• PG-13, 2 hr. 3 min.

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Something's Gotta Give Reviews

Lucas A.
June 24, 2014
Sweet, romantic and fanciful. Nancy Meyers's new romantic comedy stars Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton in a funny love story! The magic in this film is the hilarious creative context and the amazing performances. Diane Keaton is simply lovely on her role, that earned her fourth Academy Award-nomination and her second Golden Globe Award. Jack Nicholson, plays Harry Langer, a old playboy who prefers young women. Their characters intersect in this crazy and entertaining story, making an amusing romantic conflict.
February 25, 2013
It may not be as well written as some romantic comedies like those of Woody Allen, but the two main characters are perfect.
Cle S.
May 19, 2014
Not bad, but definitely not for my age. Maybe Jack Nicholson made the right decision when he retired, because movies like this seem to me like a waste of his talent.
April 26, 2014
Another one of those charming romantic comedies from Nancy Meyers that is also appealing to guys as it is targeted to women.
April 9, 2014
Harry Sanborn is a perennial bachelor who only dates women under the age of thirty. On what was to have been a romantic weekend with his latest infatuation, Marin, at her mother's Hamptons beach house, Harry develops chest pains. Marin's mother Erica Barry, a successful, divorced playwright, reluctantly agrees to help nurse him back to health. Once they are alone together, Harry is surprised to find himself drawn to Erica for all the right reasons. And despite her initial protestations about Harry, Erica finds herself rediscovering love. Romantic complications arise when Erica is also pursued by Harry's charming 30-something doctor, Julian Mercer. Once recovered, Harry returns home and goes back to his old ways. However, when his feelings for Erica prove to be life altering, Harry must undergo a true change of heart--if he is to win her back.
April 9, 2014
Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton Give Wonderful Performances In This Romantic Comedy.
Harry Sanborn (Nicholson), Is A Wealthy Bachelor Who Only Dates Women Under The Age Of Thirty, On What Is Supposed To Be A Romantic Weekend With His Latest Girlfriend, Marin (Amanda Peet), Harry Has A Heart Attack, While At Marin's Mothers', Erica Barry (Diane Keaton) Beach House. Erica Reluctantly Agree's To Nurse Harry Back To Health. What Ensuses Is A Comedic Rivalry, Which Turns Into A Love Affair.
Filled With Some Hilarious Moments, A Great Script And Excellent Performances From It's Supporting Cast. Something's Gotta Give Is A Great Comedy, That Might Be Heavy On Romantic Rivalry, But It's Not Shoved In Your Face Making It Suitable For Audiences Of Both Genders. A Great Film, That I Would Watch Again And Again.
April 6, 2014
Nicholson and Keaton couldn't have been better. The kind of thing you can watch over and over without being terribly bored.
John B

March 31, 2014
A couple of unlikely spring-summer romances allows Nicholson to play his usual modern persona and allows Keanu to once again be a block of wood. It's okay but we've seen it before.
March 29, 2014
Written and directed by Nancy Myers (What Women Want (2000), The Holiday (2006) and It's Complicated (2009)), this is a bubbly romantic comedy with a massive cast which gives Jack Nicholson the excuse to lust after young women and Diane Keaton does a funny turn, and manages to steal the film along the way. They're all aided by a smart script and a good supporting cast too. Harry Sanborn (Nicholson) is a music mogul and a serial womaniser who is 63 and dates women under 30. His latest squeeze is Marin Klein (Amanda Peet) and they go to spend a weekend at the seaside house of her mother Erica (Keaton), who manages to walk in. She disapproves of this, but after Harry suffers a heart attack during foreplay with Marin, Dr. Julian Mercer (Reeves) orders Harry to stay nearby for a few days in case of any relapses, which means he has to stay at Erica's house, who isn't happy. But, something sparks off between the two of them, and Erica is amazed at how Harry knows so much about relationships. It's a silly and fluffy romantic comedy, and Nicholson and Keaton bounce off each other perfectly, and there's some wonderfully sharp observations and dialogue along the way. As stated, it might give it's cast the excuse to do the sort of parts they're known for, but they do it so well.
February 23, 2014
One of the most predictable movies I've seen in a while. Hardly gripping or captivating at all and the plot could be seen from a mile away. The only thing really enjoyable was the score.
February 22, 2014
Does age matter that much? Can someone the age of 36 date some 20 years his elder? Nancy Meyers never really truly answers that question. What we do know, is that despite the differences in personality two people may have, they can still fall in love. That is theme of the film. It is beautifully painted by Meyers, and wonderfully portrayed by Jack and Diane.
Davis  P.
February 13, 2014
Pretty good, great performances by both well known leads, some funny parts, along with some very dramatic scenes.
February 7, 2014
Despite the quality of the leads this a bit of a trudge. Never particularly funny, heavily sentimental and often unbelievable. A waste of good talent.
January 19, 2014
This is not the best romcom I've ever seen, and I would probably have turned it off if was not for the likeable characters played by Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. I didn't really laugh much, but it was reasonably interesting, although I must admit I read my Kindle quite a lot of the time while it was on.
December 31, 2013
Diferente y divertida, esta comedia funciona, gracias a su reparto de lujo, destacando al dúo Nicholson-Keaton, ya con edad pero con el título de leyendas. No se le puede pedir más.
December 30, 2013
Boring, and unfunny. Because of it's huge length for such a narrow plot, it becomes frustrating to watch, and not in a good way, when they throw and miss for each other and over. The acting was great, but that was basically all the movie had going for it.
December 15, 2013
Maybe when I'm older, I'll give this movie another chance. But for now, it was just lost on me.
May 18, 2008
Great romantic comedy, great cast, and great music score by Hans Zimmer. Personally, I consider that it's the best of all Nancy Meyers' film yet.
September 27, 2013
"Something's Gotta Give" is an odd example of a romantic comedy. It's cute, predictable, and ultimately makes you smile without much question. If anything, it has the bases of any other example of the genre. Yet, there's magic going on here, and everything clicks. Whether or not it can be credited to writer/director Nancy Meyers, who obviously has the knowledge on how to create the look and feel of a romantic comedy, or the exciting pairing of Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson, it doesn't matter. "Something's Gotta Give" is just plain good.
At first glance, Nicholson seems to be playing himself here. He portrays Harry Sanborn, a 63-year old record company executive who can't be called "aging" because he's always lived the same way: he dates women several years his junior, ones that are young bimbos looking for fun.
Harry's womanizing ways are well-known, as he covered the New York Times magazine because he's sort of, "The Escape Artist." But Harry is likable, not some jerk we instantly hate. He's smart, funny, and knows exactly what people want to hear.
His latest conquest is Marin Barry (Amanda Peet), a young woman who is beautiful but far from a floozy. For a weekend getaway, she takes Harry to her mother, Erica's (Keaton) beach house in the Hampton's, since Erica is away. As it turns out, this doesn't happen; Erica, and Marin's aunt (Frances McDormand) are there, and immediately have their own idea of the man that Harry is.
But in the middle of a make-out fest with Marin, Harry has a heart-attack, and is rushed to the hospital. His doctor (Keanu Reeves) develops a crush of the accompanying Erica quickly; to make matters worse, everyone, with the exception of Erica, plans to travel back to the city. So Harry and Erica end up spending the next few days together, with surprisingly good results.
It's such a pleasure to see Nicholson and Keaton together again that "Something's Gotta Give" already has a good reason to be watched. But luckily, it isn't one of those films that's fun but that's all. Not only is it memorably honest, but it's intelligent. Myers, whose writing is a nice mixture of sweet and witty, gently satirizes Nicholson's public image as a ladies man, with surprisingly endearing results. Later on in the film, we see a gentler side of the character, which makes us realize that in the end, Nicholson might not be as bad as we thought.
He has believable chemistry with Keaton, most likely because they seem so opposite. While Nicholson always appears smooth and confident, Keaton is neurotic and appears uncomfortable with social situations. Keaton's little quirks (which always makes her lovable) resonate nicely on the screen, and it's easy to see why she is so intrigued by the prospect of Nicholson's character.
In the end, you could watch "Something's Gotta Give" several times and it could still entertain you. Nicholson and Keaton are timeless; so is the film.
Ascension
September 25, 2013
Meyers' execution and writing is heavy-handed and shallow, and the work in front of the camera does not stand out among other rom-coms.