63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Average Rating: 2.5/5
User Ratings: 3,274

My Rating

Movie Info

When an everyday thirtysomething is fired from his job, his unemployment woes are soon compounded as the ticking of his wife's maternal clock reaches a deafening pitch, and his overbearing mother announces plans to move in with the struggling couple. Dax Shepard, Liv Tyler, and Diane Keaton star in a film directed by Vince Di Meglio, co-scripted by Di Meglio and Tim Rasmussen, and produced by Rasmussen, Bill Johnson, and Jay Roach. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

PG-13,

Drama, Comedy

May 5, 2009

Variance Films

Watch It Now

Cast

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

All Critics (9) | Top Critics (2) | Fresh (3) | Rotten (5) | DVD (1)

Smother feels like the sort of misbegotten curiosity Comedy Central uses to fill its Sunday afternoon programming.

October 3, 2008 Full Review Source: L.A. Weekly
L.A. Weekly
Top Critic IconTop Critic

suffers from a distinct 'been there, done that' feeling to it

August 16, 2009 Full Review Source: 7M Pictures
7M Pictures

doomed from conception

April 21, 2009 Full Review Source: Filmcritic.com
Filmcritic.com

Not exactly unequivocal accolades for the mom in your life, nor is it Mommie Dearest packing closet hangers. But there's a decided appreciation for the woman who raised you, warts and all, and debriefing of an assortment of lingering childhood grudges.

April 16, 2009 Full Review Source: NewsBlaze
NewsBlaze

Perhaps Diane Keaton was poisoned by merciless Asian gangsters with strict instructions to make two career-denting comedies that methodically peel away her integrity before she was allowed the sweet kiss of a life-saving antidote.

September 25, 2008 Full Review Source: BrianOrndorf.com
BrianOrndorf.com

This film has its share of crass, unlikely jokes, but also allows its characters some psychological complexity.

June 7, 2008 Full Review Source: The Age (Australia)
The Age (Australia)

Director and co-screenwriter Vince di Meglio handles this thin material without much subtlety.

May 15, 2008 Full Review Source: At the Movies (Australia)
At the Movies (Australia)

Filled with crazy situations, this comedy of errors may not work 100% of the time, but there are enough laughs to allow us to delight in its lunacy, and enough home truths about families and mother/son relationships, to be touched.

May 7, 2008 Full Review Source: Urban Cinefile
Urban Cinefile

Audience Reviews for Smother

I don't understand all the bad reviews of this film. I was laughing out loud throughout. I thought that this movie had many, many chuckle moments, and I'm not all that easy to please when it comes to comedies. Dax Shepard just cracked me up. Diane Keaton was alot on the kooky side, but I still enjoyed her. I'm so glad that I watched it in spite of what I'd read about it.
November 30, 2010
itsjustme2004

CAST: Dax Shepard, Liv Tyler, Diane Keaton, Mike White, Ken Howard, Selma Stern, Jerry Lambert, Don Lake

DIRECTED BY: Vince Di Meglio

SUMMARY: After losing his job, therapist Noah Cooper (Dax Shepard) returns home to discover that his loud, pushy mother (Diane Keaton) has left her husband and plans to live indefinitely with Noah and his lovely wife (Liv Tyler) -- who desperately wants him to sire a child. Now, the put-upon therapist has to cope with his outrageously overbearing mom and fend off his wife ? all while trying to find gainful employment.

MY THOUGHTS: "Not very funny, but interesting enough to watch. I felt like I have seen Diane Keaton play this role before and then remember that she kinda has, like in, 'Because I said So' and 'Mama's Boy'. So it wasn't that big of a stretch for her to play an overbearing mother who is quite annoying. I thought the karaoke scene was funny, but not much in this film was. It had its moments, very few, but still they were there."
June 26, 2010
LWOODS04
♥˩ƳИИ ƜѲѲƉƧ♥

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Smother on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT