—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Somewhere in Time Reviews

Spencer S

October 2, 2010
Okay, I can relate to women of 1980 who were looking for something romantic to cling to. Still, I cannot be remiss if I didn't also ask them why the hell they herald this as a classic. The plot is so diluted of any type of reality or at least common sense, it just ruins the movie. The chemistry between Seymour and Reeve is a crowd pleaser, but you can't stick two people together with little romantic license and pretend it's just love at first sight, especially not with such an involved subplot. Personally, this just tired me. I do give kudos to Christopher Reeve, who showed us he is a decent actor even among such a shitty plot and premise.
Jay H

February 11, 2011
I expected to enjoy this film quite a bit. Along with "When Harry Met Sally," which I highly enjoyed, this ranks up with my dad's favorite movies. My expectations ran right into a solid, hard brick wall. John Barry's fine score is the only shining point in this remarkably bad film. Christopher Reeve can't play a believable courter to save his life, the screenplay muddles everything from romance to time travel, and the result is an absurd film that takes itself far too seriously. As the film progressed, I was nearing the point of physically injuring myself. Seriously. This is about as perfect an example as there is of bad, bad filmmaking.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An interesting time travel story, a bit far fetched, but interesting. Reeves is good in this movie, and it's pretty romantic too, so I enjoyed it.
thefog1331
thefog1331

June 6, 2007
One of the very select few romantic dramas that I not only admit to liking but is also one of my favorite (non-horror) films of all time.
Red L

April 23, 2008
Ho hum. Christopher Reeve travels back in time by wishing and knows he will fall in love with Jane Seymour. Too much of a chick flick - and I normally don't mind chick flicks.
Stefanie C

January 18, 2009
an average romance, with its only distinction being time travel.
Apeneck F

January 18, 2009
sophomoric, overly sentimental, stilted and don't think too hard about the details (like she gives him a watch that he later gives her that she later gives him...where does the watch originally come from?). chris reeve is simply a big boy scout w/o the superman suit and jane seymour is the kate winslet of her day (which is a good thing!). perfect for teen dreamers.

yet this one gets me everytime!
Lady D

June 29, 2007
A truly beautiful film, a great tale of time travel, love and devotion. The beautiful Jane Seymour, somehow looks at home in the period costumes.

An old film, but a good film, there was no disappointment watching this film many years after the first time, I enjoyed every moment of it - No I'm not softening, it's still a tragic romance!
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 20, 2007
hoky and beyond belief but wildly romantic with a beautiful score and jane seymour is exquisite.
Jason S

March 13, 2007
This is one of my favorite movies. The acting is great and the story is compelling. It has a time travel element to it that made me watch it for the first time and I thought it was a very original way to pull of that aspect. The rest is a love story that is very sweet. I recommend this one to everyone with the warning to the guys that this is a chick flick.
garyX
garyX

February 23, 2007
Slightly bizarre time travel related Mills & Boonery that's a million miles away from Reeves better known screen persona as the man of steel. A nice sense of period and efficiently handled luuuurve story with a sensitive performance by Supes. Strictly for the ladies though...
nuheart
nuheart

January 1, 2007
Love this one, paradox of the pocket watch not withstanding.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

June 19, 2012
Well, it looks as though Superman is traveling back in time for the sake of love yet again, and he doesn't even have to something as stupid as fly around the Earth to do it. That resolving scene was actually was kind of cool to a certain degree, but if you aren't sold on the fact that Hollywood will pull any kind of dumb, gratingly impossible deus ex machina move to crowbar in a happy ending then, well, you might very well be right, because that bit in "Superman" was so stupid that I think Hollywood has since, or at least should have since deemed the time-traveling flyover their cutoff point. Of course, thinking really, really hard in some old-fashioned hotel room, on the other hand, is a completely logical way to travel back in time. Actually, sarcasm aside, that may very well be correct, because as Stephen King has taught us time (So to speak) and again, if you're a writer who stays in a hotel, or inn, or any other isolated area, something crazy like that is bound to happen, though I wouldn't recommend that you up-and-coming playwrights experiment with that theory, because as King has also taught us, that crazy event won't always have Jane Seymour on the other end of it. Well, it might, but it won't be the young and pretty Jane Seymour who falls in love with you, but rather the creepy looking older one we have now. It would make for the scariest Stephen King story in years. Still, as the story stands, while it may not satisfy the horror audience, it still makes for a pretty good romantic-drama film, though not at all a spotless one.

The film has its quieter and steadier moments that may not dull it down too often, yet slow still slow it down in momentum quite a bit on more than a few occasions, or at least what momentum there is. The film's development segment is quite overlong, with repetition and padding forcing in more and more, well, time on the clock before we even go back in time. Once we get there, things aren't much better, with much padding and slowness really leaving the film to limp quite a bit on more than a few occasions, taking quite a while to really pick up. Still, what is just about as consistent and detrimental within the film is the simple fact that it is just so melodramatic, whether it be Chris Reeve's Richard Collier character's initial obsession with traveling through time just for some girl he had never heard of until recently, or just the romance between Collier and Jane Seymour's Elise McKenna character, in general, or, worst of all, that way too hard to buy resolution, ultimately somewhat touching in its final shot though, it may be. The film isn't close to the biggest ear of corn you can pluck from the romance film fields, yet it does get to be a bit hard to comfortably flow into, if not just plain cheesy, to an extent. It's hard to pull a film of this concept to a high point, let alone past fairness, yet it does still stands to be better than this. However, as it stands, the film is still one to watch - nay - simply enjoy, because for ever mistake made, it pulls the right moves to really keep you with it, or at least hold your eyes' attention.

The production designs are eye-catchingly dashing, with an elaborate slickness that captures the prestige of the classy cultures within the 1910s. Another aspect that keeps you sticking with the film, and enjoyably at that, is simply its innocent charm. Sure, this film may be a touch too innocent for its own good, not having enough oomph for it to raise past average, yet it is ultimately good-spirited and well-intentioned, thus creating winning charm, augmented by some generally sharp and entertaining humor, thankfully just about none of which rely on a dreaded fish-out-of-water theme that I can't stand and feared this film boasting. What further enhances the charm are the performances, none of which are dramatically impressive, yet all of which are thoroughly charming, especially that of Christopher Reeve, who may not have been doing much more than playing Clark Kent, yet he still knew his way around that kind of charmingly good-natured role that helps in establishing some pretty undeniably fine chemistry between him and Jane Seymour. Yes, indeed, even with all of the damaging melodrama, the romance between the Richard Collier and Elise McKenna characters remains compelling, made so not just by the charismatic performers leading the way, but the man who helps in composing the path. Jeannot Szwarc's direction is anything but perfect, yet it is ultimately engaging, whether it be through the aforementioned charm or simply his ability to generally trasncend the sting of the melodrama. Granted, Szwarc is all but entirely blame for the melodrama being present in the first place, yet he manages to work around his mistakes just enough, decidedly not to where this film stands as genuinely impacting, yet still enough the romance, charm and overall experience of watching the final product to ultimately win you over, more than lose you.

Bottom line, the film is lacking on overall oomph, thus creating an underwhelmingness that goes augmented by slow spots and overdrawn segments that all simply lead to melodrama, yet through dashing production designs that liven up the world, just as much as the decent humor and colorful cast - headed by the charismatic and sparking duo of Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour - that enhance the overall winning charm that ultimately leaves "Somewhere in Time" to stand as a consistently enjoyable journey, rather improvable though, it may be.

2.5/5 - Fair
Dannielle A

September 24, 2007
I'm supposed to believe they fell in love after one kiss? You've got to be kidding me.
merlynsprankling
merlynsprankling

February 9, 2008
Somewhere in Time is a film likened to a classic Gone with the Wind style--one of a few films which prevents them from ever becoming dated.

I was merely a teen when I watched this film. Yet, it is still witin me. When someone left you words of endearment like "Come back to me" and a beautiful pocket-watch, wouldn't you be mystified?

Richard ( the late Christopher Reeve) is a neophyte playwright attending his first ever premier when a mysterious old woman enters into the scene whilst fans are congratulating him on the success of his play. The woman places her hands on Richard saying: "Come back to me" then disappears. Baffled, Richard discoveres that she left something behind him to hold onto his hands--a beautiful turn-of-the century- pocket-watch.

Believing that this woman has something do to with his life, he decides to investigates and finds her name as "Elise" (Jane Seymour), a famous actress at her time in 1912.

Soon Richard wakes up from exhaustive dreams and sees her Jane Seymour standing with a look of 'deja vu'.

Just watched this film again last night, and I'm still captivaed and maybe this time with a bit of surrealism in me. The film is more of a capsule-of-the-moment on how timeless and rare true love can be and how quickly it can be taken from us.

Twenty years later, it is now a legend because there's really nothing else you can compare to it. Oh, if you have seen Kate and Leopold or Titanic, you'll possibly be more objective when giving a rating to this movie. Somehow this one stays with you...and somewhere...time is just there waiting for us.
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 23, 2006
This film weaves such a spell around you, you forget everything else. Dreamlike, heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time, Jane Seymour has never looked more beautiful, Christopher Reeve shows he's more than just Superman, the period setting is glorious and the set design. costumes and props are beautiful. Christopher Plummer got short shrift though.
Richard F

January 3, 2009
"Somewhere" stands the test of time. Despite bad decisions regarding the release of this movie, all the right ones were made when filming. Szwarc takes an average book, a small budget, and a bit of luck and creates sheer poetry.
Lee K

February 20, 2008
shortly after chris reeve died i was introduced to this movie and it was surprisingly very good
FanadFilmsProduction
FanadFilmsProduction

April 21, 2007
This is my favorite Christopher Reeve film. It makes me a bit misty every time I see it. One of the most romantic movies of all times.
July 7, 2013
Sweet little movie, but not really sure if there was a point somewhere that I missed. Very slow paced, but at least there was lots of awesome clothing to help make up for that. Having gone to Wikipedia in search of the point I thought surely must've gone over my head, it appears that the book had a lot more going on and that the movie would've benefited from sticking with the plot.