97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Una Giornata Particolare (A Special Day) Reviews

AJ V

December 9, 2013
How does an audience feel watching two depressed characters fail to cheer each other up during a depressing time period in Italy? Well, I don't know about you, but I was both depressed and bored. I'm a big fan of both Loren and Mastroianni, but I love to see them do stuff, have fun, overcome obstacles... and none of that happened here. This is a slice of life story, and it seems more suited for the stage than for film. It isn't even interesting visually. In fact, the set, costumes, and general mis-en-scene, are also really boring. I'm not going to say that it's a terrible film, though. In the character's interactions and dialogue, there was a bit of tension and a promise of furthering the story. Unfortunate that nothing comes of it, but I liked thinking that something would happen. Plus, it's hard to make this setting fun. So, I'm going to say this movie is just so-so.
December 8, 2007
To be fair, I don't like Ettore Scola. I find him too politically correct and to be frank mushy. And this film is no exception: "look how awful the awful fascists are and how wonderful the gay-freedom-loving-culture-buffs are". No really you think so?Now Mastroianni and Loren are not bad actors, but they're not good enough that seeing them non-stop on the screen doesn't reveal their short-comings and cheap tricks.The only truly pleasant moment is in the very beginning when Italian newsreal of the time are presented: sheer madness! Hilarious in a crazy way.
April 15, 2014
This great Sophia Loren flick deserves more attention.
July 14, 2010
A dated premise, but nonetheless, beautifully told and rendered.
Casey
June 3, 2012
The acting is certainly here, both leads give a great performance, Marcello in particular is his usual powerhouse self and kind of carries the film. Other then that it's a bit to melodramatic, and, well, pointless? It doesn't really offer any social or intellectual themes and it doesn't come around to any satisfying conclusion about anything. Entertaining while it lasts though.
December 10, 2011
niceeeeeeeeeeee movie
Zeppo1
May 7, 2010
*** (out of four)

A well intended and nicely acted drama that mostly centers around two very different people and the way the perceive each other based on their limited impressions.

Sophia Loren plays a housewife, whose facist husband has taken the kids to a Mussolini/Hitler rally. She stays home where she meets the man (Marcello Mastrianni) who lives across the building from her. She is intrigued and reaches out to him, but his own demons keep him from embracing her.

Mastrianni was up for an Oscar, but it is Loren who steals the show with her vivacious, yet vulnerable and depressive portrait of a woman who will risk her life for a moment of happiness.
arsmagica
May 28, 2005
wonderfulbut sad film. And impossible love and relation not only by its society also by themselves.