—— The Identical Sep 05

Snake Eyes Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

June 19, 2012
'Ricky' Santoro: It isn't lying! You just tell them what you did right, and you leave out the rest!

"Believe everything except your eyes."

Snake Eyes is a tale of two halves. The first half was amazing, exciting, and just a great setup for a thriller. The second half didn't live up to the standards of the first, and ended up only disappointing me. Still, this was an interesting and cool film from De Palma. It isn't up there with his best, but it is still a lively and entertaining thriller. The endings disappointment may be a little too much for most, but I was able to get over it and still find enjoyment with the whole production. Even when the movie ended up running out of steam at about the hour mark; it still managed to be pretty cool and never got boring. Part of the entertainment is the eccentric performance from Nicholas Cage. This performance from him came when he wasn't a complete laughingstock. I am one of the few who actually like his eccentric performances in movies like this and Bad Lieutenant. It's when he sleepwalks through performances in shitty movies, that I hate him.

I'll only talk about the setup for Snake Eyes as I don't want to give away too many details. Ricky is a corrupt cop, who is at a heavyweight fight. He has money down on the favorite. As the fight goes on, he and everyone else witness an assassination. He, along with his naval friend, try to figure out everyone who was behind this; as it wasn't just the shooter. There's a major plot twist that De Palma sort of undersells, but probably because it was predictable. The film could have taken a few different routes and the one Koepp and De Palma chose may not be the best, but as it is, it isn't too bad.

Just don't expect another masterpiece from De Palma with Snake Eyes. It is definitely not up to standards with the best of his work. Still, it is a cool little thriller. Nothing more and nothing less. When looked at as it is, it isn't too bad. I know a lot of people hate it just because it has another wacky performance from Cage. More people hate it because the ending didn't really wrap it up in a satisfactory way. For me, I like it because of Cage and because of the amazing setup. It could have been much better, but it is a decent effort nonetheless.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 2, 2011
Brian DePalma's Snake Eyes is a pretty bad thriller. The concept of Snake Eyes was great, and I quite enjoyed the idea, however the execution of the plot isn't poor, and Brian DePalma, who usually directs good films, is pretty sloppy this time around. Snake Eyes could have been something great, but instead it's an awful film that simply doesn't cut it. I felt that the writing was sloppy and the film was one of those films that didn't know what to do with an elaborate concept. This is exactly the problem with Snake Eyes, the filmmakers don't know how to effectively develop the films plot to truly be something that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Snake Eyes conclusion leaves a lot to be desired and is frankly disappointing. The film could have been good, but it never delivers anything spectacular. Nicholas Cage overacts his part, and it becomes laughable. Snake Eyes may have had a good idea for its plot, but Brian DePalma and the cast really don't know how to make it work so that it is effectively entertaining for the viewer. After watching Snake Eyes, I was really thrilled overall, and was very disappointed. I've seen quite a few DePalma films, and he's a good director, but Snake Eyes is one of his worst films. DePalma does his best to try and conceive an effective thriller, unfortunately his efforts are wasted, and Snake Eyes ends up being a bad film that is quite frankly a waste of time. This film could have been much better, but instead it doesn't do anything to thrill the viewer. Usually a thriller sucks you in by the first frame, and leaves you hooked, Snake Eyes does the opposite, it sucks you in, but doesn't do anything great to capture your imagination, and thus it's quite a lame thriller.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 29, 2008
When it comes to thrillers, Brian De Palma's name always comes to the top of my list as one of the living masters. In his polical conspiracy thriller Snake Eyes, we have an extremely effective film that is very much in the De Palma style with the long uncut sequences and split-screen scenes while also carrying what is perhaps Nicolas Cage's finest performance outside of Raising Arizona. Of course this sort of film gets made a lot and they all come a dime a dozen these days but with De Palma behind this one it all just fits perfectly and works. The only thing that bothers me is the pseudo-happy ending, which I won't spoil. I'm a huge fan of De Palma as he's one of my favorite directors and this film is just another in a long line of great pieces of cinema from the master. Riveting and entertaining with his style written all over it, you can't go wrong.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

September 14, 2011
In Snake Eyes, De Palma has made a film that is deeply immersing and one that makes sure you're giving it your unrelenting attention (at least until the last twenty minutes) that isn't on a really grand scale like in Mission: Impossible. Snake Eyes is a relatively straight forward mystery, detective film; much like Mission: Impossible yet unlike that film, it is compelling and interesting with characters we spend enough time with to grow to like and despise; with characters who drift in and out of the story and with camera work, setting and trickery more akin to a sports car commercial.

One reason Snake Eyes is a good film is that it takes place in a rather extravagant setting, has a narrative that starts off as nothing and that escalates as the film progresses and combines good pacing and scripting throughout. This is sort of the film Mission: Impossible wanted to be but that was all over the world with characters who you thought were dead but showed up later anyway and a film that was nice to look at but there was too much going on - Snake Eyes is based in one location, a location that starts off as a utopia for gambling, sports fans and people looking for a break. There is color, energy, bright lights from the gambling machines and enough product placement to suggest you are definitely in the Western world attempting to go from rags to the American dream in a second through one-arm bandits.

De Palma prides himself on his camera work and split screen effect. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses but in Snake Eyes it hits dead centre. The opening take (which actually contains a few cuts) is fun as well as effective but very immersing - putting you in the film. Also, the way multiple points of view are integrated into the film as different people's stories are being told is reminiscent of characters floating in and out of a multi stranded, non-linear graphic novel. Apart from the visual pleasantries most good films made in the post classical Hollywood era have; the film's story does hold up, albeit weak. There is something about government weapons and how one person's disagreement can lead to betrayal within the armed forces resulting in a lot of pain, death and panic in an instant - that instant just happens to be at a big money boxing match.

The film and its narrative move along at a good pace - twists are revealed when necessary and even when they are, twists in the form of further betrayal within that antagonistic group are very entertaining. My particular favorite scene or sequence involves a girl who everyone is looking for: the protagonist police man because she's a witness and the antagonist backstabber because she knows who really did it; needless to say, the whole fifteen minute sequence revolving around her trying to escape them by posing as a loose girl just to get to the safe haven of a hotel suite is brilliant to watch as each side hunt her, she desperately tries to get to the room and the chief of security watches everyone's every move through CCTV.

Like I said in the opening paragraph: 'everything's good until the last twenty minutes' certainly comes into play in Snake Eyes. I read that the ending was changed but some scenes such as Cage's 'I thought I was going to drown in there' had me wondering what the ell he was on about but further reading says the first ending involved a tidal wave (all is suddenly clear); also, the whole following of Cage's character to the desired place by the bad guy followed by the way he is defeated from a winning position (thanks to the weather and his own stupidity) was disappointing. It's not all bad; at one point Cage must contemplate siding with the bad guy and as he does so, stares down at a blood soaked dollar note after being offered a price to stay quiet in return for actual bloodshed which was a nice piece of iconography. I have to recommend Snake Eyes for its great visuals, fun yet entertaining plot and for its all round noir/crime-feel.
Ken S

March 26, 2007
Decent movie, great cinematography.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 26, 2007
strange but good
Conner R

March 30, 2010
Only Nicolas Cage would have a golden cell phone and wear a yellow flowered shirt as the eccentric dirty cop, Rick Santoro. Nothing screams ā??Crazy Nic Cageā?? like this, it is by far his most deranged performance. The actual movie itself is surprisingly good, itā??s Brian De Palma going back to his roots and presenting a very fun and exciting thriller. I loved the return of the split screen and glossy tint to the film, it puts you back to his 70s and 80s projects. I think what sets this above most others like it is the way it is shot, which is amazingly original. It has a lot of homages to classics like Rashamon and The Killing, but also having itā??s own spin.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Brian De Palma certainly rolls a pair of snake eyes on this one!
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

September 3, 2009
Has some cool shots and tries to be innovative but the plot has some holes and the script could be better. Pretty standard Cage and Sinise performances which are enjoyable.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 8, 2007
i thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and you dont see some of the twists coming its action and comedy and really entertaining and really worth a wat5ch!
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Good cast and plot. A detective witnesses a murder at a boxing match and they have to find the murderer amongst the crowds. I was in Atlantic City when they were filming the fight scenes.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

May 15, 2008
I am not a Nicholas Cage fan by any means, though some of his roles occasionally do stand out as nothing less than classic. 8mm, Leaving Las Vegas...Snake Eyes is certainly not one of them. This movie is slow and drawn out and not even the acting of Gary Sinise or the musical score of legendary Japanese producer Ryuichi Sakamoto can save this mess. Cage plays the ultra-annoying Rick Santoro, a detective in Atlantic City who suddenly finds himself trying to solve a murder during a fixed boxing match. Typical Brian DePalma stuff, which means it's only decent at best. It could've been better.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 7, 2008
Starts well....and about halfway the whole thing colapses in one of the messiest ways i have seen in any film to date. At least it introduced me to Carla Gugino too, who is a very fine piece of female anatomy.
deano
deano

February 11, 2007
The story in this thriller movie is a miidly clever conspiracy piece, in good company with director Brian De Palma's Blow Out.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 13, 2007
I went through a 'nicolas cage' phase in middle school and saw this one. Boy. Garbagio.
Pierluigi P

July 9, 2007
DePalma knows exactly how to move the camera, create the mood for suspense, especially in the first and marvelous travelling shot. but the weakness of the plot and the ludicrous ending seriously damaged the whole film, until that point it was intriguing and fun. good performances by Nicolas Cage and the sexy Carla Gugino.
Cindy I

May 16, 2007
Not a really good flick all around, but not bad. Has a great intro with Nic Cage walking through the arena while he's on the phone that's done without any cuts.
Dean !

May 16, 2007
An ok thriller set at a large hotel on fight night after the assassination of the Secretary of Defense. Makes good use of flash backs from different characters perspectives. Ok for a nights viewing.
garyX
garyX

March 8, 2007
This workmanlike thriller from Brian DePalma has his usual visual gimmickry in effect, and has some nice shades of Rashomon (or Jackie Brown) in showing various scenarios from different perspectives. The script is suspect, but it is presented with CSI-like panache.
Michael S

March 4, 2007
Another underrated De Palma movie.