Sommersby Reviews

ScoopOnline
January 14, 2010
She knew his face. His touch. His voice. She knew everything about him... But the truth.
½ March 25, 2007
Based on the story "The Return of Martin Guerre" this is a beautifully and inticately woven tale that tests the strength of love and pride. A story with powerful emotions and a dilema which is a tragedy of it's time.

Richard Gere who is often criticised as an Actor gave no reason for criticism here and another good performance from Jodie Foster.
thmtsang
½ July 14, 2007
Great chemistry between Richard and Jodie. Still not sure if he was or was not her husband! Must watch it again!
½ May 30, 2007
kind of tale of two cities-esque with good story and solid acting.
garyX
½ January 7, 2007
Rather contrived romance saved from schmaltz soaked mediocrity by a winning performance by Gere and some nicely photographed period detail.
deano
November 8, 2006
Jodie Foster and Richard Gere are both superb in this fascinating period love story.
½ August 19, 2008
Ok, this is horribly cheesy, right? I shouldn't like it, I hate melodrama. But somehow this movie gets me EVERY single time - I cry my eyes out and even forget briefly that I wouldn't normally watch anything with Richard Gere in the leading role. It's a miracle. Somewhere in the performances and the story something must hit home with me, inexplicably. I feel ashamed now.
½ March 28, 2008
And here's the kind of movie people suffer through when they're dating. I barely remember anything about this film but the boredom.
iLeo
½ December 26, 2007
A personal favorite.
½ May 15, 2007
Okay remake.
July 31, 2007
Despite being corny at times, any movie using honor as a key element is a good thing. James Earl Jones is awesome here. I still need to see the original - The Return of Martin Guerre.
February 26, 2008
Richard Gere and Jodie Foster have great chemistry. A very bittersweet sad love story. The courtroom scene towards the end could never be duplicated in it's brilliance.
September 21, 2007
Stunning acting by Foster and Gere were spectacular in this emotionally draining drama. Gere returns after missing for 6 years during the Civil War. The question of the film is Gere really Sommersby, the husband or Foster, as he claims? But while the question hangs in the air he brings the town together, black and white, and pulls the town out of the economic downward spiral that would destroy what was left after the war. Spectacular love story. Keep tissues nearby!
½ May 18, 2007
All I really remember about this movie is that the ending really, really made me mad at the time. I just don't happen to remember why.
½ May 15, 2007
A reamke of "The Return Of Martin Guerre", it gets the message acroos, however Gerard Depardeu does a much better job on the original french version. It's close enough for cigars! Enjoy
April 11, 2007
I do not understand why this movie has such a low rating. The story is unique and heartwrenching. The whole time you are guessing, is he? Isn't he? And towards the end, you are spun up like Laurel (Jodie Foster) with your emotions and what you want to believe. Although I did not cry, it is one that stirs emotions not often wrought by modern day cinema.
March 29, 2007
Actually, a lot better than I thought it would be. An intelligent Civil War era piece that would fit well on a double feature bill with Cold Mountain. A must see!
½ March 26, 2007
The chemistry between Foster and Gere was nothing special, it was acceptable but there are no real sparks between them. THe backstory behind Sommersby and then man he was is left too much in the dark. And I wonder what Laurel saw in this new Sommersby hen he returns, the love is developed too fast. Also the timeline jumps too much at one point. Really the only point of dramatic note is the ending in which Sommersby callls upon the presence of Laurel. His final moments in meeting his death is played out with such conviction, like a scared little boy seeking his mother whom he knows he'll never see again. Only then can he accept his death.
½ March 16, 2007
I did not like this movie. Even though it had a good premise. Was her really her husband? We will never know. How bizarre that you don't know your own husband or not.