—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Sommersby Reviews

Anthony L

March 29, 2010
Unfortunately the whole 'Is he/Isn't he' plot soon gets a little tiring but this is still quite a nice film with some good performances from Gere, Foster and R. Lee Ermey as the unfortunately named Dick Mead. I didn't realise it was a remake, so I'm quite intrigued to see The Return of Martin Guerre.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

January 14, 2010
She knew his face. His touch. His voice. She knew everything about him... But the truth.
Lady D

March 25, 2007
Based on the story "The Return of Martin Guerre" this is a beautifully and inticately woven tale that tests the strength of love and pride. A story with powerful emotions and a dilema which is a tragedy of it's time.

Richard Gere who is often criticised as an Actor gave no reason for criticism here and another good performance from Jodie Foster.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Great chemistry between Richard and Jodie. Still not sure if he was or was not her husband! Must watch it again!
Jennifer X

May 30, 2007
kind of tale of two cities-esque with good story and solid acting.
garyX
garyX

January 7, 2007
Rather contrived romance saved from schmaltz soaked mediocrity by a winning performance by Gere and some nicely photographed period detail.
deano
deano

November 8, 2006
Jodie Foster and Richard Gere are both superb in this fascinating period love story.
Ina S

August 19, 2008
Ok, this is horribly cheesy, right? I shouldn't like it, I hate melodrama. But somehow this movie gets me EVERY single time - I cry my eyes out and even forget briefly that I wouldn't normally watch anything with Richard Gere in the leading role. It's a miracle. Somewhere in the performances and the story something must hit home with me, inexplicably. I feel ashamed now.
Christopher B

March 28, 2008
And here's the kind of movie people suffer through when they're dating. I barely remember anything about this film but the boredom.
iLeo

May 15, 2007
Okay remake.
jjb3332003
July 31, 2007
Despite being corny at times, any movie using honor as a key element is a good thing. James Earl Jones is awesome here. I still need to see the original - The Return of Martin Guerre.
May 12, 2008
Such a beautiful movie with Richard Gere and Jodie Foster acting like husband and wife.She thinks her husband died in the Civil War but soon after time passes it turns out hes not dead.The time hes been away things have changed with time.Catch the movie to find out what happens.Real good story.
Goldfish81
February 26, 2008
Richard Gere and Jodie Foster have great chemistry. A very bittersweet sad love story. The courtroom scene towards the end could never be duplicated in it's brilliance.
September 21, 2007
Stunning acting by Foster and Gere were spectacular in this emotionally draining drama. Gere returns after missing for 6 years during the Civil War. The question of the film is Gere really Sommersby, the husband or Foster, as he claims? But while the question hangs in the air he brings the town together, black and white, and pulls the town out of the economic downward spiral that would destroy what was left after the war. Spectacular love story. Keep tissues nearby!
aleigh75
May 18, 2007
All I really remember about this movie is that the ending really, really made me mad at the time. I just don't happen to remember why.
May 15, 2007
A reamke of "The Return Of Martin Guerre", it gets the message acroos, however Gerard Depardeu does a much better job on the original french version. It's close enough for cigars! Enjoy
April 11, 2007
I do not understand why this movie has such a low rating. The story is unique and heartwrenching. The whole time you are guessing, is he? Isn't he? And towards the end, you are spun up like Laurel (Jodie Foster) with your emotions and what you want to believe. Although I did not cry, it is one that stirs emotions not often wrought by modern day cinema.
SolsticeGuy
March 29, 2007
Actually, a lot better than I thought it would be. An intelligent Civil War era piece that would fit well on a double feature bill with Cold Mountain. A must see!