Space Mutiny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Space Mutiny Reviews

May 16, 2014
Not really a fair rating, since I only saw this movie through the Mystery Science Theater episode so what I saw was edited. I was also predisposed to think of it as a bad movie because of the association. Even still, fairly painful.
January 7, 2013
Combine low-speed chases with about 18 deaths involving being thrown off a railing, throw in horrible acting, and you've got yourself a real piece of crap. Or Space Mutiny.
½ September 16, 2010
A tacitly pro Apartheid film and the the only science fiction film that takes the side of oppression. Did I mention it sucks too? Can only be enjoyed with Mike, Crow, and Tom.
January 1, 2010
HORRID.and I love watching crappy movies so I liked this one. if you don't think its bad the dvd box even insults it
½ November 25, 2009
Never hire a football player to take the lead role for your film. Also, perhaps asking Santa to join the cast may bring questions to his existence. However, having the lead villain attempt to pop his skull out at the audience is a plus in my book!
July 26, 2006
Space Mutiny is gawdawful. But at least it's capable of passing as a comedy. A guy runs around in a basement fighting guys dressed in high school band uniforms who ride around in "enforcers", vehicles that previously were shopping carts or floor buffers or golf carts before. Anyways, David Rider, the "hero" screams like a woman and murders monoplegics by burning them to death. Some insane women filming workout videos get those globes you find from spencer's gifts, dance and jump around and act like they actually contribute in some meaningful way to the "film", which is sad since this isn't a film, it's 20% effects stolen from Battlestar Galactica, 80% horrible special effects and 100% bad acting! It's absolutely unwatchable except for the wonderful riffing it so richly deserved on MST3K.
½ June 30, 2005
[b]Space Mutiny[/b] is a delightfully bad MST3K'd film that would be equally entertaining if it didn't have the running commentary. It's featured in the Volume 4 DVD release, which I finally finished, and three out of the four episodes are excellent, so I recommend it.

[b]Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3[/b] is just as good as the first two. Sure, the episodes have a bit of a pattern (Larry gets uptight about some little thing; a bunch of plot threads come together at the end) and I had the misfortune of knowing some of the best bits beforehand, but it's still hilarious. The ending of the season finale is one of the most surreal things I've watched on TV in my life.

[b]Mean Creek [/b]is an interesting moral examination of a prank gone wrong. Unfortunately, it's not that dramatically compelling. It's characters are interesting (the way they handled the bully was very well done) but like I said... just interesting. The ending fails, too, in focusing on the wrong person, and teaches us nothing. [okay, so that was a pretty vague review but I prefer not to give anything away]

[b]The Silence of the Lambs[/b] lives up to the hype. The film scores major points for its atmosphere, cinematography, and the strong performances of Hopkins and Foster. Yes, Hannibal Lecter is the great villain he's been pumped up to be. It's a creepy movie, not the sort of thing you want to watch in an empty home late at night. Deleted scenes show that the filmmakers cut away a lot of the typical thriller plot lines, such as the "you're off the case!" one, which really helps. Interesting note: one of the documentaries suggests that Johnathan Demme chose to direct Philadelphia after Silence of the Lambs in reaction to the backlash the movie took from the gay community. A friend of mine who's taken a gay and lesbian history class said that the professor didn't like Philadelphia (I've never seen it, incidentally)because the gay character had to rely on the straight lawyer to gain his dignity. Sometimes you just can't win.

[b]Battle Royale[/b] is disappointing, and not due to its hype. Perhaps I was trying to relate it to American culture too much, but it's a movie of missed potential all around. The satirical possibilites are there but wasted. There's a suggestion in the beginning that the program is a media sensation but it's NEVER BROUGHT UP AGAIN. The reason given for the program is that children don't respect adults, which seems like some child wish-fullfilment "oh my God they really do hate us" fantasy instead of a cultural comment. Seeing as how the children are in 7th grade (or was it 9th?) it makes sense that their last words would be about secret crushes, but it gets old around the fifth time that somebody expresses unrequited puppy love. One of the students voluntarily signed up. His character isn't explored at all. The sheer number of students makes it impossible for us to identify with all but a few of them, and even then the moral/Darwinian examination of what people would do in that situation isn't given the attention it needs. Oh, and the ending has no discernable meaning. To make matters worse, the action isn't that great. Redeeming features: Kitano's performance (almost a moot point because his character falls apart at the end), the concept, and the fact that having seen it gives me street cred.

-------------

Job update: Not going too well. I applied to Borders; they haven't contacted me. I applied to American Eagle; they don't need work until the back-to-school season starts. And even then I'm not a guaranteed in. Looks like I might have to suck up my pride and resort to the dreaded food service.
July 8, 2004
And also with my favorite of the guy's quotes from the episode :)

[b]Boggy Creek 2[/b]

The best actor was Tanya, and she sucked. What does that tell you?
[i]Bryant:...Much of this land is still and should remain unspoiled...[/i]
[i]Tom: ...As blue smoke poured from my motor.[/i]

(later)

[i]Mike (as Bryant): I put Tim in front to absorb the first hail of bullets.[/i]

[b]Space Mutiny[/b]

Horrible acting, writing and completely unoriginal.
[i](after a guy has had a laser shoot his stomach)[/i]
[i]Tom (as the guy): Oh, someone get me a Zantac, quick![/i]

[b]Squirm[/b]

It's terrible, but not as bad as you might think given the subject matter.
[i](Roger is massaging his breast after his father poked it)[/i]
[i]Tom (as Roger): Oh baby...oh wait, that's me![/i]

[b]Prince of Space[/b]

HORRIBLY dubbed, the kids were annoying, and the dialogue was laughable.
[i](Dr. Macken wakes to find Krankor standing over him)[/i]
[i]Mike (as Krankor): Mm, good morning honey.[/i]

[b]Overdrawn at the Memory Bank[/b]

Raul Julia is the film's only saving grace.
([i]After Rick and the James Cagney copycat try and block the door with a large wicker chair)[/i]
[i]Mike: Yeah, that'll stop the 400 pound guy who smells pancakes![/i]

[i](After Rick as been shot)[/i]
[i]Tom (as Rick): You must remember this, my liver has been pierced...[/i]

Stay tuned for part 2 (and possibly 3!)
March 22, 2016
This is a very fun movie to watch. I have watched it a dozen or so times. I will laugh so many times and enjoy the sexy women so much.
½ October 21, 2015
best consumed with AMPLE amounts of MST3K riffing, otherwise... there is not much to say... nice to see there was someone capable of using stolen footage off of Battlestar Galactica, a scifi series that totally would never resurface again... xD
April 22, 2012
Space Mutiny is so bumbling and terrible that one would be hard-pressed not to fall asleep on it, and I did the very first time I saw it. Not even the presence of John Phillip Law could save this piece of 1980's sci-fi garbage. Thankfully, the crew of Mystery Science Theater 3000 makes it memorable, and nothing else. It has all the appeal of a dingy and smelly mattress floating on a pile of sewage, and even then that's giving it too much credit. It's only entertainment value is its unintentional comedy, but you have to be really dedicated to get through it as it's spotty and doesn't come all at once. If you're going to see this, I recommend seeing the MST3K version only. That's about the only way one can sit through it.
May 16, 2014
½ September 2, 2013
My god this movie is bad. Gets the two and a half stars due to the job that MST3K did to it.
July 11, 2013
Oh, my goodness, this movie is hilariously bad. The costumes are as 80-rific as they are stupid. The men wear full, silver outifts that seem to be made out of the linings of thermal shopping bags (seems at least somewhat practical) while the women wear blue one-piece bathing suits (not practical, at all). A villainous man wants to throw a mutiny on board the space ship that they have lived on for many years. This bad egg contains, terrible dancing involving hula-hoops, buggy chase scenes that stretch into eternity, terribly uninspired writing and probably one of the most awkward and uncomfortable seduction scenes ever committed to film. Also look out for the guy with the cane, who doesn't even attempt to make it look like he's leaning on it or walking with a limp.

Again, this might be a good film to watch with the Mystery Science Theater guys.

Overall: Pretty watchable for the badness. From a technical standpoint, it would be a one, but this movie made me laugh quite often.
May 16, 2013
I think the term here is "awesomely bad" as it is truly terrible but so so wonderful
½ March 5, 2013
Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away is a generational star ship full of frustrated muscle bound, and face, men with seedy intentions and stupid, stupid acting. Since the spaceship is a generational one, it usually means that you're born and you die on that ship while never be setting foot on a planet. I guess Mars, Pluto, Venus, Mercury, Neptune, Jupiter, Uranus and Saturn were not of any interest to them. They're obviously from Earth. There is one thing that this movie DOES answer and that's the age old question of there being other planets out there. In this film the answer is no. There is no other planets.

Since being on this spaceship really sucks, a certain dude is looking to conspire against the ship's captain (who looks like Santa Claus) and get off this ship thanks to the wiccan pirates that have come aboard. These sexy females who use their minds to speak their words that don't come out of their mouths somehow help the evil dude to distract the Captain along with every one else on the ship while he changes the course of the ship to a certain galactic system that may have an actual planet on it. He's doing it for a good cause even though he's going about it in a really wrong way. Kind of like a hostage situation except if you hold your own family hostage just because you want to go to Disney World only to find out that your family was planning on a trip to Disney World anyway. (Shrugs)

Serves well for an action packed adventure in space even though it would be perfect for the Homoerotic Sci/Fi genre. All the men, including the hero played by Reb Brown, are your typical 80s douchebags. They're the types you'd expect to be beating off to the movie Road House while getting a sun tan. There are women in the film though. You do get the wiccan women pirates who just keep doing the wiccan work-out of moving around and waving their arms as if worshipping the everlasting gobstopper. The actors involved give the wonderful script the stilted dialogue it truly deserved. The production values are seriously warehouse worthy and in one big chase scene involving Enforcer vehicles you could easily make out the craftmanship of what they're driving in: bowling-alley floor polishers. They do give off mighty explosions when crashed into other "Enforcer vehicles".

One of the worst sci/fi films to ever come out of South Africa since Invictus. (Please note: Invictus isn't a sci/fi film, but I will say I would rather watch THIS film instead of THAT film. Like it matters. I know. But just sending it out there. Brought to you by Nuts...Peanuts. That is all.)
½ February 20, 2013
It's a good thing I saw this through Mystery Science Theater 3000, or I never would have made it.
January 7, 2013
February 23, 2011
An excellent example of "so bad its good". Just a ridiculously bad movie, from the sets to the acting (if you can call it that).
January 25, 2011
Bad and almost funny, but not quite.