South of Heaven, West of Hell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

South of Heaven, West of Hell Reviews

June 25, 2009
A well done western by Dwight Yoakam...Billy Bob Thorton is in it as well... This is definately different characters than in Sling Blade. I enjoyed it.
½ December 31, 2006
i thought i would like this. but there was like no plot! i died of boredom. nobody did anything in the whole movie. nobody ever watch this movie, its so stupid.
½ June 22, 2015
Il y a quelques bonnes idées dans ce western absurde réalisé par Dwight Yoakam. Dommage qu'elles soient noyées dans un océan de dialogues inintéressants, mal écrits et une nuée de pistes totalement oubliées moins de dix minutes après les avoir lancées. C'est bien dommage car avec un film qui culmine à 130 minutes, on s'attendait à beaucoup plus de matière que de longs plans sur la plaine ouest-américaine avec des personnages qui n'ont aucune origine, aucun futur et aucune complexité. Dwight Yoakam ne semble pas avoir les épaules pour tenir le film et c'est plutôt Vince Vaughn ou Luke Askew qui sont très bons. Malheureusement pour le film, ils disparaissent pendant près d'une heure au milieu... Le score est très bon.
½ December 5, 2014
I guess sissy is a little excited that you're here.

Valentine Casey is a lawman in the west somewhere near Tucson, Arizona. His family is a band of ruthless outlaws that do as they please. His family unveil some skeletons in Casey's past that he prefer be kept in the closet. There appears to be only one way for Casey to handle his family, but could he really gun down his own blood?

"We're like brothers."
"Not by blood."

Dwight Yoakam delivers South of Heaven, West of Hell in his directorial debut (and only film on his resume). The storyline for this picture is just okay but contains unique and unpredictable characters. The settings, make-up/costumes, action, and dialogue were all disappointing. The cast was solid in name only as the cast includes Billy Bob Thornton, Vince Vaughn, Peter Fonda, Bo Hopkins, Bridget Fonda, and Michael Jeter.

"You reckon Chinese food is hot? I reckon we'll be eating a lot of that in San Francisco."

I DVR'd this picture when I was looking at Peter Fonda films and noticed this amazing cast (kind of a random group of actors). I had never heard of this film so I gave it a shot; unfortunately, this fell a bit flat. It tried to be unique and original but instead was clumsy and disappointing. Overall, I recommend skipping this picture.

"You damn bunch of inbred bitches."

Grade: D
September 6, 2013
After reading the "Rotten Tomatoes" review by Mark Deming it is plan that Mr. Deming did not pay attention to the timeline of the movie. True, it is not the most action packed movie until the latter part; but is well done considering it is Dwight Yoakum's directional debut. It has a cast that play against any role for which the actors are known. It is also probably more historically accurate as for the true actions of the time set of the story. All in all, I would have to give it a 3 1/2 out of five, mainly for the entertainment factor.
May 10, 2013
Great cast. What happened? The alleged plot is indiscernible, and a lot of talent goes to waste. Vince Vaughn was not good in this. It disturbed me a great deal to watch Pee-Wee Herman try to rape Bridget Fonda. I am happy to say he wasn't very good at it and she foiled him, right before bobbiting another guy who tried to hump her through Pee-Wee. If it sounds weird, it is because it was.
June 16, 2012
Please note the title of the film and think about it! All the characters are actually dead and are exsisting in Purgatory, No one seems to notice that this is the basis of the film...I thought it moving funny sad and extremely clever..the soundtrack was beautiful as the scenery. If youve watched it before please watch it again and you will understand it now Dwights soundtrack is excellent too with 10 songs not on any other cd. 10/10 fom me
January 27, 2012
This movie made me laugh like the best of comedies should. Oh, its a western? I say it is a fine comedy, like watching a high school play at home, it is amazing.
½ July 11, 2011
Worst movie I've seen in five years. I want that time back.
November 29, 2010
One of my favorite dwight yoakam movies
½ October 6, 2009
An appalling mess of a movie, but unintentionally very funny in places. Vince Vaughan is terribly miscast as the villain, delivering every line like a somewhat miffed Peter La Fleur (his character in Dodgeball); and the kiss between Dwight Yoakam and an utterly bemused Bridget Fonda is hilarious - he sort of wipes the inside of his lips all over her face, and I swear she's trying not to laugh.

Best avoided, though I think it could actually be fun to watch with a few friends and copious quantities of weed.
December 27, 2005
:rotten: Just watched Dwight Yoakhams South of Heaven, West of hell - or what the hell!!

Despite having seasoned actors such as Luke Askew, Vince Vaughan, Bridget Fonda, Peter Fonda etc. They fail to prop up poor old Dwight who is about as convincing a hero as is Saddam working for Unicef.

Poor plot, very hammy and I was left dumbfounded how any film in this day and age could be so crap. The shootouts reminded me of kids in a playground.

Dwight - stick to singing!:rotten:
November 29, 2004
Loved the movie, definitely worth watching. :up: