Somewhere - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Somewhere Reviews

½ March 9, 2016
Everything that's said is never said.
½ March 25, 2016
Such a peculiar masterpiece about finding yourself and existential ennui. I learn something new about myself every time I watch this trip. Call me, Stephen Dorff. I'll dance all nudie like for you on a pole.
February 26, 2016
Sofia Coppola's elegant taste in telling an insightfully realistic day-in-a-life story of the film industry with artistic merits and beneficially warm father-daughter chemistry of Dorff and Fanning's performances is at the rank of her other masterpiece "Lost in Translation", but slightly less. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ June 18, 2014
Elle Fanning is excellent but she can Not save this movie with no story and a bad script.
April 8, 2012
My least favorite Sofia Coppola film, but it still contains her trademark hypnotic filmmaking magic. Fanning is remarkable.
½ January 12, 2016
A beautiful film about the emptiness of modern life. It's very simple and not too original in its focus on celebrity life, but the direction and feel of the film are unique. Every image, every carefully composed shot has meaning and creates an existential tone poem. The late great Harris Savides, one of the best cinematographers ever, was at the top of his game here. So was Sofia Coppola. And I've never seen a better performance by Stephen Dorff. If you love Antonioni's work or Chantal Akerman's "Jeanne Dielman", which was a huge influence on this film, you might like this, too.
December 13, 2015
Cool Guy. Never got stressed but also not able to tell daughter he loves her
½ December 8, 2015
An interesting and intimate look at a father-daughter relationship as well at the celebrity lifestyle. The film doesn't have to take us anywhere to get us somewhere.
½ December 6, 2015
½ September 12, 2010
A film about a movie star who fills his time by entertaining aesthetically pleasing but intellectually challenged females. A visit from his 11 year old daughter seems to put his life into persepective. Quite a slow, sometimes mildly amusing film which didn't really do anything for me but is probably loved in Hollywood.
November 7, 2015
am vazut primele 30 min
½ December 22, 2010
Sofia Coppola is such a sensitive and talented director, and she seems to know well what she is talking about here, taking an interesting look at the meaningless life of an actor among empty pastimes and ephemeral pleasures. A delicate film that observes and shows a lot more than it says.
½ December 21, 2010
Some nice visuals and seems to be semi-autobiographical, but off putting and emotionally distant. Given that this is a character piece, I should want to spend time with the characters. I don't.
September 24, 2015
This will be one of those movies that I won't be able to remember its name in a few months or really that I ever watched it. Dorff and the little girl from "Super 8" both play their roles perfectly and I can imagine this is a lot of what celebrity is all about...Ferraris, hot sluts getting naked all the time throwing themselves at you, and traveling the world. It's a pretty good movie but not one you'd really watch more than once.
May 28, 2015
Sofia Coppola's soporific movies obviously aren't for everyone, but you should give them a chance. You're missing out. Like Lost in Translation, Somewhere is a deeply moving tale of a lost Hollywood actor and the joy his daughter brings to him. The meaning is in the scene. Watch how Stephen Dorff's character gazes at his daughter ice skating. Notice the subtle difference in his expression.
½ May 4, 2015
It took me near to three and a half hours to finish it. The movie very slowly approached it's plot, which very much like the ending, was extremely unclear. However, I did very much enjoy the characters, no matter how cliche they were. If anything, the relationship between father and daughter is what saved the whole film. It made me desperately wonder what life with a father would be like. But enough about me. Still so, I am left with far too many questions and no answers what so ever except just how shitty staying at the Chateau Marmont actually is.
½ February 12, 2015
'Somewhere' is an odd film. While it no doubt has some underlying themes that are similar to some of Coppola's previous work, it thankfully has enough to stand on its own. It's quite bold too, no dialogue is spoken for around a 1/7 of it and very little happens, it's all the well written character interactions that make it what it is but I would have liked some more. It's odd but it seems like the synopsis on most websites for what this film is about doesn't even happen until 40 minutes in, which surprised me, I understand you're supposed to have build up but it got a little much at some points and even when the synopsis does happen, it isn't for very long. I don't have problem with it though, I've seen films that haven't had their main plot kick in until an hour in and I like that approach, it's unique.

While we don't always need to relate to enjoy a film, it's naturally hard to feel sorry for an actor and his situation because people can't directly relate but whereas 'Lost in Translation' absolutely nailed that predicament, this film never got as close. I was never bored watching the film though and it went by very quickly, it's just that I felt distant and wished it had more of this excellent relationship. The relationship between father and daughter, when it happens, is excellently written and very natural, the actors actually spent some time together before filming and it seems to echo home for Coppola herself, in a way. The acting in the film is great, Stephen Dorff gives an excellent performance as does Elle Fanning. Dorff really threw himself in the role and fit well in it and he actually stayed at the Chateau Marmont, I later read that his role was actually written for him! And he also reminded me of Ben Affleck at parts. As previously stated, they work excellently with each other; there are other actors, that all do great jobs, especially Pontius as he was a lot of fun but this is their show. I even noticed Benicio del Toro in a very surprising and weird cameo, I was thinking, 'is that... Oh it is!', I could tell by his face who it was but it was still a weird little moment, I don't think I even paid attention to what was going on in that little scene, I was just so surprised! See if you can find him when you watch it! Sometimes though, just slightly, it did seem a bit forced just to show how disconnected he was. Really? He asked her why she wasn't at school and he didn't know it was a Sunday, or that he didn't know she had been doing ice skating for three years? Speaking of that scene, he kept looking at his phone and again, it felt forced.

The cinematography is gorgeous and has an interesting opening shot and the whole film has a trancelike quality, which is certainly a positive as it fits in with one of its themes and I found myself not being able to look away, regardless of whether I felt emotionally distant or not. It has a great soundtrack, a familiar sounding one to one of Coppola's previous films- that was the one I referenced at the start of this review. However, I do think that sometimes a shot was focused on too long and while for some of them it was the point, others it felt like it wasn't but funnily enough as soon as I thought about them being long; they stopped. The final shot of the film, while nice, felt like it was betraying everything that came before it and felt too clean for something like this, however, I felt like I could relate to that direct moment because of how I'm reviewing films again and I feel like I've watched the film at a really good time, but don't worry, I won't let that affect my score. I do love how subtle the film is though and it does portray its themes very well and it has some moments of absolute beauty, the scene by the pool is one of my favourites and it made me smile, the song playing in that scene is excellent too.

Overall, I liked it, it's confidently directed by Coppola and features a pair of excellent performances and it's a nice, little and different kind of story but I just wish it had more of the last half in the first and had more of an emotional impact but maybe that's my problem and it's on me? You know those films that people say aren't for everyone? Well, this is certainly one of them.
March 17, 2011
I thought the first half hour of this movie was so boring. Just endless shots that could be wrapped up in seconds. We get the point, he's a miserable and lonley man! But when the daughter came into the picture that is when things got good. But still I wanted more. I just think Sofia Coppola should think of new ideas rather than recycling the same story but in a different setting.
January 8, 2015
Watchable but annoying
December 10, 2014
I love Lost in Translation, so I don't mind a character-driven story and a relaxed pace, but this film lacks the nuance, the sharpness of script and the performances of the former Coppola film. I was bored really.