Movies Like Sound of My Voice

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Sound of My Voice Reviews

October 5, 2012
A very interesting film about a girl starting a secret cult. The narrative keeps you intrigued but the climax leaves lot of questions unanswered.
March 31, 2013
Though they've made only two films together, Zal Batmanglij and Brit Marling are a filmmaking pair that compliment each other like Yin and Yang - Batmanglij and Marling write the script together, but she stars, and he directs. Batmanglij can make even the barest of sets come alive, while Marling can draw you in with her ethereal beauty and earthy tone-of-voice. They're a match made in heaven, and it's becoming quite clear that in just a few years, they won't just be indie darlings anymore.
"Sound of My Voice", their debut, isn't quite as strong as last year's intense "The East", but it's accomplished filmmaking that boasts confidence that is rarely seen by rookie filmmakers.
The film focuses on Peter (Christopher Denham) and Lorna (Nicole Vicius), a young couple that aspires to make a documentary about a mysterious cult that is lead by the shadowy but magnetic Maggie (Marling). When they join, in hopes to get footage and eventually infiltrate the group, they begin to let themselves go into Maggie's twisted logistics.
In Maggie's introductory scene, we are drawn to her in the same way her followers are. Draped in a white sheet, hooked up to an oxygen tank, and claiming she is from the future (2054, to be exact), she easily could be too eccentric to take seriously - but she demands our complete attention, and it's nearly impossible to look the other way.
She makes strange demands (in one scene, she tells the members to eat an apple. Seconds later, she tells them to purge its remnants, as it is full of "logic, bitterness."), but with every odd move she takes, we can't help but want to trail in her footsteps. Maggie is so entrancing that there were plenty of moments where I wondered if this could be one of those movies where - surprise! - she actually is from the future!
It's easy to be tricked, because Marling is thoroughly convincing in her role. There are many scenes where she is forced to hypnotize an entire room simply with her aura, and she is so successful in this that there are times in which we can't help but wonder if her performance makes the film better than it actually is.
The budget is obviously low, but the story is strong enough to draw our focus elsewhere. Their is a constant uneasiness at every turn - Peter reminds us repeatedly that it's impossible to truly know what this cult is truly capable of - and when Maggie demands that her followers kidnap a young girl who she tells them is "her mother", the possibilities in our mind are endless. Will they kill her? Will they use her as a pawn for something deeper? What if she actually is her mother?
"Sound of My Voice" is like a game of cat-and-mouse that only exists in our mind. The ending is left somewhat ambiguous, and it's left up to the viewer to process the final scene. Maggie's reasoning behind her shenanigans are never out of the fog, but what the film represents on an even bigger spectrum, however, is that Batmanglij and Marling are going places. And I mean going places.
December 18, 2012
(First and only viewing - 12/18/2012)
April 13, 2012
such a crazy, creepy film - but also really really good. a real mind-fuck kind of movie, but it was a ton of fun to watch and really memorable. just thinking of how difficult the script was to write and execute properly makes the film that much more impressive.
July 22, 2014
The ending made the rest of the movie worth it.
GabrielKnight
July 20, 2014
A gripping and unsettling thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat - quite an achievement by a first-time director with minimal budget. The story is somewhat confusing and plays on the viewer's expectations, with the ending being a cleverly set up trap that leaves you with a bunch of questions and no way to answer them.
July 14, 2014
Amazing film and not something you experience quite often when watching a movie.
February 13, 2014
Another must for science fiction fans with a rich story thats both fascinating while feeling real. The first collaboration between, the very talented Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, Sound of My Voice will have your mind scrambling for answers well into it's climactic ending.
April 24, 2014
You can tell the filmmakers poured their heart and soul into this movie. Great cinematography and good acting. Soundtrack was good too.
April 17, 2014
creepy movie - the ending is a ?
March 31, 2014
To me it was an interesting movie that never ties up the loose ends or tells you what is true or not true. It may be too slow for some, but I found it interesting.
March 4, 2014
This is another riveting masterpiece from Batmanglij and Brit Marling! The integrity of the human spirit is always at center point and often explored in ways only a seasoned visionary could concoct!
February 25, 2014
Acted with a subtle nuances throughout, this film's ambiguous ending will elicit much discussion, while the film's delicately handled politics are refreshingly two-sided.
February 3, 2014
Beautiful and unsettling. There's a delicate balance of providing just enough information to disturb the audience and provoke questions without relying solely on mystery and pseudo-science-fiction. Maggie and Peter are compelling, well-drawn characters, but I wish Lorna felt a bit more substantial (Particularly in regards to her backstory which, one would think, would play a more important function). Brit Marling is an interesting rising talent.
January 6, 2014
Maybe Zal Batmanglij & Brit Marling should have written an ending before even making this movie.
May 8, 2012
This was interesting. What was done really well was the ambiguity of the whole situation. Throughout the course of the movie, you end up questioning whether the cult leader, Maggie (a great performance from Brit Marling) is what she really says she is. Obviously, you go into it thinking that she is a fraud. But as the movie progresses, you start to question things, at the same times the characters do. I enjoyed Christopher Denham and Nicole Vicius as the leads, they both did a really nice job. I didn't quite understand the significance or purpose of the titled numbers. I assumed they were chapters of some sort, but it didn't really add anything. Also, one of the most interesting characters, a little girl named Abigail, isn't expounded upon as much as I would have liked. I admit that this may have been on purpose, but I definitely wanted more. The whole movie is a really interesting and different look at cults and how they affect the people involved. I was engaged the whole time.
January 2, 2014
Il meno riuscito dei film dell'accoppiata Batmanglij/Marling ma tuttavia sempre di spessore superiore alla media dei flim americani in circolazione. La Marling bravissima e il finale una sorpresa.
Joey S

December 30, 2013
The ending is a little too ambiguous to be entirely satisfying, but Sound of My Voice is a suspenseful and entertaining indie thriller that further proves that writer/actress Brit Marling and director Zal Batmanglij are a talented duo.
December 29, 2013
Een subtiele, genuanceerde reflectie over de kracht van geloof die je vertwijfeld achterlaat. Brit Marling staat stilaan (na het even mooie Another earth) op mijn lijstje favoriete actrices van de laatste jaren
December 26, 2013
I really enjoy Brit Marling. I loved her in this, and Another Earth. However, if the director is planning to end the movie with a cliffhanger because he thinks he will be able to fund a sequel... Make sure some sort of plan is in place at least.