Movies Like Sometimes They Come Back

Sometimes They Come Back Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

October 17, 2011
Vinnie Vincent: You always wanted to be like your brother didn't you Jimmy?
Richard Lawson: Dead.
David North: VERY dead.

If PBS attempted to make a horror film, it would come out a lot like Sometimes They Come Back. This movie was pretty much torture to watch. Okay it is a made for tv movie, but I don't care; at least make it somewhat enjoyable. I don't like to call movies corny because it's an overused statement, but damn is this movie corny.

The flashbacks that Jim has of him and his brother are simultaneously embarrassing to watch and hilarious. The dialogue is just so fake between them. As for the rest of the movie, it isn't as bad as the flashbacks, but still horrible. I haven't read the short story by Stephen King, but I highly doubt that this captured it like he wrote it.

The movie has a lot of King elements that he uses in so many of his stories. A man comes back to a town where he lived as a child like in Salem's Lot and Dolores Claiborne. There's a gang of hoodlums that tormented him and his brother as kids like in IT and Stand By Me. The whole plot is about overcoming something from the past that is effecting you presently and if you don't deal without it forever. I guess by those plot details, it reminds me most of IT.

Sometimes They Come Back is down there with the worst of the King adaptions that I have seen. Not quite to the level of Dreamcatcher, but still almost unwatchable. The cast is bad, especially the actress who plays his wife; I'd write her name, but honestly I don't care enough to even look at the credits.
Al S

September 14, 2009
An instant classic. One of the greatest horror movies ever made and the greatest Stephen King adaptation ever. A terifying, riveting and mind-blwoing rollar-coaster ride of a thrill-machine.
Cassandra M

July 27, 2009
This film is a classic 'Stephen King' film. The scenes from this film I mostly enjoyed was Jimmy Normans flashbacks from his childhood memories 27 years before as well as very cool and brutal Nick Sadler (Vinnie Vincent) and Richard Lawson(Robert Rusler) while slaying Jimmys students one by one until they got they're own personal revenge on Jimmy for when they were killed 27 years before. A performance well done! What I liked about this film was the grimness/ darkness of the movie, which brings a shiver in my skin every time I watch it. This feeling brings upon me a sense of realism, as though what happened to Jimmy Norman as a child when his brother was murdered by the 4 gangsters and when they came back to haunt him years later has actually happened in real life; Which is amazing because all this would never happen in real life, other than the part when Jimmys brother was murdered.

I found this film both scary and humorous (in one) for there were scenes that I didn't know whether to laugh at or scream at (ie. when the 3 gangsters turned into burnt corpses in their car just before they killed Chip Conway/ and the way Billy Sterns body was positioned and the way his face looked when he fell off his bike and landed in the ditch under the bridge. If you haven't seen this film, I suggest you should, as you'll be laughing and screaming all the way through it.
deano
deano

February 12, 2007
Chilling thriller gets good mileage from Stephen King's book. Tim Matheson is superb as the high school teacher who returns to his hometown 30 years after his brother died in a freak accident. The bullies responsible, who also died in the accident, come back one by one to seek revenge against Matheson.
Dr Blood

June 23, 2007
A thoroughly entertaining ghost story with enough horror to please even the most bloodthirsty.
Jason S

February 26, 2007
Stephen King movie. Made for tv I think. Not too bad.
Dann M

April 12, 2014
Based on a Stephen King short story, Sometimes They Come Back is a dark, supernatural thriller. After a number of Jim Norman's students are murdered and mysteriously replaced by the undead, he's forced to confront the demons of his past. The acting is pretty mediocre and doesn't really capture the terror or intensity needed for a horror film. And, the plot meanders a bit and is a little vague on some points. It's a problematic film, but Sometimes They Come Back is able to deliver a few frights.
DrLappos

iLeo

March 29, 2007
A favorite.
February 21, 2012
Takes a completely wrong approach to the film while giving away too much at the start. It's a complete waste of talent and money.
donibscott
June 1, 2010
Stephen King does not disappoint in this movie. It takes you from one extreme of emotion to another. There is a good story line, and the action in the movie to back it up. A must see if you are already a fan of horror.
xandiXlizXmackix
July 20, 2009
Sometimes They Come Back has a gang of high school hoodlums rising from the dead to finish the job on the teacher whose brother was killed in the past. It's a great horror tale of revenge.
arynne23
October 20, 2008
Had the worst crush on Alexis Arquette in this movie...Now, he's still beautiful, but in a different way :)
HorrorMovieCinema
July 21, 2008
Desperate for work, troubled high school teacher Jim Norman (Tim Matheson) relocates his family to his rural hometown after procuring a much-needed job there. Once home he must relive and confront a hildhood nightmare: the high school hoodlums who murdered his older brother in a tunnel ambush, and were killed themselves by an oncoming train, are slowly rising from the grave to finish the job by killing Norman. The ghostly hooligans, who appear as flesh and blood to students, start "transferring" into school when some of Norman's students mysteriously perish; however their phantom, fire-spitting car is invisible to all but their victims. Suspicion for the inexplicably rising student-body count soon falls squarely on Norman, who must find a way to protect his wife and son from danger, vanquish the supernatural hoods, and cast off the shackles of his past. It's a fairly straightforward plot with some obvious elements, but Matheson and his supporting cast (including wife Brooke Adams) create a suspenseful, fear-inducing atmosphere under the able direction of Tom McLoughlin from a screenplay adaptation by Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal.
yodalewis
June 1, 2008
One of King's better film adaptions. Neither Hillary Swank nor Alexis Arquette are in this movie despite her being credited onthis page.
Birkedahl
May 22, 2008
i havent watched this in a long time but i just thought of it and i remember the movie very well and i loved it
farrahforfilm
March 21, 2008
I remember crying at the beginning of the movie but smiling at the end.I love all the emotions of film.This movie was and always will be a classic.Scary too.
deadmanrises
February 3, 2008
Awesome movie based on the short story by Stephen King, which was also a great short story published in the Night Shift collection. IMO, it's a far more effective ghost story then any of this pussy PG-13 shit like The Grudge and The Ring.
December 21, 2007
This was a really weak story, and the ghosts weren't even worth the effort of popcorn. Skip it, people!
elziard
November 14, 2007
in 1998, this would've been darker. in 2004, it's be ridiculously dark. sadly, it comes off light and PG-13 despite the potential for some thrills. good concept, poor acting, too clean.