Something Wicked This Way Comes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something Wicked This Way Comes Reviews

½ January 1, 2012
I'm sure Something Wicked This Way Comes would have worked on me had I seen it at the proper age, but unfortunately I didn't. The film isn't altogether a mess. It's directed by Jack Clayton, has a score from James Horner, and features both Pam Grier and Jonathan Pryce in leading roles. What's not to love? Well it has a couple of annoying child actors in it for starters. Second, the meat of the story doesn't kick in until toward the end of the second act. It definitely gets dark, but not quite as wicked as its title promises. It feels more family-friendly than anything, and I think that's its major weakness. It has plenty going for it, but not enough for something really memorable or captivating. Worth a rent, but not much else I'm afraid.
February 15, 2011
Cute movie in the company of "The Lady in White" and "Stand By Me". Buddies deal with a mysterious carnival that visits town. I was expecting a little more wicked... but it is more family friendly than horror.
March 21, 2009
Very dark. Very disturbing. I think Disney was very depressed in the 80's. Something Wicked This Way Comes is a mixed bag of brilliance and boredom. When it tells the story of the young protagonists it is slow and doesn't seem to be building up to anything. When we finally get to the carnival, things liven up. Pryce is amazing in his role as Mr. Dark. Charming, sinister and very intimidating. The film touches on deep issues such as regret, acceptance and the fear of growing old. We see many characters past their prime. The aged beauty queen, the crippled sports athlete etc. We see how things become better, but at a cost. Robards is a strong emotional anchor between the world of the children and that of the carnival. Another fantastic Disney death here as well. It's a wonderful tale, but probably best for adults and older kids.
October 7, 2012
It starts off creepy and seems like there is a lot of potential, but it kind of just goes downhill from there.
March 1, 2008
I'm not surprised that this movie managed scare me, since Disney does have an excellent track record of traumatizing the shit out of me - I just wish the final ten minutes weren't so rushed, because they let down everything that came before them.
November 2, 2008
Great creepy scenes and story. The ending of the film is a bit mashed together, but I can forgive it. Awesome!
August 27, 2007
This is a spooky little disney film where the devil takes over a town.
June 3, 2014
I've tried a few times over the years to sit through this whole movie, and I just can't. I realize it was made in 1983, but even taking that into consideration, the production quality is pretty awful, especially by Disney standards. The plot drags and none of the characters are particularly likeable. Definitely not some of Disney's best.
½ April 26, 2013
Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) -- [7.0] -- A mysterious carnival rolls into town, granting wishes at a sinister cost in Disney's adaptation of the Ray Bradbury story. I wish the film were more strongly from the perspective of the two leading boys and that their parts were better written. But this is still a pretty entertaining fable that achieves some genuinely spooky moments. Jonathan Pryce steals the show as the carnival's leader, Mr. Dark. Pryces' scenes with Jason Robards, including one where he offers Robards restored youth, are the movie's finest. An exciting climax and a brooding, romantic James Horner score help swing the film into good favor. With Pam Grier and Diane Ladd.
½ November 13, 2011
The production design evokes all the wonder and peril that should come with a mysterious carnival, and the characters are engaging enough, if straight off the conveyor belt from the Coming-of-Age Factory. (Also, this is one of those movies that spends loads of time pondering the joys and melancholic trappings of boyhood and fatherhood, but curiously has nothing to say about girls or women.) There's at least one memorable setpiece involving tarantulas - it's the type of sequence that became a rarity after the PG-13 rating came along and ruined the great kid-horror movie mashup genre. The scene also doesn't make sense and seems almost like an obligation to ensure they had something interesting to put in the commercials. What also doesn't make sense is the abrupt ending. Still, there are worse ways to spend a lazy Sunday evening than watching a movie that is less scary than when you first watched it from behind a pillow at age 5.
December 23, 2008
in my top ten of favorite horror films. this is some creepy scary stuff. an incredible book transformed into an excellent movie. Jonathon price and jason robards are equally amazing
November 8, 2008
One of my favorite movies... wonderful story of childhood, and what it means to grow up and take responsibilities....
May 21, 2008
The plot is nothing special and the acting is somewhat subdued, but what makes this movie work is atmosphere. Very dark and creepy, this is probably not for very young kids. But older kids to grownups should get a thrill.
½ May 17, 2008
I still think it's funny that Disney produced this creepy film. It scared me as a kid, but as an adult, I could understand better Bradbury's difficulties.
May 6, 2008
Bizarre. Eerie. Kind of confusing. Reminded me of something but I'm not sure what. Maybe it reminded me of Stephen King's "It". Not sure.
January 31, 2008
Let's hope the circus you ran away to join when you were a kid, wasn't this one. Classic suspense-based horror. A beautiful, if dark, story.
½ November 14, 2007
This was a great movie. A great adaptation of the book. I loved watching this. Jonathan Pryce played a perfect Dark. Man, I never thought I would like this movie as much as I do.
½ October 2, 2007
It may not be as scary today - but this movie scared the pants off of me when I was younger. It still is a quite spooky PG film.
June 29, 2007
loved it totally scared the crap out of me when I was yonger, and to this day, I'm aprehensive of travaling carnavals at night!
½ June 7, 2007
Saw it when I was like 10. Scared me to death. The dream he has with all those tarantulas? EW! Gotta see it again some day...