Song for a Raggy Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Song for a Raggy Boy Reviews

July 21, 2014
I just got done watching this and I LOVED IT although it is a very heart pulling movie, I have to say I did sob.
½ May 23, 2014
Song for a Raggy Boy is another touching, moving and inspiring story about a teacher who makes a breaktrough with heartbreaking and emotional drama.
October 5, 2013
Liam Mercer is not the only boys body buried at St Judas where did they bury John McCarthy...
November 3, 2012
Hard to watch with the violence towards kids and all, but still the "happy ending" made it worth watching...
½ July 18, 2011
Seeing Catholic preachers abusing delinquent boys is heart-wrenching but the fact that there is a teacher who loves the boys and teaching makes watching the film twice as painful when you're a failing teacher yourself.
½ November 23, 2010
I love true stories and this was no exception, however the only downside is that I found it really sad and don't think I could bring myself to watch it again...
May 31, 2010
this film is not really known outside of ireland but it should be it is truly a great film and the performance from ian glen and aiden quinn are outstanding.

after fighting in the spanish cival war william franklyn turnes to teaching at St. Judes Reformatory School a ruthless place run by vicious priests. in the playground there is a wall in the middle of the yard to seperate the older boys from the younger boys. one day while being lined up at the end of play time one of the boys patric delaney burps he is lashed across the face with the priests belt franklyn is horrified by the priests behaviour and inter viens only to the dismay of head priest john . delaney attractes the aattention of a peadophile priest who rapes the boy in the toilets but when he tells the bishop he is told to keep quite. another boy liam mercer is one of the more vocal students inn the school therefor he attracts regular beatings from the priests. mercer forms a special relationship with franklyn teaching him how to read write and turnes him into a poet.

one of the more brutal scenes comes when 2 brothers from different sides of the wall sneak into the yard at christmas to exchange gifts this is witnessed by brother john he brings all the boys to watch what will happen if you touch the wall he kneels the 2 boys down shaves their heads and whips the boys mercer tells one of the other boys to go and get franklyn. when franklyn sees what is happening he attacks brother john.

i cannot describe how many emotions will come over you when you see this film. ian glen (brother john) and aiden quinn ( william franklyn) give great performances in a film that highlights the ongoing abuse the irish catholic church and churches worldwide.
February 23, 2010
Absolutely brilliant film!!
October 13, 2009
Based on a true story this is not for the faint of heart. Strong, powerful and emotional tale which will undoubtedly make you wince and squirm in your armchair. If you can take it, it is well recommended. If you have already watched the Magdalene Sisters this is a similar tale but this time involving young boys.
½ April 13, 2004
Just adding a rating for this movie. Catch it if you can, leave your cloak of cynicism behind, and enjoy's tough to, mind.