Sommersby Reviews

getshort78
November 27, 2007
This Americanized remake of the French classic The Return of Martin Guerre (1982) transports the story's setting from the 16th century Gallic countryside to 19th century Tennessee at the conclusion of the U.S. Civil War. Richard Gere stars as Jack Sommersby, a wealthy landowner who returns to his small cotton farming town of Vine Hill three years after the Civil War's end. The defeated Confederate soldier is ready to resume his past life with his young wife Laurel (Jodie Foster). Thinking her husband long dead, however, Laurel has become engaged to Orin Meecham (Bill Pullman), an arrangement she quickly calls off, enraging and embittering Orin. Soon it becomes evident that his experiences have changed Jack thoroughly. A callous and cruel man widely feared before the war, he is now charming and sensitive, offering financial opportunities to an ex-slave and caring for Laurel and his young son. Jack even persuades the town's citizenry that he can rescue their fortunes by pooling resources and switching Vine Hill's chief crop from cotton to tobacco. Jack's scheme works, but Orin becomes increasingly convinced that Jack is in fact an impostor masquerading as the wealthy Sommersby, a suspicion that the smitten and quickly pregnant Laurel secretly shares. When Jack is arrested and charged with a murder he drunkenly committed years before, the court trial leads to some startling revelations about the past.
March 29, 2010
Unfortunately the whole 'Is he/Isn't he' plot soon gets a little tiring but this is still quite a nice film with some good performances from Gere, Foster and R. Lee Ermey as the unfortunately named Dick Mead. I didn't realise it was a remake, so I'm quite intrigued to see The Return of Martin Guerre.
January 17, 2010
Laurel Sommersby is just managing to work the farm without her husband Jack.. Whome she thinks has died in the war ...
When he return's As A Soft Loving determined Husband She Feels the war May have softend her once abusive Mean harted husband .. Only to find out he may have Murderd A Man ..
Her true Husband Who looks like him ?? Who Is The Real JACK SOMMERSBY And Is this man a murdererrr?? Good plot twist .. Great story line This Country type show dose not dissapoint..
ScoopOnline
January 14, 2010
She knew his face. His touch. His voice. She knew everything about him... But the truth.
November 2, 2009
I thought this was a very sweet movie.
October 11, 2009
In the end love is all that matters, a two hanky beautifuly acted by gere and foster, one interesting twist after the other . . .
September 28, 2009
An awesome love story.
September 28, 2009
** (out of four)

This is one of those films where if you buy the unbelievable set-up of the film, you may enjoy it. But, to me the plot of this movie is so far-fetched that it ruins the nice production value.

Jodie Foster is woman whose husband (Richard Gere) is killed in the Civil War. He returns, looking different, two years later. She is not sure if it is him.
September 26, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that bill pullman, james earl jones, jodie foster, richard gere, william windom play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this love/drama/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that theres good chemistry between jodie foster n richard gere throughout this movie...i think that this is a good movie 2 watch its got a good cast throghout n its a good movie 2 watch
February 23, 2007
Very boring movie of a good story. Could possibly be a great book.
August 26, 2009
A lovely movie, is he or isn't he her husband. Either way it's catch 22 and with people plotting his demise he has no chance, great performances all round.
½ July 12, 2009
HE IS A ROMANTIC HERE IN THIS MOVIE.
April 2, 2009
I don't know why this is such an underrated movie with actors of the quality of Jodie Foster and Richard Gere. Some of their scenes together are exceptional.
March 26, 2009
Love this film, always cry at da end tho
½ March 22, 2009
Who wouldn't be lost in his charms....
July 31, 2008
Jodie Foster just amazing , very nice movie i like it so much.
January 25, 2009
A fantastic story that keeps you at the same level of understanding as the characters.. Is this Jack Sommersby? or an intruder?. It's really well written & man, I really enjoyed it..
Richard and Jodie do a excellent job playing out their parts. It even brought out a tear in me by the end of it.
:D I didn't expect it to be so good.
½ January 23, 2009
Stellar performace's by both Gere & Foster. Touching & sensitive. Shows accountablility for past mistakes but getting a second chance in life also.
December 24, 2008
If I hadn't already read the summary of the movie before I saw it I think it would've confused me a little.
It started really boring and tiresome and ended incredibly sad.
The list of cast they've put up for this movie is terrific so I think the director could've managed to make this movie so much better than what it actually turned out to be.