96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Something Borrowed Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 20, 2011
It's a thin line between love and friendship.

Saw it again! Very good movie. I just can't help to enjoy chick flicks like this one. The story to me was very enjoyable and kept me indulge in it the whole time. Nice funny young cast to go along a nice screenplay.

Rachel is a lawyer. When she was in law school she fell for another student Dex who comes from an affluent family. But she's too shy to say anything. When Dex meets her best friend Darcy who treats her like dirt sometimes, who was visiting her, she makes a move on him and gets him. Eventually they get engaged and Darcy asks Rachel to be her Maid of Honor. But Rachel stills has feelings for Dex and still can't say anything. But when Darcy throws her a birthday party and Dex is there. When she and gets Dex are alone, she blurts out that she had a thing for him in college which surprised him. And after drinking a little they spend the night together. They try to forget the whole thing but can't but agree that it means nothing. But Ethan, Rachel close friend tells her that she'll spend her entire life regretting that if she does nothing.
Nicki M

April 13, 2011
Good chick flick. I liked the characters even though they were all pretty much cheaters and hard to feel sorry for - I think that is a credit to the cast to be able to say that!
Decent story and not silly as some of these movies can be , even in spite of Kate Hudson's over the top Darcy.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

August 25, 2011
At over two hours long this recycled and totally unbelievable mess of a movie had me close to welling up with tears of boredom rather than emotion. After seeing "Bride Wars" a few years ago, I fear that Kate Hudson who delivered so well in "Almost Famous" earlier in her career, is drifting into the stereotypical "bridezilla" best friend who has nothing in between her ears but air. Irritating cast, especially Goodwin, with the only one redeeming feature being the sexually frustrated Kransinski and the ever hilarious Steve Howey as Marcus. Aside from the basic comedy elements of this movie, it felt like I had already seen it a million times and no one needed a guide book to know how this bad boy ended. Dissapointing, but expectedly so.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
Cast: Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson, Colin Egglesfield, John Krasinski, Steve Howey, Ashley Williams, Geoff Pierson, Jill Eikenberry, Jonathan Epstein

Director: Luke Greenfield

Summary: When successful single lawyer Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) learns that her best friend, Darcy (Kate Hudson), is engaged to Dex (Colin Egglesfield) -- the same guy she's pined after for years -- she's determined to maintain her loyalty. But things don't go quite as planned. Instead, she and Dex wind up in bed on the night of her 30th birthday party. Not surprisingly, the fallout from their romantic "slip" generates awkwardness for all concerned.

My Thoughts: "As typical and predictable as the next rom-com. But I did enjoy it just a little more then I thought I would. I loved John Krasinski in this film and I don't think he was used enough. His character was the only honest, genuine, funny character worth watching or liking. Steve Howey as Marcus was very funny as well. He made the film more enjoyable too. The three main leads were just OK, although I do usually like their acting. The film kind of romanticizes cheating. You want to root for Dex and Rachel, but you want to dislike them at the same time. It was hard for me to believe that Rachel could even think to destroy her relationship with Darcy that she has had for so long. I'm sure it happens and as the film goes, you find out what the outcome from it is. It's an unfortunate position to be in. Makes you wonder if yourself was in that position what would you choose, love or friendship?"
Cynthia S

September 9, 2011
I read this book, and it was good. The movie was cute, in most ways...but I kept thinking throughout how this could be much better. Plus, I think that they totally wasted John Krasinsky. He could have really been written out, and the story would have been the same. It is entirely possible that what they did with his part cinched my opinion, since I adore him. All in all, though, this was cute.
Shawn E

April 22, 2011
typical, predictable, rom com mush.
Jennifer X

September 17, 2011
This movie is kind of painfully insulting to my gender because it portrays women either as self-centered, one-dimensional shrews or passive, one-dimensional homewreckers. I don't understand how such a misogynistic film was allowed to be made.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

June 1, 2011
Something Borrowed is just another example of crappy romantic comedies. The plot is almost two hours and it was one of the most boring story plots of 2011, but I will give credit to the final minutes that were a great ending. The cast was truly terrible, and the only one in this movie who was funny was John Krakinski and thats it, nobody else was funny. The romance didn't work and none of these people had chemistry. The jokes were not funny and I might have laughed twice with John Krakinski. This movie was a boring waste of time and I truly hated every minute of it.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

August 11, 2010
Although it is a predictable with a very standard formula for a romantic comedy movie, but I still like it.. Ginnifer Goodwin shows that she can be the next rom-com queen, like Jennifer Aniston maybe?, her performance in this movie really good even though I much like her performance in "He's Just Not That Into You".. Kate Hudson once again played the same character like she played before in "Bride Wars" which is not impressed me even though she did a good job in this movie.. It seems like she wasting her talent by playing a lot of romantic comedy movie rather than the drama movie, even though she once succeed grab an Oscar nominee for he performance in "Almost Famous" more than a decade ago.. John Krasinski still funny as ever, and he is the main reason why I'm watching this movie.. Although he played in "License To Wed" before, but I never expected he can be a romantic guy, especially with his face.. LOL.. For Colin Egglesfield, well I have not much words for commenting him in this movie, even though he's the main actor and the good looking one in here, but his star is less brighter than the three others.. Overall, yes it is a standard romantic comedy movie with a really good cast, even though it is standard but I like it.. Though I kinda hate the ending because the happy ending always goes to the main character, not everybody.. But the main question is the title of this movie "Something Borrowed" because I still don't get it, what's been borrowed heh??
Everett J

June 25, 2011
This is a romantic comedy that tries to change the formula around, and some of it works, and some of it fails. First, it has some very funny moments. John Krasinski has some very hilarious moments throughout the movie. He is by far the best actor and most likeable character in the film. I also really liked the way the movie told the story of Rachel(Ginnifer Goodwin) and Dex's(Colin Egglesfield) relationship through flashbacks. Not many rom-com's do that, and I think it really worked here. My biggest hang up with this is the ending. It's not a satisfying conclusion at all. I really didn't care for Darcy(Kate Hudson), and thought that Rachel would do much better than what she ended up doing. God, I sound like a girl in junior high. My wife really liked it, so I guess it met it's target audience(women). But for me, other than the ending, it was a very enjoyable film. There are a lot worse movies like this out, trust me, I've sat through most of them:-p
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
I have always loved Kate Hudson as an actress and this is another great film from her. Her characters never fail to make me laugh but I can't help but think that this isn't as good as her other films. Although still a great film and would definitely reccomend it!
Wildaly M

May 10, 2011
It was based on a book I read. I think it lived up to its title. Maybe an actor here or there could've been better cast.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

May 21, 2011
Something Borrowed uses a formula that set itself up for predictability. The scenes are arranged around Ginnifer Goodwin's charcter Rachel and look like this: good time with Dex, guilt with Dex, talks with Ethan, talks with Darcy, dance in a bar, and the occasional flashback. These different type of scene set ups are shuffled together and really have no variety. They're all just as blan as the other and do little to progress the story.

Are their any redeeming qualities? Very few. Not enough to pass this along as a watchable flick, but their are few that work. John Krassinski's sarcasm is adorbale and charming, but that's all we get from Ethan. Not much character development there. And he does get annoying always putting down everything that's going on and making Dex out like he's just jerking Rachel along for a ride. Although, we find out why, and that twist of why becomes the last we see of Ethan in the movie. That twist why ruins all credibility that Krasinski's character might have had.

The only other upside to Something's Borrowed is Kate Hudson's breakout when she finally figures out what is going on between her two best friends. During this one brief moment when Kate Hudson stand in the doorway finally circum to suspistion, she fnally settles down from all the "woo-hoo" and pretentiousness to for once feel emotionally taken down instend of acting and believing that everything works out for her. Finally she levels down to realism and the look in her face when she gets a clue almost garnered her respect. This would only last a short while until she gets back into her groove of self-glorifying and thinking everything still works out for her and she's all perfect.

We know he was friends with Rachel and Darcy growing up, but how he got back into their lives is left out. At least Darcy is reuniting with Rachel because she invited her to celebrate the end of finals at law school. I'm assuming law school went on longer then the 9 months we heard of, but again, it's not adressed. When Darcy came into the picture took Dex from Rachel and law school just never seemed to come up again. Even when Rachel is explaining the events in the past which are all jumbled up, the last thing we see of them was six years ago at a bar and Dex walks out to stop Rachel from leaving.

The worst thing about Something Borrowed is how connected the audience should be. How are we supposed to understand these two "innocent" characters' tremendours guilt in their affair when the cheated on person is so horrible and undesirable and the guilt is always on again and off again? How are we supposed to root for anyone or feel connected to anyone when everyone is so flimsy and obnoxious?
Tom M

May 25, 2011
Annoying story, stupid problems, and new problems that just pop up every time you think the movie is going to end. It bored me, despite a decent performance from Kate Hudson.
KJ P

May 7, 2011
I am going to be extremely generous here, because this film is definitely not a good one, but the cast is likeable, the comedy is surprisingly funny, the story is stale, yet charming, and the plot kind of gives you sympathy, but that is all. So, if you overlook the fact that this story has been washed up thousands of times, that there is a wannabe Tom Cruise as a lead, the cinematography is terrible and completely non-engaing, and the end of the movie completely takes the heart out of anything the movie had going for it, then the film may be a tad bit average. However, this is not the case, these flaws are all present and I can almost say that I wasted my money on this one, but I have to admit that I did laugh quite a few times, because John Krasinski's presence will put a smile on anybody's face. This film is far below average, but it is a pretty funny movie!
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
George F

June 29, 2011
so here's my problem, Something Borrowed borrows A LOT from every other romantic comedy that tells this same story. The only one they didn't borrow enough from? My Best Friend's Wedding, which is a much better version of the same thing. The difference? The old Julia Roberts flick was a little braver in going against obvious stereotypes instead of falling back on every one of them. That said, I like you too much for you to keep making these movies, Mr. Krasinski. Stop it.
PantaOz
PantaOz

September 1, 2011
Something Borrowed is romantic comedy based on Emily Giffin's BAD book of the same name, directed by Luke Greenfield, starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson, Colin Egglesfield and John Krasinski. And that is probably all you should know about it!

There is no need to tell you about Rachel White (Ginnifer Goodwin) - a single, talented attorney working in a New York law firm who grabs a cab with her friend Dex (Colin Egglesfield) and playfully reveals she has had a crush on him since law school... and what happens after that... because everything is so predictable!

If you have nothing better to do, maybe this is a movie for you! Next time I'll choose Scrabble.
Jin M

June 25, 2011
"Something Borrowed" invests its efforts towards highlighting the significance of actively pursuing one`s desires by depicting the schizophrenic relationship that swings back and forth the lover and friend extrema to eventually reach the easily predictable resting point. Though some viewers may find this repetitious motion annoying and not worth bearing, the film does indeed incorporate its fair share of risible instances to create a pleasant ride to and fro this sinuous love adventure. Rachel`s (Ginnifer Goodwin) timorous indecisiveness as frustrating as it may be, does however help the film become more human and thus more realistic as it sheds light on how gut-wrenchingly difficult it is to make that ultimate decision that deep inside feels righteous but on the surface it could surely breach open an unmendable gap between closest friends. All in all "Something Borrowed" lends several opportunities to laugh whilst gifting the audience with the rewards of not living as someone else`s shadow.
SC007
SC007

June 14, 2011
This romantic comedy is a big misfire. It needed a major rewrite. It is too predictable. I didn't like they way the film opened. It should have had all the flashback scenes in the beginning of the film.

Ginnifer Goodwin is great as the lead. It is also nice seeing her make the transition from playing the best friend characters to the leading lady characters. Both this film and even He's Just Not That Into You show that. Kate Hudson was miscast. She is too over the top and annoying. John Krasinski steals the movie. He provides the comic relief in the film and has the best lines. Colin Egglesfied reminds me of a young Tom Cruise. He has a good on screen chemistry with Goodwin. I did like the ending song of the film.