44% The Other Woman Apr 25

97% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Song of the South Reviews

March 31, 2014
One of my favorite Disney films. Emotional, touching, brilliant, memorable characters and music. Racism and slavery exist and always will be a part of our history. Putting down one film for portraying a piece of history will not erase it from the books. Uncle Remus was beloved and honored and important to these characters, not hated and belittled. Get it together, America.
June 9, 2013
This film has been criticized as being racist, but I'm not so sure about that. It showed harmony between whites and blacks during Reconstruction (even though it may be historically inaccurate). Plus, Uncle Remus is just such a lovable character!
August 23, 2013
It plays with stereotypes, but it's not (intentionally) racist. It's a product of its time (which is a dark time in our nation's history). It's also, however, not very good. The animated bits are pretty good, but the live-action bits are, altogether, boring.
February 26, 2014
James Baskett is fucking fantastic as Uncle Remus, Oscar well-deserved. The animation with Brer Rabbit, Fox, and Bear is great. BUT the white people are so damn boring! It is kind of an ok movie I love it though
January 22, 2014
Interesting! I had been looking to see this movie for years! Riding the famous Splash Mountain ride in Disneyland i would always wonder what the ride was based on. This controversial film has some very dated moments involving the black workers and the way they are shown in the film. It can be seen as racist, but it actually has a pretty good moral story to it all at the end of the film. The mixture of animation and life action was super well done especially for its time. I enjoyed finally learning about the tale of Brear Rabbit, but I know this won't be for everyone!
January 21, 2014
it didn't strike me as that controversial, but what do I know.
June 6, 2007
I only saw parts of it on youtube before the Disney Nazis had it taken off. I don't care if people think its racist, its still a part of our history. I wouldn't ban "Birth of a Nation," or "Triumph of the Will." And why? Because trying to erase something from history, , just because some people find it offensive, is dangerous
February 14, 2010
An imaginative Disney classic that will help you find your laughing place. (First viewing - Sometime in 2010)
Thomas P.
December 27, 2013
I don't understand why Disney is hiding this remarkable piece of film history. The animation is great and it has a good story.
December 13, 2013
I honestly didn't find anything wrong with this film (well, maybe the Tar Baby me a little uncomfortable). On the one hand, it's got some great songs, hilarious cartoons, and a great lead Uncle Remus, but it's kind of boring when we get to the family. So, I'm kind of torn.
December 4, 2013
Not only is it totally boring, but Song Of the South is so Racially insensitive, it's no wonder that it's been almost completely forgotten over 60 years.
BatMime
October 24, 2013
There is nothing wrong with enjoying this film, regardless of what the PC Police have to say about. Sure, we've made leaps and bounds in race relations since this film was made, but to call it hateful or mean-spirited is more or less on account of bring one's own baggage into what I consider a fine family film. Sure, it's not accurate to what race relations were like during the post-Civil War South, not even close. But, as a piece of escapism, it does the job spectacularly. It can be viewed as a fantasy, what we would hope race relationships would be like between blacks and whites during that time in history. Everybody smiles and life is more like a contemporary suburb where color is a non-factor. I can understand why some would hate that. I can see how someone would see this film as making light of a horrible time in history, but I can also see how Disney's intention was never to be cruel or mean-spirited with his work here.
August 30, 2013
This movie has a good message and great music. too bad the presentation is utterly racist. Splash Mountain recreates the good parts well with more taste.
ponch789gmailcom
August 11, 2013
This is a classic! I admire the story teller Uncle Remus and the hardships the people of the period endured.
Anyone that is not proud of their heretage deplicted in this film should be ashamed for they endured much for their Children today!. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!
June 30, 2013
Song of the South (1946) -- [4.0] -- For its racist stereotypes and sugar-coated depiction of plantation life in the post-Civil War South, Disney has locked away "Song of the South" from the public since its last re-release in 1986. I don't think the film is any more offensive than countless others made before desegregation ("Gone with the Wind" among them). In fact, putting its social infractions in historical context is probably the most interesting thing to do with "Song of the South." If you're going to lock the movie away, lock it away for mediocrity. The live-action segments of the film are cheesy and melodramatic (think "Brady Bunch") and the annoying animated sequences lack the character or charm of so many other Disney efforts. On the bright side, I've always enjoyed the Oscar-winning song "Zip-a-dee Doo Dah," but its visual accompaniment is somewhat underwhelming. Doe-eyed, baby-faced star Bobby Driscoll became a Disney regular for a while. He starred as Jim Hawkins in Disney's "Treasure Island," and in 1953 he provided the voice and live-action reference for "Peter Pan." In the mid-60s, however, he fell into drugs and obscurity. His body was found by two children in an abandoned New York tenement and he was buried in an unmarked grave.
October 16, 2012
The Cartoon segments are charming, and it is impossible to hate James Baskett's performance.
This movie is banned from the US, and by looking at the main story, it's apparently gives off the stereotype that Black People are boring. XD
But seriously kidding aside the live action segments are as exciting as Tar.
June 5, 2013
Fantastic, charming, beautiful, masterfully done... what more can I say? This forgotten Disney classic has been wrongfully accused of being racist and unfairly shunned.
May 30, 2013
I didn't find this to be as racist is others do, but aside from the animated scenes, it just wasn't that great.
April 22, 2013
Even for those who don't enjoy the live action segments and are not intersted in the story, the Brer Rabbit segments are sure to impress. A prime example of Disney animation at its best.
January 4, 2013
Extremely entertaining when ever James Baskett is acting, singing, or playing a cartoon character, but the moment he's not around the movie slips in to utter and unbearable boredom. The movie is only saved by Baskett's incredible acting ability. It's a pity he didn't live long enough to do a few more projects.