Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap Reviews

½ June 8, 2012
This movie is a who's who of Hip-Hop, explaining their craft. This is a documentary that anyone that loves rap needs to watch. I just wish that there would be a way to buy the outtakes, as there were so many rappers in this documentary.
½ June 23, 2012
Eric B and Rakim taught us not to sweat the technique but the point of this documentary is to sweat it profusely. Ice-T tries to get into every rapper's head that he talks to and tries to dissect the process that each one comes up with in writing lyrics (which you can imagine is as different as every rapper he talks to) and how they react when they hear a great rhyme from another MC. A labor of love that looks into the craft of the biggest pillar of hip hop....providing glimpses of what hip hop was about and ,hopefully, provides a guiding light on where it should be going.
August 13, 2015
The fact that Ice is friends with everyone makes a big difference as you can tell that the artist are being 100% real. The overall production value is top notch and the music is mind blowing. If you have never seen free styling seeing KRS and Eminem do it will blow your mind. Another thing that was cool was Kanye's interview.The documentary seems to run a little too long for this sort of subject matter. Perhaps if you're a die-hard fan of rap, you won't believe so. As an insightful look at the medium, it manages to wander into that sort of territory, but never does it gridlock itself to that area. It too manages to incorporate freestyles, jokes, old memories, and extensive interviews all in its runtime. On second thought, maybe it isn't too long at all.
½ July 28, 2015
Avec The Art of Rap, Ice-T et Andy Baybutt n'ont aucune ambition narrative ni même aucun envie de raconter l'histoire du rap. Ce qui les intéresse ici, c'est le processus créatif du hip-hop, la manière dont les grands du genre écrivent et posent sur un beat. De témoignages en témoignages, en passant par des a capella de Nas, Grandmaster Caz, Kanye West (étrangement sympathique), Immortal Technique ou encore Doug E. Fresh, The Art of Rap est un film passionnant et très original. Ice-T et Baybutt ne sont jamais aussi bons que lorsqu'ils laissent la musique et le skill faire leur magie, sur des images d'hélicoptère de coucher de soleil à New York, Detroit ou Los Angeles. Il est dommage que la partie à Los Angeles soit beaucoup moins réussie que celle de New York. Heureusement, elle dure 3 fois moins longtemps.
½ May 21, 2015
Ice-T is hosting a rap documentary and we get to know famous artist from the very beginning until more recent days. It's pretty informing and it tell you the basic story of each artists. They bust a few raps and let you in on some of their tricks and ways of making music, but it's rearly give away super interesting facts.

We get to see people from Grandmaster Cas to Snoop, Melle Mel to Kanye and from B-Real to Q-tip. If you don't know anything about rap you will get a lot out of the flick, but if you know your history it won't bring much to the table.

5.5 out of 10 bars.
½ September 29, 2014
Tearing down the walls between listener and performer, Ice T asks some of the most renowned MCs what the art of rap is to them. To-the-point, no-nonsense wisdom, spoken and spit by the masters of the game, reveals the origins and impetus of the art form.
½ May 14, 2014
If your a big hip-hop head this is a classic. If your kind of into hip-hop this is one of the top documentary for you to watch to understand the art. I've watched many rap/hip-hop documentary but this one sums up the essence. I can't help but feel like Ice-T was very selective with how long he let each interview go, and can't help but feel like he held some jewels out on us.
January 2, 2013
This is a great film, but I just want to be a purist for a minute. During the end credits when they list deceased rappers they put H.A.W.K. and later on your see Big HAWK. Just so everyone knows... thats the same person. Kinda gridded my gears.
August 6, 2012
Beautiful (honestly incredible) urban shots and nice stories. For me the only problem is not what's in the movie, but what isn't - names like Keith Edward, Kool Herc, etc. are way too important to skip. It is , however, a great documentary in it's own right.
½ October 25, 2013
They got em' all, but I don't think they went much beneath the surface. I'd like some more technical info, but definitely interesting
½ September 5, 2013
It's not particularly involving or informative but worth a watch simply for a demonstration of lyrical prowess and the mastery of an art-form. NY, LA and Detroit, they all have their place here.
September 5, 2013
This is a must for anyone into hip hop
October 27, 2012
I never realized the poetry that rap can be.
June 9, 2013
Just watched this. Highly recommended. Feeling very nostalgic for some old school hip hop
½ September 25, 2012
Not as insightful as I thought, but if you don't know much about the genré already, this is a good dose.
May 3, 2013
Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap was "entertaining" in the same way an action-figure might be "entertaining" - for a divorced, balding middle-aged man. The Art of Rap (which I will refer to hereon as Ice-T's movie) is basically ultimate fanservice with no substance. It's meant to titillate the viewer with all the really "cool interviews" and "awesome freestyles bro!" from their favorite rappers, simultaneously feeding Ice-T's ego while doing so. Really. That's it. Watching Ice-T's movie for anyone who cares about Hip-Hop is like buying a video-game with all your favorite characters or teams, only to find out you can't do anything but watch the computer play them. Or watching a movie with all your favorite actors (a la The Departed) only to be pained and appalled by how shitty it is (New Year's Eve). It's an empty illusion. As a documentary or dissertation on Hip-Hop, it fails on so many levels that elucidating each one would require an attention-span I don't feel like providing to this film.

Even as fanservice, Ice-T's movie still proves pretty crappy. Most of the freestyles are uninspired, many interviews just useless bantering, the skyscraper/skyline shots lazily put-together and unnecessary, and scenes like the one with the gawking fan and Q-Tip... A middle finger to video editing. The fact Ice-T put his movie out like this supposes he's either mentally retarded or completely narcissistic. Probably a mixture of both.

Hey, I still enjoy Ice-T in Law & Order. Maybe that accounts for *something*.
½ March 18, 2013
The only reason that is doesnt get all 5 stars is cause they really didnt have any of the new up and coming artist that i know Ice-T respects, and i understand the game you only want people famous on your work.
November 24, 2012
Fan-god-damn-tastic! If you're a fan of hip-hop, you will enjoy this!
½ June 17, 2012
As an avid studier/enthusiast of Hip-hop already, this documentary didn't feed me much that I didn't already know. However it's always a pleasure to see Hip-hop legends speak about the culture they've grew up in and nurtured over the years. Excellent for the casual rap listener who doesn't know where to start digging for information about Hip hop. They will find gold.