• R, 1 hr. 44 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Some Girls (Sisters) Reviews

February 21, 2009
To its credit, the film is well cast and boasts imaginative production design, but is neither particularly funny nor emotionally credible.
April 17, 2014
One line summary: A fine comedy about a duck out of water with an eccentric family.

------------------

Gabriella invites Michael to spend Christmas with the family in Quebec City. This includes the mother and father, plus sisters Simone and Irenka, and Irenka's boyfriend Nick.

Michael runs afoul of just about everything. Gabriella tells him she is no longer in love with him. Gabriella's mother is a fairly strict Catholic who believes in avoiding sex before marriage. The family dog does not seem to like him.

In a sub-thread, the grandmother is ill, and periodically escapes from the hospital to be with her dead husband at their previous home. While looking for Granny, Michael falls down a shaft. Granny discovers him, and they go back to where Granny lived with her husband, also named Michael.

Michael gets a second round of this when the others go skiing, Nick goes for petrol, and Michael thinks he's alone with her. Michael finds Granny's long missing 'summer shoes.' When he tries to present her with them, he finds that Granny has gone to yet another house.

On the way back to the hospital, Granny's health plummets. Nick and Michael don't quite get her back in time. The funeral was held before Christmas. Nick leaves after the viewing. At Christmas, things are a bit somber. Michael meets (yes, mysterious) Young Granny at the family tomb.

Michael has farewell discussions before he goes home.

------Scores------

Cinematography: 10/10 Professional presentation, start to finish.

Sound: 9/10 The actors were properly miked, and most of the incidental music was well-chosen.

Acting: 8/10 Patrick Dempsey was brilliant, as were Lila Kedrova, Andre Gregory, Florinda Bolkan, and Sanna Vraa. Jennifer Connelly was hard to recognise, and was more irritating than anything else.

Screenplay: 8/10 Clever and mature.
May 29, 2012
This movie is so good. I guess the photography, the mansion, the snowy landscape, and the girls are the perfect set for Dempsey's character development. Silly, dreamy, jealous, lost, generous and most of all lucky. I wish that was me living in that house with all those crazy beautiful girls.
Tesseract
November 20, 2012
This film suffered from bad advertisement. Viewers expecting a Jennifer Connelly/ Patrick Dempsey romantic comedy will be disappointed, but those who will appreciate Botticelli motifs, Faulkner references, and a whimsical yet touching meditation on the "mysteries of women" will come away pleasantly surprised. Dempsey's relationship with Lila Kedrova is sweet and uplifting, and the meditations on the nature of women by Andre Gregory are a fitting close to a lighthearted, thoughtful film.
January 24, 2012
Not bad, but not really good either. It does have it's sexy moments, though.
October 26, 2007
This is one of my favorite movies, period. It's far off-center, but even granting that the low audience rating is a head-scratcher. The heart of the movie isn't the relationship between Patrick Dempsey and Jennifer Connelly; it's the one between Dempsey and the wonderful, luminous Lila Kedrova. Give it a try - and give yourself over to it. A gem.
October 8, 2011
the only reason to watch this is J.Connelly showcasing her perfect body
May 23, 2011
wouldn't watch it again. it was slow and kinda boring. i kept waiting for something exciting to happen and nothing did. and the plot seemed all over the place. i didn;t get it.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This romance movie is slow moving, somewhat funny and entertaining, got some good actors, but in the end not that good.
August 9, 2010
Not what I was expecting to see. It was drama with a sweet side rather than a romantic comedy. Dempsey was funny, and it actually wasn't a bad movie. It had a sweet story. ok.
ChGeor9
July 2, 2010
The cast made this movie work.
I also thought of other movies with the cast members.
Leigh R

December 6, 2008
Not what I was expecting to see. It was drama with a sweet side rather than a romantic comedy. It was alright to see once but wouldn't try to see it again.
Paul Celano
December 14, 2009
The late 1980s would be a Patrick Dempsey time. He was in a lot of movies where he played a, well, a playboy. This is just one of those movies. But I found this film a little more interesting than most of his films. The girl he loves in the film is Jennifer Connelly. But her early acting abilities were just not that good. She was in it for eye candy probably. The story is this young guy dealing with the girl he likes family and mostly her sisters. In a way all the sisters want him. Plus the family all in all is just strange. The three sisters are referenced as the Three Graces. The Three Graces were the goddesses of charm, beauty and creativity. The charm part really shows in this film. But the scenes that stick out the most in this film that I enjoyed were with Lila Kedrova. It was more of a dramatic part with her and Patrick Dempsey's character. No one really paid attention to her in the crazy family except for him and he wasn't even related. The movie had a lot of hidden meanings and that is what made it a little more interesting to watch.
Sunil J

October 5, 2009
What the hell is the point of this movie!?? It's rediculous and BORING! I didn't even care why the family was so crazy.
December 28, 2008
Was recently introduced to this movie and absolutely loved it. 'Nuff said.
January 29, 2009
i dont remember it so well...
NoirChick
September 21, 2008
Pretty lame 80s teenage sex romp. I have to say, though, I was *shocked* that Patrick Dempsey went full-frontal! He is definitely *not* big. Sorry, Patrick. Still love ya!:)
Stagesmith
June 18, 2008
Some Girls is one of those rare little movies that are so often swept under the carpet by studios.
This movie has a odd history and has been mostly ignored by critics and fans.
I saw it first late one night many years ago and luckily saved it to VHS so I could share it with others.
At first I was attracted to it for the ever lovely Jennifer Connelly, but soon realized it was full of other little treasures.
This is a simple story of a boy, Michael (Patrick Dempsey) going to his recent ex-girlfriend's, Gabbie (Jennifer Connelly) house in Toronto for the Christmas Holidays.
He doesn't really know why he has been invited, but hopes it is to get back together.
He meets the odd cast of characters that make up her family.
Her 2 lovely sisters (Sheila Kelley and Ashley Greenfield) and the haughty mysterious mother (Florinda Bolkan).
Probably the most famous actor in the movie is Andre Gregory, of "My Dinner With Andre" fame, as the Father.
The thing about this movie is that the love story doesn't work, in fact it is never supposed to work.
Instead we experience the main character's confusion as he attempts to figure out the mysterious actions of this girl who broke his heart.
This is a movie for men who feel lost in the mystery that is "woman", and in the end we find the wisdom of the father who states you could live with his wife or any of his daughters for a hundred years and never really know them, and yet this is no reason to walk away.
He is happy to simply be allowed to share a life with these mysterious females.
I have met women like this, and have experienced that exact emotion.
Women with this quality rarely acknowledge it and are most often completely oblivious to the effect they have over men.
While the main love story is doomed from the start, a new love story happens in a very odd way when we meet Granny, played by the amazing veteran Russian actress Lila Kedrova.
Check her out on imdb sometime.
What a history.
She steals every scene she is in, and when she is being warmed up at the fire by Patrick Dempsey in the lodge after she has been wandering in the snow for days, in her semi-delusional state she keep mistaking Patrick Dempsey for her long dead husband , also called Michael, and launches into several breahtaking speeches about the love of her life.
The entire movie is worth watching just for her.
At the end of the movie we learn that the real love story was between Granny and her long dead husband, but Patrick Dempsey gets to taste just a hint of what that love was like, and it matures him to the point where he can finally accept the truth of Gabbie's feeling for him.
This movie has been ignored for a long time.
It reappeared briefly when Jennifer Connelly's star rose to prominence after "A Beautiful Mind", and again more recently with Patrick Dempsey's renewed career from TV's "Gray's Anatomy".
Sheila Kelly went on to a decent film career, but Ashley Greenfield disappeared after this.

I hope more people will see this movie and appreciate it for what it is.
Not a silly teen sex comedy, but instead homage to lovely mysterious women.
I had never heard of Lila Kedrova until his movie, and wish more of her movies were available.
April 16, 2008
A really deceptive little tale.

This starts out as the tale of a preppy college boy meeting his girlfriends family for the first time and then morphs into something a lot deeper and soulful.

There is a lot of arkwardly funny moments as we follow this very strange family on their xmas break. It's nicely played out and the settings are kinda odd which adds to the quirky charm. Its a really pretty film to watch and the Canadian setting really heaps on the atmosphere.

Then the Grandmother turns up and the story becomes really pretty interesting. The humour is still there, but it takes a back seat. The reveal at the end is quite touching and unexpected.

The cast are great, Dempsey is fine (although he does deserve a beating for that haircut) and the Connelly showed her greatness yet again (Also she is so hot, 80's style), I think I could watch her in pretty much anything.

All, told this is an underappreciated little gem of a story that has a lot more going on than it is given credit for.
MeVsMyself
December 14, 2007
Back in the days when McDreamy was known as McGeeky.