Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Se ying diu sau) (Eagle's Shadow) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (Se ying diu sau) (Eagle's Shadow) Reviews

deano
December 13, 2006
Good kung fu comedy genre.
October 28, 2007
Good kung fu comedy genre. It's completely bare-bones production. This movie still enthralls cinema cultists, and it will surely open a whole new frontier for mainstream cinephiles.
DrStrangeblog
½ November 15, 2009
Groundbreaking kung-fu comedy that is more comedy than kung-fu. Some good slapstick and ridiculous sound effects, and a historical turning point for Jackie.

Fights/stunts:
--------------
washing the floor (doesn'r sound like much but some great inventive agility)
old man moves Jackie's body through kung-fu motions like a puppet during street fight
final one-on-one where he breaks out the Snake in Eagle's Shadow style
June 9, 2015
Saw this on Crackle a few weeks ago and it had Jackie Chan in it too. First the dubbing is okay and the movie starts with 2 rival masters seeing who will win. This is also some of Jackie Chan's early work, the choreography is good and Jackie Chan looks kind of young in this movie. He starts out s an orphan being bullied by his classmates until he befriends and old guy. The old guy gets into a fight with some of the students and Jackie tries to help him. Then a white preacher comes by to break up the fight and then after that old guy teaches Jackie how to fight. Old guy teaches him by trying to get Jackie to take a bowl from him. Old guy also teaches Jackie some steps and moves he put on the ground too. After that old guy and white preacher see each other and old guy tries to avoid him. Then old guy fights an Eagle student in the Snake training grounds and both him and white preacher try to kill him but old guy escapes. Old guy then get's healed by Jackie and he teaches him Kung Fu. A bit later Jackie's school gets into a fight another school then Jackie's school master goes to the rival school's ace. The ace tries to kill the master but Jackie stops him and then they fight and Jackie wins. Then when Jackie gets back home he meets one of old guys so called friends. Then after that there's a scene where a cat fights a cobra and kills it. Old guy and Jackie meet in some field where they encounter the so called friend and white preacher which is some fighter from Russia. After they're defeated Jackie's school master tires to stop them thinking he poisoned them. He didn't and I think Jackie and old guy walk off somewhere, I'm not sure since the ending was like all Kung Fu movies. It's still pretty good early work for Jackie Chan and if your a fan if his movies this is required at least that's what Crackle said.
½ February 16, 2015
I am a huge Jackie Chan fan. Want to see him in the beginning of his career. He is so young in this movie and so acrobatic and talented! There is something so pure about this movie, before marshal arts films were so full of special effects and people flying on tree tops. This is filmed as simply as a village play in a night market in Asia, it is acted out in that tradition, with drama and slapstick humor. It is truly charming. All the actors are fantastic and it is wonderfully hammy like the old Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies too. To see Jackie Chan in a Chinese martial arts film straight from 1970's Hong Kong, when it was still a British proctectorate, well, this film is simply a gem. Enjoy!
November 3, 2012
Breezy, campy, and soft "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" was Jackie Chan's first taste of domestic popularity. While it lacks the sophistication and panache of Chan's future releases and ultimately pales in comparison to its fraternal twin ("Drunken Master") "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" is still even by contemporary standards a fun way to knockout 90 minutes of your day.
½ April 4, 2012
The film has a little bit of a story, but only what is needed to fill in the spaces between the fight scenes.
November 18, 2007
I remember trying to watch some of Jackie's earlier films from the late-70s/early-80s before stuff like Police Story and Wheels On Meals. I couldn't do it.

Then, I saw this at the Portland Grindhouse Film Festival. Color me stunned, happy, and in love with this movie! GO KITTY CAT, GO!! :D
August 15, 2007
One of the greatest kung fu movies of all time. Directed by Yuen Woo-Ping, who later did the choreography for "The Matrix." The difference is these actors are professional martial artists, so they're insanely good. Classic movie.
April 3, 2007
Not a lot of people know, or can appreciate how great this movie is. However, I can, and I always will. The dvd version has a different soundtrack than the original that I saw, and own on vhs. The original soundtrack is awesome!
December 13, 2006
Another great Chan film... Although the plot was kind of thin, the fight scenes were entertaining as hell... I really enjoy these older Chan films because he seems to focus more on the form of the art instead of pure choreography.
½ November 18, 2006
This is Jackie Chan before Hollywood, much better the fighting is incredible and is a great story of the development of a fighting style sometimes called SnakeTalon, also Snake-Crane
April 28, 2004
I saw this film on tv. Here is a thriller and a action packed movie. I think this is one of the best of Jackie Chans films.
October 24, 2015
Review:
This is another classic movie from Jackie Chan, when he was in his prime. It does take a bit of time to get going, but once it does, it's full of action and many different styles of Kung Fu. Jackie Chan plays Chien Fu, who helps out in a Kung Fu school and constantly gets picked on by the manager who uses him as a human punching bag for his students. Chien then comes across a homeless old man, played by Siu Tin Yuen and he decides to take him in and look after him. While there friendship blossoms, a group of Eagle technique fighters are out to destroy all of the Snake fighters so Grandmaster Pai Cheng-Tien (Siu Tin Yuen) has to go in hiding to save his life. Whilst living with Chien, he starts to teach him the Snake style, which Chien mixes up with his own cat style and he soon gets fed up with his manager picking on him by striking back on the people that use him as a human punching bag. He soon gets banished from the school and he perfects his own Kung Fu style but his training with Grandmaster Pai is cut short because the Eagle style fighters have tracked him down. Whilst fighting against the Eagle clan, Grandmaster Pai's life is saved by Chien who takes on the leaders of the Eagle clan. This is when I first saw Sam Seed (Siu Tin Yuen) in a movie and I was amazed how an old man could take on all of the young masters of Kung Fu. This was also the second time that I saw Jackie Chan on top form, after Drunken Master of course, and the different styles of Kung Fu styles became popular in this genre. The mixture of comedy and action was spot on in this film and the different characters, like the manager of the Kung Fu school with the weird plaster on his head, made the film an all time classic. I personally enjoyed this film, after so many years since I last watched it and it brought back some fond memories of when I was young in front of the piano style video player. Its such a shame that they don't make movies like this anymore! Brilliant.

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Woo Ping-Yuen who brought you classics like Drunken Master, Magnificent Butcher, the Miracle Fighters, Drunken Tai Chi, Iron Monkey, Tai-Chi Master and True Legend. He also done the stunts for Man of Tai Chi with Keanu Reeves, Kill Bill 2, the brilliant Kung Fu Hustle and the Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li so he has definitely earned respect in this field. Anyway, this is a must have in your Kung Fu collection and it's timeless fun for you action buffs.

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/comedy/martial arts movies starring Jackie Chan and the great Siu Tin Yuen (Sam Seed). 8/10
July 27, 2015
Jackie chan and fight scenes but the story is shit
June 9, 2015
August 29, 2009
Jackie Chan's first big hit is a classic all-fighting kung-fu flick, spiked with humor which makes it all the greater. Impossibly young Jackie (23 or 24 years old) is a poor dolt, serving as a janitor for the Hungwei School where he is terribly mistreated. When he happens to meet Simon Yuen, a puckish old kung fu master disguised as a beggar, he is transformed into an expert in the Snake Fist style. Comic training scenes included! Unfortunately, the Snake Fist clan is being hunted down and killed by the Eagle's Claw clan and Jackie and his old master are targeted. In order to save the day, Jackie must invent a new style of fighting. And he does. Jackie's abilities here are incredible and Simon Yuen (the father of director Wing-Poo Yuen who later worked on the Matrix) is similarly amazingly acrobatic. The sequel, Drunken Master, is also a classic of early hand-to-hand fighting Jackie, before he graduated to larger-scale death-defying stunts in the 1980s. Both have coherent plots so seek them out rather than some of the poorly edited schlock that also circulates under Jackie's name.
October 29, 2006
WOW.....WOW....WOW.....WHAT AN UNDERRATED MOVIE 2 WATCH.....MAN I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH AN UNDERRATED MOVIE 2 WATCH.....its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie....I think that Jackie chan, roy horan, hwan jang lee, yuen siu tien (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this action/adventure/art house/international/comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......man this is such an underrated movie 2 watch.....it is such a really funny comedy movie 2 watch......

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow took HK $2,708,748 at the Hong Kong box office.

Imitators

In 1979, a film entitled Snake in the Eagle's Shadow II aka Snaky Knight Fight Against Mantis was released. It was directed by Chang Hsin-yi and starred Wang Tao. However, the film was not a true sequel, rather it was an attempt by the studio to capitalise on the success of the original film. Footage including a montage and a fight scene from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow were spliced into the film. Chan's image was also used on the cover of some versions.

Production

Prior to Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Chan had worked for director Lo Wei who wanted to make him into the new "Bruce Lee" in films like New Fist of Fury. However, those films yielded relatively poor box office returns. When producer Ng See-yuen decided to make a comedy with Chan as the star, the concept did not initially meet with approval from the film distributors. However, Ng and Chan persevered and together with Drunken Master, this film launched Jackie Chan into national stardom.

The combination of comedy, martial arts, stunts and acrobatics had been done before, in Lau Kar-leung's 1975 film, Spiritual Boxer. However, the release of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow heralded a new direction for Hong Kong action movies.

Ng See-Yuen and Yuen Woo-ping checked over many actors for the part of the old, eccentric, wandering Kung Fu master, before Ng suggested casting Yuen's own father, Yuen Siu Tien. Yuen would continue to reprise the role of Beggar So several more times before his death in 1979.

According to his book I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action, Chan lost a tooth after Hwang Jang Lee kicked him in the face during a fight scene. His arm was also accidentally slashed by a sword that was supposed to be blunt, but while he was screaming in pain, the camera kept rolling

I think that this is such an overlooked movie 2 watch, but it is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch, the fight scenes throughout this movie were really good, throughout this movie.....man this is such a good classics movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....its got really good fight scenes throughout this movie.....
½ February 16, 2015