Smokin' Aces - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokin' Aces Reviews

½ October 3, 2007
It becomes known information that a snitch (Jeremy Piven) is ready to give information on the mob. As a result there is a one million dollar hit on him and several different assassins and hit squads are out for him in his top story penthouse. FBI partners Ryan Reynolds and Ray Liotta are out to keep him protected from all the various killers. It has some great action and violence and over the top characters. The cast is quite varied from all sorts of entertainment. As Piven rests at the top of the hotel penthouse, each of the assassins has a different method of getting to the top. Force, Stealth, Disguises and Schemes are all different methods. The film has a Tarentino like finish as they climb to the top. Smokin' Aces has some confusing presentation elements, but was overall entertaining.
April 24, 2016
This movie tries to be more clever than it actually is with a plot that is hard to understand due to the fact that we are introduced to so many cast members in such a short time we have no clue what was going on and the twists through the film lose any shock value due to the fact that the whole story isn't explained well, There was some good violent action and some bits were clever, but apart from that we go away from this film feeling kind of numb and dissapointed.
April 23, 2016
Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.
½ March 16, 2016
This movie was totally awesome! Several layers of unexpected action that keep you on the edge of your seat throughout this entire thrill ride! Keys is terrific and Common is superb! Another reason that goes to show sometimes these critics are on Crystal Meth!
½ March 13, 2016
stylish and violent. Pretty good
½ February 28, 2016
I think you may need to be 'on something' to appreciate this film ? It's a bit too wacky for me. But still 3 Stars because it 'had it's moments'.
½ February 17, 2016
Good except for the ghetto trash talk.
½ September 23, 2007
It's not great, but there are a few creative scenes that make it worth the watch.
½ November 24, 2015
Lock, stock and devoid of the cleverness and wit.
½ September 8, 2015
I actually liked it a bit. It's not a good movie in the slightest when we're talking Oscars, but it more like a Boondock Saints where I know it's a poorly executed film but I liked it anyways for the action and what not. Smokin Aces is just a fun film.
½ October 16, 2015
Huge mess of bullets and violence, a convoluted hotchpotch of supposed plot points and storyline which isn't really humorous or interesting. In short, loads of smokes but no aces.
October 2, 2015
Everybody wants to create a Tarantino like movie and this proves that's not easy and here it's impossible.
½ September 22, 2015
A unique, entertaining, and admittedly badly written clusterf*ck of a movie. Regardless, it's still quite interesting and enjoyable, as pure spectacle if nothing else. Its best aspect is the intentionally over the top and bizarre performances from its cast. Definitely worth watching, just don't expect much coherency.
½ September 21, 2015
Funny uniques characters, witty dialogue, good pacing and music, and a good twist at the end.
September 4, 2015
LOVED IT!!
A HYPER ADRENALINE FILLED FILM!!
½ June 8, 2013
objectively terrible but it very well might have one of my favorite endings of any movie i've seen and for that it gets an extra star
½ August 19, 2015
Terrible movie. Poor script. Ridiculous characters straight from a comic book. Not believable in any way. Full of gratuitous violence. A total waste of time. Don't bother watching it.
August 15, 2015
10 minutes in, they were still explaining guarantees. It's an overly complicated mob film.
August 12, 2015
Great cast, mad characters, explosions, guns... very funny =)
February 2, 2007
Spoiler filled review

The topsy turvey twisting Oceanâ(TM)s Eleven knockoff that is Smokinâ(TM) Aces flipped,kicked, and turned me into liking it more than I thought. I say Ocean¢(TM)s Eleven meaning that it really started out like one in the series. The music, Location, The character/storyline setups, and heck it even had Andy Garcia. But somewhere between a chainsaw and a kid with numbchucks it turned into it¢(TM)s own movie. And that movie was great. The Casting was amazing and probably was my second favorite thing about this movie. Andy Garcia, Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Alicia Keys, Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Peter Berg, Common, Jeremy Piven, Chris Pine, Kevin Durand, Mathew Fox, and if you got ¢Booger¢? from Revenge of the Nerds in your movie you definitely can¢(TM)t lose. A well put together piece about a ¢hit¢? and who¢(TM)s gonna claim it first. Simple yet complex at the same time.

Comic Book Movie Plus: Ben Affleck - Daredevil, Kevin Durand - X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Ryan Reynolds - Green Lantern & X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Nudity Bonus: Janet Edwards: Naked Prostitute (19:42/26:52)(T)