• PG-13, 2 hr. 10 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Spanglish Reviews

Anthony L

April 3, 2013
I'm being generous giving it 3 stars but it is well written, is a good story and does always stick to the same formulaic pace that many Hollywood films keep which I found a bit refreshing. In fact, I found it to be original and unpredictable but unfortunately it has 2 massive flaws; Adam Sandler and Téa Leoni. Adam Sandler should have been last choice to play the father, I realise he was quite popular in 2004 but he was never convincing in the role and alarm bell should have been ringing early on in the production of the film. Tea Leoni did a better job but she was far too over the top, a better actress would have been more convincing and I think what she has done since is quite telling. It is Paz Vega who really keeps the film alive, she is the only one convincing in her performance and she is the only one who looks like they're even trying, the film is beneath her. James L. Brooks used to be so funny...
Apeneck F

April 23, 2008
An interesting ensemble piece with wonderful performances by all concerned. One of Sandler's best, Leoni a diamond of neediness, Leachman ... one of my all time favs, and Vega perhaps the strong center of the film as, of all things, the Mexican maid (what, they couldn't find any Mexicans in L.A. to play a Mexican?). Although it lacks something ... maybe ... it's still better than most cut-and-dried romcoms.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

November 26, 2010
"Spanglish" is the lesser of James L. Brooks' directorial efforts mainly because he is trying so obviously for cultural commentary. His films are better when he is showing a character's nuance objectively ("As Good As It Gets"). While "Spanglish" is not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination, it just does not go as far as it should. It's narrative is hindered by the way it's delivered and it unfortunately keeps us at a bit of an arms length from the characters. I enjoyed all the performances, especially Tea Leoni for being so aggressively unlikable, but in the end, you never have much to truly tether yourself to.
Spencer S

December 13, 2009
The ever amazing dramatic performance of Sandler, the desperaging Leoni, and the foolhard Vega all work in tandem very well.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
C+
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is a movie where I could just shut up and enjoy it, taking it at face value, or I could totally use it in a discussion about the modern immigrant experience in the United States. Regardless, it's a good movie. It's a tad too long, and drags in places, but it's pretty solid nonetheless. The perferomances are terrific. Paz Vega steals the show in a career making (and difficult) role. Tea Leoni makes you hate her character, and thus also gives a successful performances. Sandler was cast before Brooks saw him in Punch Drunk Love, and like that movie, he does another really good job showing that he has chops, and can do something other than juvenille comedy films. As much as I used to like Sandler's funny movies, I think i enjoy him in these types of roles more. It's fun seeing Cloris Leachman in a key supporting role. She's got good comedic timing, and is one of the most likeable characters in the Of the children, Luna/Bruce are really good as a child torn between two worlds, and while Steele, and the little boy are decent, their characters are sadly underwritten. Steele has some great moments, but they should have done a bit more with the character. Had they done more though, they should have been careful not to deal with the character in too stereotypical of a way that is common with the character she plays. What I'm saying is that see needed more screentime, but thankfully what she does have is very nuanced and nicely done.

I've only now seen two of Jame L. Brooks's films, but I like him. His movies to me are very truthful. They have their moments of sentiment and whimsy, but don't shy away from hitting into some very human topics, no matter how painful or uncomfortable they may be. Some have called this movie mean spirited, and to an extent, yes it is, but so is life.

I applaud this film for having so much to offer, and for beng gutsy enough to tackle several tough issues all in one film. And not only that, but for succeeding at it.
KJ P

February 6, 2010
I liked it, even though it is really dull in some areas!
Conner R

January 17, 2010
While it's not bad looking and actually has an interesting plot, it just falls flat with the performances. Everyone is either yelling or being boring, there is no emotional depth to any character. I felt like maybe with another cast it could've been good. Tea Leoni was probably the most well groomed actor, but was still hurt by the surrounding cast.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
one of adam sandler's best roles, spanglish is a touching though funny story about two people, drawn together, despite extenuating circumstances. deborah clasky is brilliant as adam sandler's insane wife.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
Pretty good actually. Adam Sandler finally didn't drive me insane in a movie.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 14, 2007
Spanglish is a tremendous movie that deals with the portrayal of real people and their formative psychology. To me it seemed so real and full of true life value and meaning. Truly a pleasant surprise and great movie.

This amazing movie has great communication throughout including dazzling scenes with the use of two languages in full bloom. It has strong rich character development over the entire cast of characters. The viewer can empathize with these characters and truly understand and feel their emotions and their very source.

The movies is a story of two cultures and two mothers. It is a story of the human spirit that takes the viewer through a range of emotions.
deano
deano

June 19, 2007
Wonderful and little emotional of the comic-drama family of an immigrant Mexican single mother becomes embroiled in the domestic crises of the well-to-do family she works for. Great performances, especially by sexy Spanish Paz Vega, her first English-language and Hollywood film, as the housekeeper and Tea Leoni as her high-strung employer, can't overcome a lumpy script that veers back and forth between sitcom and soap opera.
Jennifer X

June 7, 2007
very sweet movie about language barriers but dragged.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 13, 2007
cholris leachman is terrific, the rest of the movie is missing that certain something
Red L

March 10, 2007
This was made more interesting as we saw it while spending a month in Mexico.
Jason S

December 27, 2006
Left me wanting more of a conclusion.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
It was pretty okay.
Lanning :

April 28, 2006
Not unbearable. One star for Leachman. One star for Steele; I see a bright future for her. Very personable on screen. No stars for Vega, but she has potential too. If Leoni wants to keep doing movies, she really needs to take some acting lessons. Sandler has to become more selective about projects. This is really not his best.
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

December 24, 2004
I think the peak of holiday spirit has got to be Dec. 10th-15th, somewhere around there. By the time the 22nd-23rd roll around, you just want it to be Christmas already. All this edge-of-your-seat anticipation. Eh, perhaps it's just me. And no, I'm not humbuggin' out at all. ;) My excitement exists in great big heaps, but these heaps have seen bigger days. But the holiday tunes have been blaring so much that I half-feel I'm training for Christmas Music Jeopardy. Blargh.

Reached -2 degrees F here tonight. Yes, that's a minus sign. You can crack your face in such frigidity. I'm not so sure it's blustering snow outside as it is a thousand people's dry skin. :D *gag*

Felt like writing a little, so here are some particularly Neumish poems:

[size=1]
Propelling past the yardsticks
With a face of dried amusement
Sure I'd stop and smell the napalm
If I knew what all the news meant

Seize the air of flipping's page
My blindness writes my words
Yet this turbine wreathed of hands and feet
Unites the circus herds

My lines fall plague to debted cries
Deflection of all ages
Metal-minded neon pageant?
The quota grinds their stages

Lambasted with entropic slang
Our madhouse throbbing bright
I'll thumb my nose and sing a whistle
Failure's staying another night

[b]Die For You[/b]
For your undying love,
I would liquefy the largest zombie
In a blender of the greatest power
Add a dash of cinnamon
And serve you the result

For your undying love,
I'd impale the ditzy cheerleaders
At the senior prom using steel javelins
Primp it all into a pretty bouquet
And present it to you

For your undying love,
I would swipe a chainsaw into a vampire's face
Draining its blood using a giant rolling pin
Donate it to a hospital in need
And put the charity in your name

For your undying love,
I'd flood the teacher's lounge with sulfuric acid
Mop up the melted skin and mix it with mayonnaise
Use the goo to create a beautiful expressionist painting
And mount it on your bathroom wall

For your undying love,
I would dissect five hundred thousand alien corpses
Using your boss's sharpened right femur to make incisions
Make maracas out of the hardened eyeballs and dried stomach pouches
And name the fifth track on the Latin music CD after you

For your undying love,
I'd give you anything of the utmost beauty
Do whatever you desire to put me in your favor
Just don't ask me to write you a poem
Because baby, I don't go for that crap

[b]No Nocturne[/b]
It is a dull tragedy that my very notes are ignored
My best words piled, buzzing in decay
A fool! A fool I am unto my own unrevisions
And now I sit in cosmic isolation
Where anybody ever is
Stowing through the galaxy of lonely, wisping eyes
Lulled...by the fire, the face, and its forgeries
Someone
Offer me a drink of farewell
Let me sleep this once

Thin whiffs of music seep from the speakers
There she is; a haunt in my breath again
A shudder of warm shards in prismatic overthrow
With some compulsive device
I must destroy her
Tear the stone and ice from strongholds of empire bitterness!
But the steal-beamed memory crashes on itself
In a satellite wink
Oh, it is dark in this vacuum
Can one measure the promises in ashtray content?
Can one hide the days inside an empty pillowcase?
Let me tell you about the weight that I've been bearing
Said the mountain to the man
I have to make-believe the year with emotions oversoon
The summer of frowns now smile
We forgot to perform the show tune ending
The one with glad remembrances and eloquent afterthought
With ache that smiles loudly in my gold imagination
She glides in a style with no impulse to thank
And now my mind is the museum of her last self to me
...how did you look again?
Ah, I cannot unhinge my eyelids to end the spinning universe
Only ghosts of color in the bulging blackness
I dream better with my eyes open
Let me tell you about the light that I've been seeing
Said the candle to the flame
Beauty be but a tale of greater passions
A storm of a thousand lashes and a sky of butter and rose
But daring as I may, and may I be so marvelous
The minstrel in my head is strumming a familiar thought
Her touch...as warm and deep as the southern summer
As it occurs to me what it means to be human
To be human!
Oh, let us exist in a happy glade somewhere
Where every kiss will save the world
Gulping our absolute togetherness and absolutely nothing else
How I need this complication...
Shivering
The dependable winter moon benumbs my strawberry fancy
I am plunged beneath river, rock and earth
The utter efficacy of my awayness
Gestured in a false gestalt
Withered tree of purpose, now flickered to villainous cinders
My cooing middle tied in knots to stop the bleeding
Static drains from the speakers
...Where are my best words to paperclip this noise?

Let me tell you about the dreams that I keep having
Said the statue to the world

[size=2]Please critique with extreme prejudice. Or skim and tell me I'm awesome; whatever works.

Happy Holidays, everybody! :)
(I'll be 'caroling' to plenty of you journal regulars later :p)
[/size][/size]
Juan C

July 12, 2011
a comedy mixed with taste and laughs of it's own! James L. Brooks has crafted a terrific comedy that is hillarious, yet with a sense of heartbroke. adam sandler is terrific and hillarious, as usual. a comedy full of flare, taste, language, humor, heartbroke, and a special technique in feeling! James L. Brooks has done it again of crafting yet another perfect comedy! A+