20% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Soldier Blue Reviews

Alexander W

March 5, 2010
Soldier Blue is a very good movie, showing the drama and realities of war following two lead characters through a story with a very bloody ending.
jjb3332003
October 15, 2013
Nondescript except for the infamous finale with the despicable US Army slaughtering a Cheyenne village. Unfortunately they looked like a bunch of Mexicans. Of course, this type of stuff doesn't happen anymore. No... Donald Pleasence deserved an Oscar nod for best supporting actor (of course he wasn't nominated).
nativesunljt
May 22, 2007
Politically influenced film referencing the Vietnam war but can't get past the gross inanity of the Native American depictions.
KevinRobbins
February 25, 2014
You stupid, beardless, tenderfoot...

A group of American cavalry soldiers are attacked by the Cheyenne Indians and brutally massacred. Only two individuals survive, a private who swears by his militia and a young woman who lived some years with the Indians and sees the errors of the white man's ways. Can the two survive on the plains and make it back to civilization or will they also fall victims to the attackers?

"They're cutting off hands, they're cutting off feet, they're cutting off..."

Ralph Nelson, director of Lilies of the Field, Father Goose, Charly, Requiem for a Heavyweight, The Wrath of God, Once a Thief, and Fate is the Hunter, delivers Soldier Blue. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and unfolds well. The action scenes are very solid and the acting was better than I anticipated. The cast includes Candice Bergen, Peter Strauss, Donald Pleasence, John Anderson, Dana Elcar, and James Hampton.

"You're robbing the dead."

I grabbed this off Netflix because it looked fascinating and the plot had potential. I will say I enjoyed watching the picture unfold and it was definitely entertaining. This wasn't the best western I have ever seen, but the premise had good direction and drama. Overall, this is definitely a worthwhile addition to the western genre.

"If I'm going to look different you might as well smell different."

Grade: B-
October 2, 2013
One of the first westerns to exhibit modern film violence and graphic warfare.
David H.
July 5, 2010
This is defently one of my Favourite Movies so skilled directed & shot and the Music is bombastic. The Film combine many extremly Violent Battles, a bounding Plot, intelligent Socio Critic and a Love Story Candice Bergen is breathtaking and shows the Horror of the Crimes against the Indians they just People from a Time which we long forgot a Time of Wilderness and the Native Culture of the People and one Day a Mighty Army from a another Part of the World comes to occupy their Lands and disban they in Fruitless Lands so they die in Pride and fight the White Invaders the Battle and the Extermination of the Village was so disturbing when the Soldiers celebrate their Victory they shown their Real Face they are the Wild Barbarians
sherry9lee
May 17, 2010
This is one of my all-time-favorite western!
Skilled directing, good actors and a really good music-score brings quality to an already appealing story (partly fiction, and partly true story) with interesting characters. I got a little bit shocked when learning that not many people have seen it, cause it certainly is worth a watch at least.

In the beginning of the movie, we witness a massacre of U.S. cavalry troops commited by cheyenne's. Only two survivors, a naive soldier, Gantz (Peter Strauss) who do his duty before anything else, and a white woman, Cresta (Candice Bergen) who was married to the cheyenne chief but was about to return to civilisation. Being in the middle of nowhere they try to walk to some village while surviving in the wild. Although being a trained soldier, Gantz has no experience whatsoever in how to survive, though he makes to sincere attempts at keeping up appearances and "protecting" Cresta. Cresta on the other hand has lived most of her life in a cheyenne village and will have to show Gantz what to do all the time. The constrast between them is quite funny!

You will also spot Doland Pleasence as a not so sympathic weapon negotiator.

It's not just another movie about the cruelty against the native americans during the 1900 century. This movie is infamous for it's "extremly" violent scenes (in fact that's just the last 25-30 minutes of the movie. But they will appear a bit lame by today's measures.), portraying a massacre of a whole cheyenne village, where defenseless women were raped and killed with their children.

Some critics have called this unconvincing and that of course makes me wonder what they might have had in mind. The main thing that makes this western different from other good westerns is that the "hero" is a woman. But I guess that could be little bit too much for some western-fans used to John Wayne flicks where the man is the strong sex and the woman is the weak irrational one. I see it as a fresh air cause I know a few women very silimar to Cresta's character (and they aren't lesbian ;) and can tell for sure that women like Cresta really exist. But then again, if you have a problem with strong, clever women in movies, don't watch this.
By this I don't mean to say that if you dislike Soldier Blue you nessecairly have a problem with women, I'm just speaking about those critics that obvisouly had.

Propaganda movie- yes. But it's not the least naive.

I think this movie is very underrated. Take a look and decide for yourselves!