92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Se ying diu sau) (Eagle's Shadow) Reviews

Anthony L

April 4, 2013
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow seems to me to have been tragically overlooked and missed by many. It's the perfect balance of martial arts and humour. It's the first film that really put Jackie Chan on peoples radars and personally I much prefer seeing him in his original roles rather than the now stereotype roles he takes in Hollywood. Often when I'm recommended a good martial arts film it's either too heavy on the humour and doesn't have enough action or vice versa, this is the perfect balance, if all martial arts films were like this I'd be a much bigger fan of the genres.
deano
deano

December 13, 2006
Good kung fu comedy genre.
Steven V

October 28, 2007
Good kung fu comedy genre. It's completely bare-bones production. This movie still enthralls cinema cultists, and it will surely open a whole new frontier for mainstream cinephiles.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

November 15, 2009
Groundbreaking kung-fu comedy that is more comedy than kung-fu. Some good slapstick and ridiculous sound effects, and a historical turning point for Jackie.

Fights/stunts:
--------------
washing the floor (doesn'r sound like much but some great inventive agility)
old man moves Jackie's body through kung-fu motions like a puppet during street fight
final one-on-one where he breaks out the Snake in Eagle's Shadow style
November 18, 2007
I remember trying to watch some of Jackie's earlier films from the late-70s/early-80s before stuff like Police Story and Wheels On Meals. I couldn't do it.

Then, I saw this at the Portland Grindhouse Film Festival. Color me stunned, happy, and in love with this movie! GO KITTY CAT, GO!! :D
ChrisApocalypse
April 3, 2007
Not a lot of people know, or can appreciate how great this movie is. However, I can, and I always will. The dvd version has a different soundtrack than the original that I saw, and own on vhs. The original soundtrack is awesome!
reflectionsofashadow
December 13, 2006
Another great Chan film... Although the plot was kind of thin, the fight scenes were entertaining as hell... I really enjoy these older Chan films because he seems to focus more on the form of the art instead of pure choreography.
BWScott
November 18, 2006
This is Jackie Chan before Hollywood, much better the fighting is incredible and is a great story of the development of a fighting style sometimes called SnakeTalon, also Snake-Crane
December 28, 2013
um dos meus filmes favoritos e ponto final...
Sarfaraz Abbasi
May 11, 2013
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow directorial debut by Yuen Woo-ping (Drunken Master). Starring Jackie Chan and Yuen Siu Tien (father of the director Yuen woo-ping). Yuen Woo-ping directed another film same year with Jackie Chan and Yuen Siu Tien called 'Drunken Master".

Chien (Jackie Chan) is an orphan floor-cleaner at kung fu school. He was adopted by a kung fu school, he is mandhandled by new ridiculous master using him as punching-bag to demonstrate to new entrants. Jackie feels hurt at such mistreatment - he bumps into a begger (Yuen Siu Tien) being beaten by rude next-door kung-fu school. Jackie offers him food and place to stay. Upon finding out the misery of Chien the old man teaches him self-defense skills (the old man is last survivor of snake style kung fu fight master being hunted by Eagle Claw masterr) but offers him more training to use hands and feet.

Excellent film, emotionally moving, tremendously outclass at portraying phenomenon fight training by Jackie Chan especially fisting in the air with stand-still bowl full-of-warm-water unshakeable. Film bears good fight scenes and training. Climax fight though short yet affordable.

NOTE: I still can't forget the climax fights of Drunken Master, The Young Master and The Legend of Drunken Master II
April 14, 2013
Teachings are only as valuable as the lessons they serve, putting wisdom into practice with understanding shows how promising one can learn from it.
March 7, 2013
Excellent martial arts film, with a young Jackie Chan,showing his great talent for Kung Fu as well as for drama sprinkled some comic moments.The best moments are certainly wonderfully choreographed fighting and the friendly character of the beggar.
Cash
November 3, 2012
Breezy, campy, and soft "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" was Jackie Chan's first taste of domestic popularity. While it lacks the sophistication and panache of Chan's future releases and ultimately pales in comparison to its fraternal twin ("Drunken Master") "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" is still even by contemporary standards a fun way to knockout 90 minutes of your day.
June 3, 2012
It is a great classic with great humor and great fight choreography and great fight scenes as well.
John Serrano
July 1, 2012
It may be as (or even more) cheesy than the many other similar chopsocky films that were inspired by it, but Snake in The Eagle's Shadow is a kung fu classic. Fantastic fight scenes and a top-form Jackie Chan is all you need for a great kung fu film. The story may be frustrating and flat, and the cheesiness gets a bit in the way, but you can still easily enjoy the film that started Jackie's career.
June 25, 2012
Such a great classic!
April 4, 2012
The film has a little bit of a story, but only what is needed to fill in the spaces between the fight scenes.
David H.
September 17, 2010
A Grenade of a Kung Fu Movie Jackie Chan is hillarious in his Tragicomic Part of a Poor Young Man who is a Talented Fighter but get used as Cleanboy, Kitchen Help and Punching Ball in a Kung Fu School which he is terrorized by the Mean Teachers who are only in Charge because the Big Master is otherwise and then gets the Pupil of a other Kung Fu Master who is a Rebel and in Trouble with the Secret Police which are also High Skilled Kung Fu Fighters. It's the Perfect Combination of High Skilled Martial Arts, Charming Humour, Touching Drama, beautiful Pictures of the Chinese Culture & Nature and Beautiful Music. It's also contains Superb Camera Work and is the perfect Movie for Learning Kung Fu because it explains the Basics. Unforgotten Scene when he learend the Tiger Style from his Cat who beat a Python.
Dave J
September 8, 2010
Wednesday, September 8, 2010

(1978) Snake in the Eagles Shadow
(In Chinese with English subtitles)

Jackie Chan's breakthrough film since he was still doing alot of mediocre films with Lo Wei(Wei Lo) by trying to have Jackie as well as other actors imitate Bruce Lee after his untimely death! And because Jackie still had a contract with Lo Wei and that the films weren't doing too well at the Hong Kong boxoffice he decided to "loan" Jackie Chan out to another studio- some you may have seen which in my view suck like "New Fist of Fury" made in 1976 and Killer Meteors made during the same year to name a few..
The result was a boxoffice hit with Hong Kong audiences resulting to audiences wanting to see more. But because Jackie was working with director and martial art affionardo Yuen Woo- Ping, tensions clashed. This was because Yuen Woo- Ping hired "Korean" born martial arts master Hwong Jang Lee (who can't understand a speck of Chinese) as the lead vilian who actually punched and kicked Jackie for real(notice near the film's end while Jackie was talking he was missing a tooth which was not like that in much of the film) Because Jackie was getting the sh-t kicked out of him for real by this Korean born martial artist- Jackie wanted director Yuen Woo- Ping to fire him even vowed to make sure that he'd never have Jang Lee work in the film industry ever again and Yuen obviously didn't listen to him otherwise he wouldn't have called Hwong Jang Lee back to do "Drunken Master" released later on during the year! Ironically, after "Snake in the Eagles Shadow" and "Drunken Master" became major hits in Hong Kong, Jackie claimed that all of this was his idea and never worked with Yuen Woo- Ping ever again (Don't give credit where credit is due)- If you ask me the comedy routines was Jackie's idea but being hit for real was Yuen Woo- Ping's idea or it just sort of happen by accident! And as far as I know those two films were the only ones Hwong Jang Lee ever starred in- for the last time I've heard of what he was up to, he was teaching martial arts in some school in Japan!

This is another one of those films that sounds better in Chinese than with the English dubbing! One of the best highlights include tying a real live cat onto a post with a real live snake! This scene was key for Jackie to beat his nemesis!

4/4
Danetto
November 6, 2009
Everyone has a movie, or a book, or a song that he considers HIS. That he's grown up with, that he knows by heart and that he can always watch and never get tired of.
Well, that's what this movie is for me.
It was the first movie I remember having seen from beginning to end. And after that, I've rewatched and rewatched it. I haven't seen it now for about a year, but I think that I still now it by heart (the German version. haha).
I know, it's not a very good movie. The story is cheesy, the acting is mediocre and the fights are not as good as others are.
But this movie is my Captain, oh Captain. It's my Invictus. It's what made me be interested into storytelling, into movies and also into Martial Arts.
I remember myself watching it when I had a bad time. And I also remember an evening where me and my brother staged the whole movie through, by heart. haha!
Now tell me, what's your Snake in the Eagle's Shadow?