Solomon Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solomon Kane Reviews

½ November 2, 2011
Despite the inconsistent tones, it's an ambitious and enjoyable trek about a character who seeks personal redemption.
March 9, 2016
bloodshed everywhere and was quite predictable
½ July 11, 2010
30.06.2010,
20.02.2016
½ February 2, 2016
This film quickly became absolutely tedious, with poor action and unsatisfying action sequences, buttressed by horrible pacing and embarrassing dialog. The character of Solomon Kane had wonderful potential, again, with his conflicted and complex back-story, but he became static, with only formulaic motivation propelling his dull and boring quest.
November 1, 2015
wake people this movie is amazing great job ­???­???­???
½ October 16, 2015
Interesting, some good acting, good effects and visuals.
½ August 29, 2015
That was cool. I enjoyed it. It was the sorry of redemption. A backwards Dante's Inferno sort of. The ending felt rushed, the movie really needed to be longer than 90 minutes. Good acting, solid score, great plot. Very enjoyable.
½ July 15, 2015
North Africa, 1600. The English mercenary Solomon Kane (James Purefoy) leads his ship's crew into battle against the Ottoman occupiers of a fortress town. After defeating the defenders, Kane and his men raid the fortress, where most of the crew is killed by demons. Kane fights his way to the throne room, but, before he can loot the riches, he is confronted by a demon that tells him his soul is forfeit to Satan. Solomon rejects his fate and jumps out a window. Following this encounter, Solomon returns to England and finds sanctuary in a monastery. After a prophetic dream, the abbot apologetically expels Kane, and Kane travels by foot to his ancestral estate, from which he had been expelled in his youth after defying his father Josiah Kane (Max von Sydow). Along the way, he is ambushed by robbers who mock his vow of pacifism and leave him for dead. He is found and treated by the Crowthorns, a family of Puritans traveling west to the New World. When the Crowthorns are slaughtered by corrupted followers of the evil sorcerer Malachi (Jason Flemyng), Kane renounces his vows and swears to avenge their deaths and rescue Meredith Crowthorn (Rachel Hurd-Wood), who has been marked by a witch and kidnapped by the Masked Rider, Malachi's lieutenant...

Empire rated the film at 3/5 stars, complimenting writer-director Michael J. Bassett as handling the film "with the same level of commitment Peter Jackson brought to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, the darker moments of which are an obvious influence on Bassett's film". The review says of the film as a whole: "For less than the effects budget of this year's other sword 'n' sorcery adventures, Percy Jackson and Clash Of The Titans, Bassett has delivered a dark-as-balls Highlander for the 21st century, played with such conviction it's hard not to be swept along". I honestly was actually expecting a so so sword 'n' sorcery adventure with so so CGI despite the fact that the plotline was intriguing and the character comes from the vivid mind of Robert E. Howard. But, I was truly positively surprised. It┤s a menacing, gritty, violent, atmospheric film and nicely shot with James Purefoy in great form as Solomon Kane in this solid 17th century setting. I love the idea of the former evil mercenary that finds God and a way to use his skills for good causes. It makes me think of Roland Joffe┤s fantastic "The Mission" and Robert De Niro┤s character Rodrigo Mendoza. I like the fact that Solomon Kane isn't "invincible" and ends up crucified for example. And Rachel Hurd-Wood is a lovely actress being the damsel in stress so to speak. There┤s flaws, but minor ones in "Solomon Kane". And it has potential for further Solomon Kane adventures for sure.
June 25, 2015
Impressively grim and enjoyably joyless, the story just falls very short of it's bleak tone, acting and design work.
March 10, 2010
Ok plot, ok acting, nothing very new - buy a few beers and enjoy!
½ April 30, 2015
A well done sword and sorcery flick - not quite worth the high score I give it but it seems others aren't as kind so I have to be. :P Enjoy - worth a sequel I think
½ August 21, 2013
better then I expected pretty well punisher meets van Helsing but it actually worked
April 10, 2015
Dark and beautiful, the best sword and sorcery flick in a very long time.
April 5, 2015
Nothing special...:(
March 28, 2015
Little predictable but okay.
½ March 28, 2015
A modern 21st centuary swashbuckler: Our hero hacks and slashes his way through the enemy, even when sorely outnumbered, and survives whilst pursuing a damsel-in-distress and an evil tyrant. Being the 21st C, this is all done in a brutally graphic style: heavy rain, mud, blood and guts. Throw in a few extra nasties: zombies, witches and other monsters. The result is a romp that does not tax the intellect to hard. On the whole not too bad, if you like this sort of stuff.
½ December 22, 2013
I ENJOYED THE FIGHT FOR GOOD AND EVIL AND THE INSIDE FIGHT THAT KANE HAD WITH OVER COMING TO EVIL OR BEING GOOD IN A EVIL WORLD.
September 23, 2014
The acting is pretty painful at some parts, and the characters are sloppily written and uninteresting, but the thing that saves Solomon Kane from complete failure is its dazzling visuals and well executed action.
February 2, 2015
Lame in comparance to other movies like this
August 31, 2013
a great movie. it was just like the pulps & comic books i read, James Purefoy
did a amazing job as Solomon Kane.