Five Facts About Solomon Kane

RT goes straight to the star for the lowdown on his puritan hero.

Solomon Kane
66%
Template Image
Fresh

Bleak, brutal and bloody as hell, angsty throwback hack-'em-up Solomon Kane kicks a raging new life into the swords-and-scorcery genre -- largely thanks to a tremendous performance from James Purefoy. Created by Conan The Barbarian author Robert E Howard, Kane is a battle-hardened Puritan anti-hero who wanders the 17th-century world looking for evil to vanquish. He used to have God on his side. Now he's got a big sword and a bad attitude. The Brit star of Rome tears into the role (not to mention to the men and monsters he faces), announcing himself as a fearsomely charismatic leading man and making you wonder just what might have happened if they'd cast him as Bond... He tells RT what to expect from the film.

Solomon Kane

Fact #1: It Takes Four Chops to Decapitate a Man... Or a Pig

James Purefoy:
When we were planning the fights, we decided to find out how a sword actually works. We got a pig's corpse from the butchers. We hung it up by a chain from the ceiling and then we set about it with various weapons. Yes, we were attacking a dead pig. Then we dressed it up in leather clothes like one of my enemies and we set about it again. How many hacks you do need to take someone's head off? We worked that out with the pig. We did it in about three or four, so we figured Solomon could probably do it in three. If you had a really sharp blade...

Comments

Ljiljana S.

Ljiljana Stijak

Great article, funny and interesting. I cannot wait to see this movie, it looks so good. :)

Feb 16 - 09:28 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

I truly have been looking forward to this for almost 2 years now. Primarily because a very good friend of mine is playing the role of Telford in this film. Here's hoping it works Phil!

Feb 16 - 09:50 AM

Taylor Betz

Taylor Betz

Fact 6: Solomon Kane has nothing to do with Solomon Grundy.

Feb 16 - 10:18 AM

Dave J

Dave J

If this film is as it describes as being 'bloody and gory' then this might be worth checking out!!

Feb 16 - 11:46 AM

dudemanyo

Ben Tracy

Looks good. I'm in. Hopefully it makes a TON of money!

Feb 16 - 12:24 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

sorry ppl but this film is gonna suk ****. i just checked out the directors previous fliks and they all are ****. and i mean the films coming out on november and already its getting a 60%...thats not good. im sure itll decrease to about 29%

Feb 16 - 12:30 PM

David Busby

David Busby

Your wrong one the the greatest movies of all time. In fact I like it so much I order it from the uk, and you don't like it you wouldn't know a good movie if it came up and bit you on the ass.

Aug 8 - 11:12 PM

Red B.

Red Baron

QUOTE:
"Yes, we were attacking a dead pig. Then we dressed it up in leather clothes like one of my enemies and we set about it again"

Well, my idea for filming doesn't include mutilating and profaning of a dead animal's body. :-/ Ok, I love steaks but that's all. And what's with the comparision between Solomon and Bond?!
As for the plot - really nothing special. Besides the film is all about sword-figthing witch is good, but to watch it more than an hour might get a liiiiittle boring...

Feb 16 - 01:31 PM

Jason A.

Jason Alexander

To to answer your questions:

They're talking about Bond because James Purefoy (aka the lead actor here) was a strong possibility to play James Bond in Casino Royale.

As for mutilating a pig: Pigs anatomy is very similar to humans, so practicing on a pig will give you very realistic measurements of what kind of damage would be done to a human, without actually attempting to decapitate an extra.

Feb 18 - 01:06 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Not sure about this one.

Feb 16 - 02:38 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

Is it just me, or is today crap on Robert E. Howard day at RT?

Feb 16 - 02:45 PM

The Reaper

Iron Will

Robert E. Howard was the great sword and sorcery writer ever. Solomon Kane is gonna kick some.

Feb 16 - 05:47 PM

pat s.

pat stone

We have been waiting for this film as well, as my son plays young Solomon.

James Purefoy was very nice to him.

Feb 17 - 06:38 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I didn't know this was already finished, much less close to release. I haven't seen much on it, but it looks interesting.

Feb 17 - 10:56 AM

Eric F.

Eric Fishbein

Me Solomon Grundy am offended wasn't offered lead role in movie.

Feb 17 - 03:40 PM

ThunderMammoth

Garth Grannystroker

shut your hole, De A Twist. at least the people who made this are passionate about it, and are indeed inspired by REH's works.

go back to gathering tampered data and allowing all your little calculations of percentages of tomatoes to dictate what you support and don't support.

Feb 17 - 03:44 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

thundermammoth,

chill,k. like i was not criticising the film in any way, i was just sayin the reality of it. Cuz if a film is starting off with a 60% by critics then we all know that its gonna go down even more. look at shutter islands 100% that went down to 71%. so ye.

Feb 18 - 03:20 AM

Gemini F.

Gemini Foreigner

I am also sceptical about this movie.Looking at the directors previous movies,his credentials don't look too convincing.But who would have believed that Peter Jackson could make such quality movies as the Lord of the rings trilogy, after watching Braindead.The trailer for Solomon Kane looks okay,and I think the role probably suits James Purefoy.My biggest worry before I've seen it, is the possibility of too much cgi-monsters. I want this movie to have an organic feel to it, not look like plastic.

After reading a couple of stories about Solomon Kane in comic-books I became a fan, and I hope the movie can live up to my expectations.

Apr 8 - 11:27 AM

Gemini F.

Gemini Foreigner

Apr 8 - 11:28 AM

Jason A.

Jason Alexander

To to answer your questions:

Feb 18 - 01:06 PM

jordon b.

jordon brooks

thanks for the articles.. came to know many facts dat i was unaware..

The lemonade diet Cleanserotten tomatoes is a gud place to visit for the movies reviews!!

Feb 18 - 03:03 PM