Something the Lord Made - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something the Lord Made Reviews

½ June 2, 2008
I was intruiged by this movie for some reason, not the least of which was the pairing of Flixster favorite Rickman with hip-hop star Mos Def. One of the best movies I've seen in years, even as the deck was stacked against Vivien for years.
April 17, 2007
Love this movie! Very touching and I amazed by the extent of the plot. Mos Def portrayed a remarkable character.
May 20, 2007
How can a surgery scene be edge of your seat TV viewing? This is a beautiful movie. Mos Def was excellent... who is this guy??? This movie managed to show the 'bigotry' of the past without seeming to judge it. It was like a curtain that was pushed aside over time. Very well done.
October 4, 2007
I sincerely hope that this movie is an accurate description of its inspiration, for if it is not a good & true accurate description of history then truly this movie sucks & history is perhaps worse, or better, & perhaps we will never truly know. I know for a fact that I would not enjoy the movie very much if it was largely fiction.
September 30, 2007
helk ya , go alan . seriously this is such a good movie , soo good . it gives you something to think obout . something the lord made ? you .
½ October 23, 2009
A story of a prominent doctor and his black lab assistant who suffers the inequities of a racially biased society that pioneers the practice of open heart surgery at John Hopkins Hospital

A slow moving drama to be sure but the best performance I've seen by MosDef to date .
October 19, 2009
This is a wonderful earth shaking movie. It is in itself a moving experience. Art and life in motion.
September 13, 2009
Watched this last night with Ami. It deserved all the awards that it won. True story tales are always the most powerful.
March 15, 2009
Excellent and very moving! Mos Def is outstanding in another completely different role. It's also great to see Alan Rickman back in a solid part! They were both tremendous! Also, a true story that I was not aware of. Most of it took place right in Baltimore (Johns Hopkins).
March 3, 2009
Great movie. Started slow, but got better after a while. I liked how the two doctors teamed up, but I hated how the white man would get all the credit and he let it happen, like as if there was no one helping him. This movie was fantastic.
May 12, 2008
Absolutely fantastic rendition of the real life decisions made by two persons who really "cured" hearts with their own despite all their travails. A must see for anyone who needs inspiration!!!!!!
January 19, 2008
Wonderful movie! Alan Rickman is terrific as always. He's a great actor. The best surprise of this movie is Mos Def. This is probably his best work. Mos Def is a very talented actor. This is a great story based on true events and it's a must see. Rent it or catch it on HBO.
January 15, 2008
Loved it... Although Alan's southern accent threw me for a loop at first. Mos Def's performance was great... but I am just hooked on Alan. *sigh*
January 11, 2008
Vinny, I love your review on this....I've been looking for this movie. I caught it a while back on HBO (i think) and haven't seen it since.
January 11, 2008
I have never really been a big fan of Mos Def, mostly because of the way he talks, it just annoys me to no end... But in this movie I thought he did very well and Alan Rickman also, though I have always enjoyed his work. The movies is overall very interesting and entertaining :)
January 5, 2008
Excellent HBO movie - if you haven't seen it, get it. Mos Def is fantastic, as per usual, is Alan Rickman.
December 23, 2007
[Amazed at Vivian's surgical skill] Dr. Alfred Blalock exclaims, "This is like something the Lord made!"

The curious thing is that Flixster fails to include Mos Def in the cast of this marvelous film.

I was gonna end my comments, but then I heard Vivian Thomas' wife, played by Gabrielle Union, tell Vivian (Mos Def), "Just because your not in the news doesn't mean you were not there Viv!" The influence and significance of his wife is incomprehensible. Praise God for her encouragement and timely words.

"I'm invisible to the world, I understand that I don't mind that, but I thought it was different in here! - Vivian Thomas (Mos Def) tells Dr. Alfred Blalock. Sometimes we are not recognized for our efforts and the absence of praise can be immeasurably difficult; even if we are changing how the human heart works like Vivian. Yet how many know that it is God that will exalt you in due be faithful and remain humble in your endeavors.
November 12, 2007
Alan with a southern accent! His character, Dr. Balock (?) pushes society not only about racial lines but pushing the medical boundries in this inspring story.
October 7, 2007
Wonderful movie. Alan Rickman does a great job. Takes it a runs with it really. Quite an impact made at this time. The whole time the most creative mind is the black man (Dr. Thomas) and the white man gets all his credet for success. Two friends that would take on any challenge. One no one could solve. Dr. Thomas's protrate was the first "black man's" to be put on their wall, next to his partner Dr. Blalock to be charished forever. All his hard work payed off close to the end of his life. Very powerful and beautifully filmed.
September 18, 2007
Inspirational and touching. Wonderful acting on the part of Alan Rickman and Mos Def. I am Adding this to the top of my list of favorite movies. A true story about a breakthrough in heart surgery that saves babies lives. I felt bad for Vivian Thomas (Mos Def) because of the discrimination he had to endure, he should have gotten much more recognition for the work he did. The relationship between Dr. Alfred Blalock and Vivian Thomas was powerful. Really a must see movie about a important triumph in history.