• Unrated, 1 hr. 16 min.

Somebody Up There Likes Me Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

October 14, 2013
Thirty-five years in the life of a waiter who goes through three lovers and one friend, while not visibly aging thanks to a magical suitcase. The detached twee style is unusual, like a sub-anesthetic dose of Wes Anderson, but this experiment in deadpan absurd comedy isn't particularly successful or meaningful.
September 21, 2013
A bizarre film that might be off-putting to audiences who don't adjust to its idiosyncratic pacing, but if you can get in rhythm with Byington's film, you might find yourself enjoying his unique take on life. With offbeat performances from Poulson and Weixler driving the film and a hilarious performance from Offerman adding color, these actors are able to earn your sympathy and care throughout the film's short run time.
March 30, 2013
I might have liked this had I laughed or cracked a smile at all during this entire film. But I didn't so I found it to be pointless and smug. Also lots of pointless nudity that mostly felt like ways to keep you more interested in the otherwise plotless movie.
March 11, 2013
entertaining enough film, its really short and very low budget, but it moves fast and has a good amount of laughs, from both the lead and nick offerman, im glad to see jessica chastatins best friend jess wexler getting some work, shes good in this, pretty much a typical sxsw film that i wouldve def seen there
August 16, 2014
Weird and almost typically indie. Great music and great dialogue. Can be frustrating because the story is a little vague, and I personally was too stupid to understand the ending, but the movie remained charming all the way through.
zafmonkey
March 22, 2014
Somebody up there likes me is abode with uninteresting characters doing nothing interesting led by an actor doing an irritating performance without any charisma. This is a film that thinks if a lot more witty and unique than it actually is. It is more of a combination of Wes Anderson meets Miranda July but miserably without any of the true heart or whimsy.
January 26, 2014
A thoughtful, funny, and poetic independent film that touches on both the transience and lasting impact of major life events. The friendship between the characters played by Nick Offerman and Keith Poulson seems to anchor the film with a humor and sincerity that gives a charming and sometimes unset...read moretling perspective on how modern lives unfold over time, for better and for worse. Ultimately a really great, entertaining, and funny dark comedy.
March 11, 2013
The chemistry between Offerman and Poulson is undeniably funny, but Somebody Up There Likes Me is without an enthralling story or any eminent style.
Robert B.
Pretty good! Not bad!
December 4, 2013
Somebody Up There Likes Me was truly one of the most refreshing comedies I have come across in a long time. What makes it solid as a comedy is that the humor is more on the subtle side. Furthermore, the movie finds laughter in the everyday situations, both grim and light. Unlike most comedies, which tend to throw tired jokes at their audiences, Somebody Up There Likes Me doesn't contain funny gags, but rather funny people, whose humorous qualities come from each of their own unique existences and the specific places they are in their lives.

The idea that life is continues while you remain in the same mental place was illustrated in such an effective way. The fact that the main character Max never ages throughout the film really showed that despite the passing of time, some of us remain stuck in a certain time in our lives that we are never able to fully escape no matter what happens to us along the way. This is something most people fail to consider; yet many experience.

The world of Somebody Up There Likes Me is also an element that really stands out. While the story takes place in the real world, there is still something otherworldly about the environment these characters exist in. The fact that Max never ages, the fact that his therapist is only halfway present and the fact that social backgrounds change in the blink of an eye all work to make a sort of heightened reality that is at once magical and relatable. All in all, this film was definitely a surprise to encounter; one of those movies that come your way, only to leave you wondering why it hadn't found you earlier.
December 4, 2013
Bob Byington's latest feature is a master class in deadpan comedy. It's an outrageously funny character study of Max (Keith Poulson), in which we get to see almost his entire adult life played out in 76 mins. It's funny, fresh, and it gets better every time you watch it. Absolutely see this films!
October 8, 2013
The oddness of the film starts off quirky and funny but as does the rest of the film it becomes less appealing as it progresses, until the intelligent last few minutes.
October 3, 2013
Glad it only cost me .99 cents to rent in iTunes.
September 29, 2013
Not really what post-modern comedy is but what it will be. Or, something like that. I am unable to actually defend my opinion of this odd little movie. But, I somehow enjoyed the dead-pan deliveries and the odd, uncomfortable awkwardness of the whole film.
September 23, 2013
I laughed throughout the entire movie and found its quirkiness refreshing rather than precious. The characters are clever jerks and I loved them all.
March 8, 2013
I didn't find Somebody Up There Likes Me as funny as others seem to, but I was fascinated enough by the curious quirky offering.
September 17, 2013
Thrown together very loosely, bland .
September 1, 2013
This film glistens with freshness (think air, not food) and tricks you with familiarity (people, not plot), daring you to project your expectations onto it and making a fool out of you if you do. It's best if you know how to laugh at yourself, after all.
June 6, 2013
Somebody Up There Likes Me is an indie comedy that succeeds in bringing moments of humor while also giving us some tragedy. It about a guy named Max whose a guy with a constant look of dissatisfaction on his face. When we meet first meet Max he's walking in the door to find his wife is cheating on him. So what does he do he just shrugs and walks out the door and marries the first person who will go out with him. She is Lyla and also in tow is Max's best friend Sal who walks into a situation and brings loads of sarcasm with him and he's the person with the most jokes in the movie. Max also has a blue suitcase that whenever he opens it a mysterious blue aura comes out and it causes him not to age. Overall this is a touching little comedy about marriage, friendship and the passing of time and it's probably one of my favorite movies of all time
April 15, 2013
Walked out of this one midway through. Complete waste of time and money.