Snatch Reviews

½ May 25, 2013
An intriguing, interwoven plot. Much funnier than I expected. Pitt's accent was weak, but not to the point of distraction. Sometimes hard to discern the dialog due to heavy accents from the rest the cast. Still, thoroughly enjoyable caper.
½ July 19, 2007
Guy Ritchie delightfully resurrects and updates Damon Runyon's popular gangland mugs, transports 'em to Britain and has 'em go for a load of loot symbolized by a large hunk of shiny charcoal floating about. Good fun.
LWOODS04
½ April 29, 2009
"I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It's a really funny, smart, entertaining film. The acting is great. I loved all the different characters. It was just a really enjoyable fun watch. Guy Ritchie really knows how to put a smart script together with a great cast. I loved Brad Pitt in this. It's probably my favorite performance by him. If you haven't had the chance to see this I recommend you do. It's very entertaining."
CloudStrife84
½ April 8, 2007
Guy Ritchie is to gangster movies what Rolls-Royce is to cars. Never does he fail to impress, and always does he offer quality writing. A king of the genre no doubt, and someone who has done a lot of good for the British film industry. Now, before I lose myself in all the praise for said director, I'd like to focus the rest of the review on the movie in question; suitably named Snatch. First of all, you know you're in for something good when names like Brad Pitt and Jason Statham show up in the credits. Their presence adds lustre to some already well-polished dialogue. Great plot as well, that makes the most of the film's running time. Complete with heists, fights, foul language and cool characters. Yes, it's all in there and waiting to be enjoyed. All you need to do is slide in the DVD disc and get your bowl of popcorn...or whatever snack it is you prefer with your British entertainment.
jamers2011
December 31, 2010
The first 30 minutes or so were very hard to follow, there are a lot of characters, but once everyone is introduced and the story unfolds, the film is nothing but pure entertainment. Great cast, good characters, solid writing, and lots of action...Snatch. is a must see! Also, Brad Pitt is very good in this.
TomBowler
August 1, 2009
Funny and violent with a great performance from Brad Pitt. Full review later.
August 19, 2011
'Snatch' is entertaining, enjoyable and as one of my friends described it, "a really watchable film". The film follows a collection of people where by through may different stories end up crossing paths over a diamond in London. Directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Jason Statham and Stephen Graham as the film's main two characters Turkish and Tommy, the film also includes Brad Pitt as Mickey O'Neil an Irish traveller. Statham's and Graham's acting is funny and believable as the two, not thugs, but blokes who have made a few mistakes and got into the wrong business. Pitt's acting is heartfelt at times such as a particular scene where a character close to him dies and his accent. With it's believable and funny characters, entertaining script and gripping storyline Snatch is overall a great enjoyable watch.
**** 4 Star
½ June 22, 2011
Snatch, bring a great screenplay, that looks like to Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, but presents a different stylish a exciting plot and good time. With strange characters and dark humor, Guy Ritchie, show us a terrific film, that bring an good direction. Fresh.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 9, 2007
I absolutely love this movie.
Guy Ritchie is by far my favourite director when wanting to watch comedy, ganster thrillers.
This doesn't disappoint, its an hilarious, london ganster movie that is very enjoyable and worth the watch.
Brad Pitt is hilarious as the irish Pikey that is a very good fighter.
Really worth the watch.
garyX
½ June 1, 2007
Cockney boxing promoter Jason Statham finds himself indebted to a ruthless gangster and has to provide bare knuckle boxer Brad Pitt in recompense. Ritchie's difficult second movie lives up to the potential of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels but it's hardly a massive departure. It provides the same mix of laughs and cocknernee gangster hi-jinx, but it doesn't rely so heavily on cheap laughs and Pitt is fantastic as the pikey who's as indestructible as he is incomprehensible. Statham also does what he does best and pretty much the entire supporting cast are in their element; hell, even Vinnie Jones is good in this! It may not have the glitz and glamour of the Ocean's franchise and subtle it most certainly is not, but it's also one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen as the laughs flow constantly and it's got a great one-two punch of an ending. A worthy addition to the British tradition of the comedy caper movie.
½ May 29, 2011
A mosaic of unfortunate events happening to unfortunate people carefully weaved into this thrilling, entertaining ball of witty humor.

Ritchie thrives in his style of story telling as we're introduced to a cast of hilariously incompetent characters all simultaneously getting themselves into ridiculous situations. It'a a whole lot of fun, even if there isn't much substance the style easily makes up for it.
½ April 20, 2011
Whatever the film lacks in heart, it makes up for in wild entertainment. It starts with sharp editing and moves to witty humor, stylish direction, and a poignant script that sparkles with meticulous plotting and story. Everything fits, and everything is awesome. The performances are decent enough to keep everyone intrigued, but Brad Pitt, Benicio Del Toro, and Alan Ford delight as their wonderfully over-the-top characters. This is the way to make an entertaining, top-notch caper. Take notes from Guy Ritchie.
½ May 3, 2011
I thought it was hilarious but I feel like they didn't try hard enough to explore it's underlying themes. Because of that, I think it falls short of something great.
April 10, 2011
'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels 2' could be its real name, Ritchie is back with the second in his British gangster trilogy ('Revolver' being number three) and this time due to the success of his first venture he clearly has more money to play with so he brings in some big name stars.

The film is almost the same kind of thing to 'Lock Stock' being another gritty, dirty, slimy cockney collaboration of tales all revolving around yet more oddball wheeler dealers, thugs and gangsters as they all try to get ahold of money, jewels and each other in (again) a Tarantino type way with more gallows humour.
The cast again is fantastic and includes yet more British actors that were somehow left out of the first film, over Ritchie's films he's used every known British character actor or soap star we have haha The inclusion of some big Hollywood stars actually, for me, brings the film down slightly, they don't seem realistic and can't fit into this exclusively British world thus the film loses its sense of realism, a big Hollywood star doesn't always equal a good direction to go.
To be frank the film does really have a R. Rodriguez feel to it eg. 'Mariachi' was made, it did well so RR remade it bigger and better. 'Snatch' does seem to fall into that catergory to a degree, it does feel almost like a reboot or upgrade of 'Lock Stock' as some of the cast that do show up in both films are playing the same kind of role, mainly Vinnie Jones who can't really play anything else. The film has the exact same grotty feel to it with your typical South/East London looking pubs, alleys and streets, more cockney dialect to confuse any non Londoner, more hints at vicious violence but without actually showing that much, some glorious fights and more swearing than you can possibly imagine haha

The only thing I don't like about the film is all the silly names everyone has, I just get the feeling Ritchie was trying too hard to make it in the same vain as American New York gangsters, your typical hood with his catchy nickname like 'Billy the rat' or 'pool table Pauly' for example lol! it just seemed abit daft.
Basically this is another triumph for Ritchie despite making the same film all over haha Alan Fords portrayal of 'Brick Top' is also probably the most chilling baddie I've seen in years.

Oi!!! geeeza!!
Movie Monster
April 5, 2011
You gotta admit. Guy Ritchie has a very unique filming style. That is best shown in his crime comendy, "Snatch".

"Snatch" is the story of a couple of gangsters who come up with a plan to steal a valuable diamond that belonged to the now-deceased thug known as Freddy Four-Fingers. Each dude has their own way of getting to the diamond.

The best part of "Snatch" is the twisted sense of humor. Its dark and edgy and brilliantly scripted. I especially enjoy the quotes written for Brad Pitt's character, Mickey. Mickey is the best part of the film. Its what sold the film to me.

"Snatch" is a very entertaining crime film that has a very stylish direction style by Guy Ritchie, features a great ensemble cast, well constructed with a great pace (Suprisingly short!) but I didn't think this was all that. It has a 72% on the Tomatometer and thats acceptable. I don't know if this deserves a place on IMDB's Top 250 list but I'm cool with that.

Looking for cool gangsters, catch score, funny one-liners, great actors, and dogs who eat chew toys? "Snatch" is for you!

"Do you have anything to declare, sir?"

"Yes. Don't go to England."
March 26, 2011
A great Brit-Gangster film from Guy Ritchie - featuring lots of cool "British" characters with cool "British" names - and a bevy of plot twists, shoot-outs, British jokes... and Brad Pitt. Can't forget that one.
½ June 13, 2006
Guy Ritchie made a strong case for being the British Quentin Tarantino. This penny dreadful story is just as hilarious and brutal, with wonderfully wicked characters, plenty of witty one-liners and smart editing. The plot is impossible to predict and offers quite an awesome twist at the end, the songs of the excellent soundtrack fit every scene perfectly. A crazy Must see. Too bad Ritchie never returned to his form.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 14, 2010
Snatch is one of the greatest, most original gangster flicks ever made. Guy Ritchie's characters are eccentric and colorful. The highlight of the film is Brad Pitt as the face talking Gypsy, Mickey O'Neil.The film contains a great dose of comedy combined with effective traditional gangster film elements. Snatch is a totally new breed of gangster film. Guy Ritchie has created a memorable film that will most likely stick with you long after you've initially seen it. The characters in this film are eccentric and hilarious. Like I said, the key performance here is Brad Pitt, but Vinnie Jones as Bullet Tooth Tony, Denius Farina as Avi and Alan Ford as Brick Top all deliver something phenomenal on screen. Even Jason Statham delivers something good here (this is his only really good performance, as he became more hit and miss with the films he's made in the coming years). Snatch has been dismissed by many, but there is a great film to be found here. With an awesome cast at hand, Guy Ritchie has delivered something unique for the gangster genre.
Ritchie's script is infectious with quotable dialogue, and will definitely make you laugh. Snatch is a terrific film with some of the most eccentric characters ever to appear in a gangster film. Thats one of the reasons why this film is so much fun, it takes itself serious enough, but theres always room for slapstick moments that makes you laugh. I guess that what makes Guy Ritchie's gangster films so special, they're humourous while being serious at the same time. This is definitely the most memorable gangster films since Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Snatch is a blazing work of originality and is a refreshing take on a classic genre.
March 3, 2008
"I fail to recognize the correlation between losing ten grand, hospitalizing Gorgeous, and a good deal."

I'm quite fond of these British crime movies, and Snatch is no exception. It's got a great cast and an interesting story just like Layer Cake and RocknRolla, but what separates it from those movies is how unrelentingly funny it is. I'd say it's probably the most hilarious movies that I've seen in a while. Nearly every line of dialogue gets laughs.

The story involves a VERY large diamond, unlicensed boxing, replica guns, gypsies, caravans, and a pig farm. Trust me, it's great.

Out of all the characters in the movie (and there are a lot), I'd have to say Brad Pitt as Mickey and Alan Ford as Brick Top are the two that absolutely stole the show. This is my personal favorite Pitt performance and character, its just brilliant. Snatch would be worth watching for those two alone, even if the rest of it wasn't so good. But the rest of it is so good, so take this as a recommendation and check this movie out.
cosmo313
June 9, 2006
This movie is all over the place, but it's really funny, and just a lot of fun period.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense upon first viewing, but even then, there's a lot of good stuff on display. It's funny, there are some good gags, the characters are just nuts, and Richie's style and technique are just cool.

Brad Pitt is a riot here, and really steals the show as a mumbling, gibeerish-talking boxer, who, if I remeber correctly, is also a gypsy or something. The rest of the cast is good too, such as Del Toro, Jones, and Statham. Honestly, I just like the stylish nature of this flick and the names of some of these characters. I mean, what's not cool about characters named Frank Four Fingers, Brick Top, and Bullet Tooth Tony?

This isn't for all tastes though. But, if youy can handle a frenzied style, a screwy plot, and lots of profanity and violence, then you'll probably not be that disappointed.