64% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Space Mutiny Reviews

May 16, 2014
Not really a fair rating, since I only saw this movie through the Mystery Science Theater episode so what I saw was edited. I was also predisposed to think of it as a bad movie because of the association. Even still, fairly painful.
July 11, 2013
Oh, my goodness, this movie is hilariously bad. The costumes are as 80-rific as they are stupid. The men wear full, silver outifts that seem to be made out of the linings of thermal shopping bags (seems at least somewhat practical) while the women wear blue one-piece bathing suits (not practical, at all). A villainous man wants to throw a mutiny on board the space ship that they have lived on for many years. This bad egg contains, terrible dancing involving hula-hoops, buggy chase scenes that stretch into eternity, terribly uninspired writing and probably one of the most awkward and uncomfortable seduction scenes ever committed to film. Also look out for the guy with the cane, who doesn't even attempt to make it look like he's leaning on it or walking with a limp.

Again, this might be a good film to watch with the Mystery Science Theater guys.

Overall: Pretty watchable for the badness. From a technical standpoint, it would be a one, but this movie made me laugh quite often.
May 16, 2013
I think the term here is "awesomely bad" as it is truly terrible but so so wonderful
February 20, 2013
It's a good thing I saw this through Mystery Science Theater 3000, or I never would have made it.
January 7, 2013
Combine low-speed chases with about 18 deaths involving being thrown off a railing, throw in horrible acting, and you've got yourself a real piece of crap. Or Space Mutiny.
February 23, 2011
An excellent example of "so bad its good". Just a ridiculously bad movie, from the sets to the acting (if you can call it that).
Tom v.
June 18, 2010
A movie so bad, it's great.
It's classic Reb Brown action on a space ship.
If you plan to watch this you might consider getting the MST3k version so you can laugh even more.
random reviewer
January 1, 2010
HORRID.and I love watching crappy movies so I liked this one. if you don't think its bad the dvd box even insults it
peter h.
November 28, 2009
2001 a space oddssey the greatest sic fi movie ever this [well let call it a film] is THE WORST SCI FI MOVIE EVER MADE
god the villian over acts, the hero looks like he needs bronze on him at mr uinverse, and the captain of the southern sun needs to be at the north pole with his elfs and mrs 2/100
Feldman Digital
November 25, 2009
Never hire a football player to take the lead role for your film. Also, perhaps asking Santa to join the cast may bring questions to his existence. However, having the lead villain attempt to pop his skull out at the audience is a plus in my book!
Garamonde
July 26, 2006
Space Mutiny is gawdawful. But at least it's capable of passing as a comedy. A guy runs around in a basement fighting guys dressed in high school band uniforms who ride around in "enforcers", vehicles that previously were shopping carts or floor buffers or golf carts before. Anyways, David Rider, the "hero" screams like a woman and murders monoplegics by burning them to death. Some insane women filming workout videos get those globes you find from spencer's gifts, dance and jump around and act like they actually contribute in some meaningful way to the "film", which is sad since this isn't a film, it's 20% effects stolen from Battlestar Galactica, 80% horrible special effects and 100% bad acting! It's absolutely unwatchable except for the wonderful riffing it so richly deserved on MST3K.
Thrillhouse
June 30, 2005
[b]Space Mutiny[/b] is a delightfully bad MST3K'd film that would be equally entertaining if it didn't have the running commentary. It's featured in the Volume 4 DVD release, which I finally finished, and three out of the four episodes are excellent, so I recommend it.

[b]Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3[/b] is just as good as the first two. Sure, the episodes have a bit of a pattern (Larry gets uptight about some little thing; a bunch of plot threads come together at the end) and I had the misfortune of knowing some of the best bits beforehand, but it's still hilarious. The ending of the season finale is one of the most surreal things I've watched on TV in my life.

[b]Mean Creek [/b]is an interesting moral examination of a prank gone wrong. Unfortunately, it's not that dramatically compelling. It's characters are interesting (the way they handled the bully was very well done) but like I said... just interesting. The ending fails, too, in focusing on the wrong person, and teaches us nothing. [okay, so that was a pretty vague review but I prefer not to give anything away]

[b]The Silence of the Lambs[/b] lives up to the hype. The film scores major points for its atmosphere, cinematography, and the strong performances of Hopkins and Foster. Yes, Hannibal Lecter is the great villain he's been pumped up to be. It's a creepy movie, not the sort of thing you want to watch in an empty home late at night. Deleted scenes show that the filmmakers cut away a lot of the typical thriller plot lines, such as the "you're off the case!" one, which really helps. Interesting note: one of the documentaries suggests that Johnathan Demme chose to direct Philadelphia after Silence of the Lambs in reaction to the backlash the movie took from the gay community. A friend of mine who's taken a gay and lesbian history class said that the professor didn't like Philadelphia (I've never seen it, incidentally)because the gay character had to rely on the straight lawyer to gain his dignity. Sometimes you just can't win.

[b]Battle Royale[/b] is disappointing, and not due to its hype. Perhaps I was trying to relate it to American culture too much, but it's a movie of missed potential all around. The satirical possibilites are there but wasted. There's a suggestion in the beginning that the program is a media sensation but it's NEVER BROUGHT UP AGAIN. The reason given for the program is that children don't respect adults, which seems like some child wish-fullfilment "oh my God they really do hate us" fantasy instead of a cultural comment. Seeing as how the children are in 7th grade (or was it 9th?) it makes sense that their last words would be about secret crushes, but it gets old around the fifth time that somebody expresses unrequited puppy love. One of the students voluntarily signed up. His character isn't explored at all. The sheer number of students makes it impossible for us to identify with all but a few of them, and even then the moral/Darwinian examination of what people would do in that situation isn't given the attention it needs. Oh, and the ending has no discernable meaning. To make matters worse, the action isn't that great. Redeeming features: Kitano's performance (almost a moot point because his character falls apart at the end), the concept, and the fact that having seen it gives me street cred.

-------------

Job update: Not going too well. I applied to Borders; they haven't contacted me. I applied to American Eagle; they don't need work until the back-to-school season starts. And even then I'm not a guaranteed in. Looks like I might have to suck up my pride and resort to the dreaded food service.
Zarius
December 18, 2004
Were I in any other posistion to flame and insult "Space Mutiny" to the point of exhaustion, I would, but you see, it is so perfectly flawed in it's approach to delicate story telling and continunity, and falls through so many beutiful trap doors, I find such a posistion uneccersary.

Dave Ryder is the hero of the "Southern Sun", a peaceful colonial vessel that looks...EXACTLY like the Battlestar Galactica, most of the earlier fight scenes also use fotoage from the classic series as well to make up for the fact the producers could'nt afford to use original efforts from ILM...and even to pay ILM for the footage at all.

The Southern Sun comes under attack from mutionius forces led by Kalgon, who wants to settle on a real world in Space Pirate Terrirotry, using stock footage of previous explosions and a trecherous security officer who looks ackwardly like Robbie Robertson, he hopes to acheive this (did I mention his

Ryder rallies troops to stop Kalgon's plans, along the way falling in love with the seemingly elderly daughter of the ship's Captain, who is apparently Santa Claus in all but actions.

The continunity gaps are large and noticable, and only serve to make the film a g[color=transparent][color=transparent]em [/color][/color]to watch, thrill as a woman is shot dead in one scene, only to appear alive the next, MARVEL at the fac someone dies from a railing fall and becomes seprated from his glasses on impact, only for them to miracuiously show ujp on his face again after a quick camera switch, did he have enough energy to put them back on and go out as a dignified office nerd? We will never know.

The most charming of all scenes is of course, the Golf Buggy chase across the futrutsitc space ship, disguised as space carts, the buggys engage in a "tight", snail paced "thrill ride" across two jey scenes, with the latter producing a bigger explosion than anything seen in the film before or after.

It's hard not to graps the fact that the Captain looks like Santa Claus, Dave Ryder stops acting after every line (and even appears to skip some, although the key word is "APPEARS") and that Cissie Cameron could POSSIBLY pull off the role of a gracious attraction that could turn Ryder on, but that's exactly what "Space Mutiny" demands that you grab, whislt I would recommend the MST3K version of the film, the original should'nt be looked over as blatantly as it has, it's a history lesson in pacing a film in multi layers, and a prime example of how not to handle the most delicate, most heavily criticised genre in film history.
roosterbox
July 8, 2004
And also with my favorite of the guy's quotes from the episode :)

[b]Boggy Creek 2[/b]

The best actor was Tanya, and she sucked. What does that tell you?
[i]Bryant:...Much of this land is still and should remain unspoiled...[/i]
[i]Tom: ...As blue smoke poured from my motor.[/i]

(later)

[i]Mike (as Bryant): I put Tim in front to absorb the first hail of bullets.[/i]

[b]Space Mutiny[/b]

Horrible acting, writing and completely unoriginal.
[i](after a guy has had a laser shoot his stomach)[/i]
[i]Tom (as the guy): Oh, someone get me a Zantac, quick![/i]

[b]Squirm[/b]

It's terrible, but not as bad as you might think given the subject matter.
[i](Roger is massaging his breast after his father poked it)[/i]
[i]Tom (as Roger): Oh baby...oh wait, that's me![/i]

[b]Prince of Space[/b]

HORRIBLY dubbed, the kids were annoying, and the dialogue was laughable.
[i](Dr. Macken wakes to find Krankor standing over him)[/i]
[i]Mike (as Krankor): Mm, good morning honey.[/i]

[b]Overdrawn at the Memory Bank[/b]

Raul Julia is the film's only saving grace.
([i]After Rick and the James Cagney copycat try and block the door with a large wicker chair)[/i]
[i]Mike: Yeah, that'll stop the 400 pound guy who smells pancakes![/i]

[i](After Rick as been shot)[/i]
[i]Tom (as Rick): You must remember this, my liver has been pierced...[/i]

Stay tuned for part 2 (and possibly 3!)