Weekly Ketchup: Tom Hardy Lands Lead in Splinter Cell Adaptation

Summary

This week's Ketchup is a true potpourri of movie development news, including videogame adaptations (like Asteroids and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell), animated movies (Turkeys and Hotel Transylvania 2), reboots of classic characters (Popeye and Tarzan), and biopics (Johnny Carson and Pablo Escobar). Back to Article

Comments

Sean Watson

Sean Watson

anyone else find it weird that Chris Pine is playing Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan and now Tom Hardy is playing Tom Clancy's splinter cell, don't like that casting, here's why: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/this_means_war/

Nov 16 - 04:51 PM

James Adams

Adam Pass

i like the casting

Nov 20 - 04:30 PM

Splitter

Matthew Burge

Woohoo! Tom Hardy is finally leading a franchise!

Nov 16 - 05:13 PM

Lukas Riker

Lukas Riker

Chris Tucker is finally coming back to movies....this is only good if they make The Fifth Element 2...UnBAllllievABLE....that would be super green lol

Nov 16 - 05:38 PM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

Does this mean Brad Bird won't have a chance at directing Star Wars VII?

Nov 16 - 05:47 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

He already came out and said he will not be directing it.

Nov 18 - 02:01 PM

Darren Anderson

Darren Anderson

Matthew Vaughn will get the nod for Star Wars.

Nov 20 - 12:52 AM

Boo

Nov 20 - 01:34 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Interesting glimpse into the sad state of the Hollywood screenwriting pool. "The International" was awful, but I can't seem to make out whether Eric Singer or John McLaughlin is writing the "Splitter Cell" film. "Fair Game" was shallow and sanctimonious, and "Birthday Girl" was boring, so I have no greater hope for "Asteroids". I've never been into "Lost" so we'll see about "1952". Chances are if you're biggest credits are doctoring "Scary Movie" and "Hangover" sequels, your new film will suck.

Also, anything by Dave Dobkin I can miss. It's a shame because Jack and RDJ could have excellent chemistry. I don't know about the Carson thing. It'll all hinge on the actor, and I can't think of one. It's a shame when someone tries to step into the shoes of a talent of such rare, subtle quality. (see "Man on the Moon")

I like Tarzan, traditionally, the book, the Weissmuellers, "Greystoke". But I always hope they avoid trying to rewrite the colonial exploitation of Africa. I guess not. This new film probably won't mention Victoria's other hobby of ordering the slaughter of Zulus. I just hope Sam gets to keep the diamonds in this one. (But they'll probably kill him off near the end, very emotionally.)

Nov 16 - 05:59 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Was unclear about the Splinter Cell writers... McLaughlin wrote an earlier draft; not known if Singer is completely working from scratch or not.

Nov 16 - 08:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thanks. I was leaning toward that interpretation. Obviously, I hope they retain at least McLaulin's plot, which was a disaster in "International".

Nov 16 - 11:55 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

You ain't kidding about the screenwriters, Bro. I haven't seen anything with a wicked, kick-ass script in quite some time. It's always the director or star or effects carrying the film.

Nov 17 - 05:19 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Another interesting glimpse into the Hollywood screenwriting pool/world is how one of the writers of the Green Lantern script was chosen to write a script for a Wonder Woman movie. Why? That's all I ask. Why?

Nov 17 - 10:10 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Maybe because before that he wrote the screenplay for Contact, Peter Pan and Order of the Phoenix, all critically acclaimed films?

Nov 17 - 11:12 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Didn't Green Lantern has like five drafts from different writers?

Nov 17 - 03:05 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Nov 16 - 08:07 PM

Nov 16 - 11:55 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

There is NOTHING interesting this week, yet again.

Nov 16 - 11:18 PM

Nov 16 - 11:55 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

Greg, totally get what you mean about LOST. I want to be a writer and just finished an honours degree in creative writing and I have to thank LOST, because it is the reason I want to be a writer - not the only reason but def the piece of work that made me realise how much I want to work in that field. To put it succinctly: I freakin' love that show.

Nov 17 - 04:12 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

If anyone could make Tarzan boring it's David Borefuck Yates. Hwaaack Ptoooey!

Nov 17 - 05:15 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Nov 17 - 05:19 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Can't wait for 1952 even if it means Brad Bird is likely out of the running for the new Star Wars movie.

Nothing much to comment about. I did like Horton Hear a Who (easily the best Dr. Seuss movie adaptation so far though of course that isn't saying much) so Turkeys might be interesting, while I'm curious to see how Yates handles his first post-Harry Potter film. Other than that....meh.

Nov 17 - 09:24 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Nov 17 - 10:10 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Nov 17 - 11:12 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Didn't Green Lantern has like five drafts from different writers?

Nov 17 - 03:05 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Nov 17 - 11:12 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Hard times for Sam Worthington......

Nov 17 - 03:03 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

hahahaha

Nov 18 - 07:22 PM

Dave J

Dave J

You've already forgot about the "Avatar" sequels!

Nov 19 - 05:41 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Didn't Green Lantern has like five drafts from different writers?

Nov 17 - 03:05 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

CLOONEY always seems interested in Science-Fiction and his Sci-Fi films are soo intellectually pedantic and boring.

an homage to CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND . . . that's such an unwieldy movie. Its like paying an homage to KRULL.

Nov 17 - 03:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What was the pendantry in "Solaris", I wonder?

Nov 19 - 11:33 AM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

The clock is ticking, Hideo!

Nov 17 - 05:24 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel