Sommersby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sommersby Reviews

January 8, 2011
Two Confederate prisoners of war trade information while in captivity, and after the war one pretends to be the other, returning to the other's home as an imposter. The wife believed her husband had been killed in the war.
August 19, 2010
An enjoyable film, though at times irritatingly vague in plot line as to become wholly unbelievable. All faults were excused however in the final scenes. I sobbed with gusto.
½ July 29, 2010
Costume drama which looks good, but the story and performances didn't grab me the way they should have. I'd like to watch the original French film 'The Return Of Martin Guerre' before I comment further.
½ March 9, 2007
Every time I watch this one it makes me tear up!
July 24, 2010
Bittersweet sad love story.... Good performances by Richard Gere and Jodie Foster.
July 31, 2007
Despite being corny at times, any movie using honor as a key element is a good thing. James Earl Jones is awesome here. I still need to see the original - The Return of Martin Guerre.
December 28, 2009
jodie foster is one in a million.
July 1, 2010
Everyday the hotel had a new film. And this one was so good i couldn't even remember i'd seen it before.
½ May 11, 2010
I watched the filtered version of this, by the way.
April 19, 2010
My old time favorite...wanna watch it again...
getshort78
November 27, 2007
This Americanized remake of the French classic The Return of Martin Guerre (1982) transports the story's setting from the 16th century Gallic countryside to 19th century Tennessee at the conclusion of the U.S. Civil War. Richard Gere stars as Jack Sommersby, a wealthy landowner who returns to his small cotton farming town of Vine Hill three years after the Civil War's end. The defeated Confederate soldier is ready to resume his past life with his young wife Laurel (Jodie Foster). Thinking her husband long dead, however, Laurel has become engaged to Orin Meecham (Bill Pullman), an arrangement she quickly calls off, enraging and embittering Orin. Soon it becomes evident that his experiences have changed Jack thoroughly. A callous and cruel man widely feared before the war, he is now charming and sensitive, offering financial opportunities to an ex-slave and caring for Laurel and his young son. Jack even persuades the town's citizenry that he can rescue their fortunes by pooling resources and switching Vine Hill's chief crop from cotton to tobacco. Jack's scheme works, but Orin becomes increasingly convinced that Jack is in fact an impostor masquerading as the wealthy Sommersby, a suspicion that the smitten and quickly pregnant Laurel secretly shares. When Jack is arrested and charged with a murder he drunkenly committed years before, the court trial leads to some startling revelations about the past.
April 4, 2010
I love this movie! So sad...made me cried so much! Beautiful music!
March 29, 2010
Unfortunately the whole 'Is he/Isn't he' plot soon gets a little tiring but this is still quite a nice film with some good performances from Gere, Foster and R. Lee Ermey as the unfortunately named Dick Mead. I didn't realise it was a remake, so I'm quite intrigued to see The Return of Martin Guerre.
½ March 19, 2010
True story or not, unvividly underdramatized it is.
March 8, 2010
No chemisistry between the leading actors
March 7, 2010
An interesting film. I loved the idea that a stranger can redeem the live of another man.
January 17, 2010
Laurel Sommersby is just managing to work the farm without her husband Jack.. Whome she thinks has died in the war ...
When he return's As A Soft Loving determined Husband She Feels the war May have softend her once abusive Mean harted husband .. Only to find out he may have Murderd A Man ..
Her true Husband Who looks like him ?? Who Is The Real JACK SOMMERSBY And Is this man a murdererrr?? Good plot twist .. Great story line This Country type show dose not dissapoint..
½ January 16, 2009
Pretty good movie. Kind of takes the twist from A Tale of Two Cities and makes a complete story out of it, setting it in the Reconstruction-era South.
ScoopOnline
January 14, 2010
She knew his face. His touch. His voice. She knew everything about him... But the truth.
January 9, 2010
well weird and you never really find out what you wanted to know. romantic though!