71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Source Reviews

July 12, 2014
A pretty lively and entertaining look at how three writers (Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs) and their friends changed the cultural landscape of America from the conservatism of the 1950's to the spiritual revolution of counterculture in the 1960's and changed the way we look at art, politics, war, etc. forever. It is also quite refreshing to have three famous actors reading passages from the works of these men over the footage and interviews with those who participated in the Beat Generation's revolution of culture.
August 14, 2006
hmm, a documentary about beatnicks, what a great idea
December 27, 2012
I really wanna see this!
September 12, 2012
I'll admit that the biggest reason I didn't like this was because I'm not remotely interested in the subject matter. In fact, I only rented it because Johnny Depp was involved. So I'm probably not really in a place to write a negative review, but I can say that if this isn't something you're already interested in, this film will not change your mind.
rebvodka042099
July 28, 2008
This is probably the best documentary ever made on the Beats and their generation. The three main Beats (Kerouac, Ginsberg and Burroughs) were shown with such realism and intensity, and I loved the fictional performances/recites by Depp, Torturro and Hopper.

There is material in this film I had never seen before, but as I'm not a fan of William S. Burroughs, I wish the movie had focused less on him and more on some of the other Beats.

Still - a must-see documentary for the fans of the Beat generation and their cultural impact. It's never tiring, and I found it inspiring and deeply informative.
December 20, 2007
Perhaps the most effective and thorough documentary of the beat generation, focusing mainly on the key figures: Burroughs, Ginsberg, and Kerouac. Shows the extent of their radicalism, as well as their influence to this very day.
SteakAndVodkaNoSides
December 27, 2009
People tend to underestimate Turturros brilliant take on Howl.
July 16, 2009
having an obsession to bat movement and writers, i of course enjoyed this a great deal. recommended for anyone interested in the beats, an interesting documentary with great performances from johnny depp as jack kerouac, dennis hopper as william burroughs and john turturro as allen ginsberg, my favourite beat.
April 18, 2009
How did I miss this?
shesdownbytheriver
shesdownbytheriver

January 3, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
piratefan60
December 21, 2008
The Source is retelling of the lives of three writers, played by three actors. Johnny Depp-Jack Kerouac, Dennis Hopper-Williams Burroughs, and John Turturro-Allen Ginsberg. It is interesting and full of History. Sometimes it is alittle slow, but worth watching.
MovieManiac415
April 22, 2008
Looks boring. I did the same thing with this as L.A. Without A Map. I only watched the Johnny parts. I have the same thing to say here too. I would've skipped the rest anyways. =P
August 1, 2008
As someone who could be considered a descendent of the Beat Generation, (in attitude and spirit) this was a very informative and interesting movie. I learned so much more about the movement and the evolution of it.
5 outta 5, inspiring
butterfly3782012
July 5, 2008
johnny depp is soo hott!
laurj505
May 24, 2008
Johnny reciting poetry is just perfect!
angie225
March 22, 2008
It was boring, I didn't even finish watching it. Just Johnny Depp was interesting to see.
justgemmz
March 9, 2008
dont know what its about but ill give it a try
dreamergirl122
December 12, 2007
Can't say I've heard of this 'un either...
Zenee