ordered on a casino entertainer prompting a race against time between the FBI and various factions wanting to claim the $1 million dollar bounty on his life. This film is a throwback to the early 1990s when every film released seemed to be a full of characterful gangsters and wacky hitmen in a desperate attempt to jump on the Reservoir Dogs bandwagon. It can best be described as The Wacky Races with guns, as the hitmen (and women) race to reach their target, bumping each other off along the way. There are no clever twists or intellectual plot devices (the one "twist" is easy to guess and superfluous to the action anyway), just an extreme lack of subtlety and high bodycount. The cast is above par, and although I usually hate it when movies cast pop stars, Alicia Keys and Common actually acquit themselves quite well and Ray Liotta and Ryan Reynolds strike up quite an effective buddy partnership. With the high bullet count and holistic climax, the end product is very similar to a Guy Ritchie movie, but without the subtlety(!) although the inclusion of yet another bunch of comedy nazis is perhaps a bridge too far. There are one too many "wacky" characters to take it seriously, but it's an entertainingly daft high octane no brainer.
½ July 15, 2007
Ugh.This movie was so disappointing. There were a total of three characters I even remotely liked, and enough plot to MAYBE carry a seven minute short. This movie is too big, rambling, unweildy and disjointed to be worth anyone's attention. You can pick out moments where it's trying to be Reservoir Dogs, The Usual Suspects and Kung Fu Hutstle. I liked Lucky # Slevin so I thought I would like this. I was wrong.
January 12, 2010
You have to look at Smokin Aces in a very particular way. Sure, it's complete nonsense and over the top in just about every way possible. However, there's something about it that is really fun and cool. The plot is straight forward enough, but the execution is so incredibly bonkers. Whether it's the ten different storylines, high contrast lighting, cartoonish assassins or subplots galore, Smokin Aces is chalk full of content. It's easy to either hate this movie or fully embrace it's craziness and just enjoy the ride. I tend to go back and forth depending on my mood.There's so many different actors and characters thrown in this that you're bound to find at least one that you can find interesting.
March 26, 2011
A horrible film, it was poorly made, bad acting, and made me want to leave the room.
½ January 22, 2007
WOW.. There's lot of good actors like here that made this movie had a great cast... Ben Affleck, Andy Garcia, Alicia Keys, Ray Liotta, Jeremy Piven, Ryan Reynolds, Taraji P. Henson, Chris Pine, and many more, just made this movie more interestingly to be watched... The story about one man targeted by a bunch of killers made this action movie really interesting because there'll be a lot of good action scenes in here... The twist they gave in the ending was a little bit shocking for me... Overall, it's a full packed action movie with lot of action scenes with great cast and pretty good story, but that's all this movie have because the truth is nothing special in this movie...
½ November 28, 2008
Saw it again, Good movie, lots of popular actors, and great action story! 3 actors from the Lost series were involved in this movie which was cool to know.

Buddy "Aces" Israel, (Jeremy Piven), is a self-indulgent headliner magician at the MGM's main ballroom who grew up inside the Las Vegas mob, headed by mob boss, Primo Sparazza (Joseph Ruskin). "Aces" is a wannabe gangster who believes he has the brains to start his own gang and become his own mob boss. This move doesn't sit well with the real mob boss, who places a $1,000,000 contract on "Aces". When the contract hits the street, it brings out all sorts of psychopathic killers from around the world.

"Aces" needs protection, so he is willing to turn state's evidence against the mob in return for witness protection and not going to prison. While he awaits the negotiations between his lawyer and the FBI, he is holed up in the penthouse suite of the Nomad Casino in Lake Tahoe, Nevada with his homies and some hookers. "Ace's" location must be an open secret, because all the hit men ascend to Lake Tahoe and converge on the penthouse to cash in on a big payday.

Ace is illegitimate son of Sparazza, who is really a rogue FBI agent who took his identity years earlier. Sparazza wants him killed so he can have his heart transplanted, as his is failing. The FBI want to make this happen so they can get info on mob activities from Sparazza. FBI agent Messner (Ryan Reynolds), who lost his partner in the shootouts, is disgusted by the new information, and pulls the plug on the life support systems for both father and son.
January 21, 2007
One review I read said that this film sees like it's trying to be a violent version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (and that it was probably even pitched that way). I agree with said reviewer about how coll that would have been. Too bad that's not the case.

Here's the deal, I was entertained by this movie, and had fun watching it, but it's not really that good. The script is really undercooked, there's like maybe one character worth caring about, almost all of the characters are thinly developed caricatures, it takes too long for thigns get started, and, once they do, the results are underwhelming and disappointing. I didn't care much for the third act revelation/twist, but in a sick way I did find it darkly humorous (I'm talking bitter gallwos humor here)- which may have been the original intent. The editing got a little annoying (sometimes it's hard to tell what the hell is going on). The way things unfold is okay, but it's been handled better (see also Traffic and other films with intersecting storylines).

This all feels derivative of Ritchie and Tarantino, (or also Troy Duffy), which only bothers me when it's mishandled, as it is here. There are some things I liked though. I liked that there is an ensemble casdt and that Carnahan takes risks by showing that just because A-listers are present doesn't mean that they'll stick around for very long. There are a few really good moments with genuine surprises, and some just plain old good scenes period...they're just few and far between. Reynolds is probably the best, especially since his role is the most fleshed out. I really liked Chris Pine though- he just steals the show and really hams it up providing some memorable moments of whacked out funny/scary. Piven is also good at playing coked out.

As wild and nutty as this all is though, it's a real mess. It seems to be as coked out as Piven's character, but that doesn't really help much. The only real film where they kind of thing worked was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (and even that is hardly watchable-it's at least really good though).

I don't really recommend it, but if you do see it, don't expect it to be as great as it could have been.
June 24, 2010
i love this movie. A-
January 24, 2007
Smokin' Aces is a film that tries hard, and in doing so is one that is not going to be easy to describe. The basic plot revolves around the central character "Aces" who is testifying against the mob, and in return has a contract out on his head. Locked away in his suite in Las Vegas, he is protected by the Fed, but there are multiple contract killers (all different from each as can be imagined!) out to get him.

First hour seems to be stuck piecing the different contract killers together and their background, whilst the Fed are shown to be trying to figure out what is going on. No one set of actors though gets above the others, and in doing so you have multiple stories in the film tied into the whole premise of the film. Acting is great by the general assemble which includes fine performances by Andy Garcia and Ray Liotta.

Problematically, the film tries to be too cool at the start, and reminds me too much of "Things to do in Denver...." and so on. In addition, the film is really confusing at points but is worth persevering with nevertheless. The complexity makes it very original, and you never know where its going, but it wraps up together in the last 30mins which are more than worth the cinema ticket alone.

No classic, but enjoyable, original and interesting overall..
September 4, 2007
I Loved It!!!
Amazing Shoot Up Movie with an Amazing Cast!!
its like shoot em up but different interesting storyline its completely worth a watch, i love ray liotta!
½ June 8, 2009
Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Ben Affleck, Peter Berg, Jeremy Piven, Alicia Keys, Common, Andy Garcia, Brian Bloom, Jason Bateman, Taraji Henson, Chris Pine, Kevin Derand, Maury Sterling, Matthew Fox

DIRECTED BY: Joe Carnahan

In these interlocking tales of high stakes and low life's, Mob boss Primo Sparazza has taken out a hefty contract on Buddy "Aces" Israel--a sleazy magician who has agreed to turn state's evidence against the Vegas mob. The FBI, sensing a chance to use this small-time con to bring down big-target Sparazza, places Aces into protective custody-under the supervision of two agents dispatched to Aces' Lake Tahoe hideout. When word of the price on Aces' head spreads into the community of ex-cons and cons-to-be, it entices bounty hunters, thugs-for-hire, smokin' hot vixens and double-crossing mobsters to join in the hunt. With all eyes on Tahoe, this rogues' gallery collides in a comic race to hit the jackpot and rub out Aces.

Being a huge fan of Ryan Reynold's, I thought it was time to see this movie. I enjoyed the ride this movie takes you on. Bits of twists and turns. Good acting by all. There is a lot of talent in this movie. Surprised that Alicia was good. The movie started off slow, but eventually picked up the pace. Lots of action and really good twisted characters. It's a good little action flick.
January 18, 2010
Enjoyable for maybe a couple views, but that's about it, and then it get's boring
February 16, 2007
It's one wildly entertaining and original thriller. Its an intense, hard-core, explosive, gritty, brutally shocking and a red-hot psycho roller-coaster ride. Smart, stylish, original, frequently funny and totally over the top. Filled with explosive action and mind-blowing suspense that will knock you out. An energetic bloodbath that just keeps getting better. A fantastic cast of first-rate talents. Jeremy Piven is electrifying. Ryan Reynolds is a pure knockout. Andy Garcia is terrific. The cast is outstanding. Riveting and exhilarating. A pure guilty pleasure. An awesome adrenaline-rush. It has surprising human affection. Director, Joe Carnahan has taken his style in directing to create a high-octane, barrels blazing classic with a rhythm all of it's own. It thrives on chaos like Tony Scott's Domino or Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers.
½ December 11, 2009
Smokin' Aces is not such a bad film. Its got violence, double crossing, and the mob. Only just the fact that I've seen it all before and the end cascaded like any other thriller with a twist that you didnt expect. Now had the things I expected happened it may have been better. If you like this watch Domino another film, nearly exactly the same, different actors.
½ January 22, 2007
This battle of FBI, bounty hunters and professional killers for the life of an important witness is as wild and entertaining as it sounds and the trailer promises. The colliding characters are colorful, fun and interesting and the body count doesn't necessarily take the order one would expect, considering some of the big names entering this contest. Fans of "Lost" should watch out for a very interesting pairing, for example. The fact that this movie doesn't care who is expected to make it out alive may be too much to stomach for some viewers but is actually part of the charm. It's everything but predictable and the action, while being comic-esque and over the top at times, kicks in pretty well. Although the movie doesn't take itself too seriously (but could have spared us the karate kid) the tone gets rather serious in the end and even gives us a nice little "Usual suspects" twist. Cool!