Total Recall: 50 Most Memorable Movie Cars

We count down the 50 most famous cars to drive across the silver screen.

50 - 46 | 45 - 41 | 40 - 36 | 35 - 31 | 30 - 26 | 25 - 21 | 20 - 16 | 15 - 11 | 10 - 6 | 5 - 1
Honorable Mentions

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
more info...
10. Mr. Frye's Ferrari
Type of car: 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder SWB
Special features: attracts joyriding parking attendants
Appears in: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Cameron says his father loves this car more than life itself. Ferris scoffs at his priorities, but does highly recommend picking one up, if you have the means. It's a simply beautiful car, and fortunately the filmmakers destroy a mere replica, not the real thing.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Batman
more info...
9. Tim Burton's Batmobile
Type of car: GM Batmobile
Special features: Turbine, remote control, shields
Appears in: Batman, Batman Returns

The 1989 Batman needed to overcome a lot of the camp baggage left by the old TV show, and the new Batmobile was big step in that direction. Although the 1960s Batmobile was cool, this new one was simply mind-blowing.

Batman

Starsky & Hutch
more info...
8. Starsky's Gran Torino
Type of car: 1976 Ford Gran Torino
Special features: Mag wheels, custom paint
Appears in: Starsky & Hutch

The long-running TV show helped make this car popular, but it's the 2004 film the qualifies the iconic red Gran Torino hot rod for a high rank on the list. About ten of the cars were destroyed during filming, and only a couple have survived.

Starsky & Hutch

Smokey and the Bandit
more info...
7. Bandit's Trans Am
Type of car: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Special features: T-tops, CB Radio
Appears in: Smokey and the Bandit, Smokey and the Bandit II

Burt Reynolds' previous stint as bootlegger in White Lightning involved a relatively boring Ford 500. But this time around, he drives the outrageously-styled Trans Am, complete with the "Flaming Chicken" decals.

Smokey and the Bandit

Ghostbusters
more info...
6. Ecto-1
Type of car: 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor
Special features: Siren, sliding proton pack storage
Appears in: Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2

According to Ray, it just needs some suspension work and shocks. Brakes, brake pads, lining, steering box, transmission, rear-end. Also new rings, mufflers, a little wiring. But hey, the old ambulance was only $4800. That's only about $10,000 when scaled up for inflation.

Ghostbusters

Comments

digitalrelic

Jason Stieber

Great list, the number 1 was a perfect choice! The delorean is absolutely iconic.

May 8 - 02:52 PM

jester88

J Ester

thanks....
do you walk in to the movie theatre and annouce the end of the movie too? why not just make a copy of the list and post it so the rest of us don't have to read all the other 49

May 9 - 06:09 AM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

im glad the general lee which should be atleast number 2 but oh well and also torettos 1970 charger, what can i say im a charger fan

May 8 - 02:55 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

I think the DB5 is WAYYYY more iconic than herbie, the general lee, and the mach 5. Think about it. 50 Most Memorable MOVIE CARS. Mach 5 and General Lee both came before in they're tv series and herbie, well Lohan ruined that for most fans.

I Agree with the De Lorean at that no. 1 spot, but the DB5 should have had that no. 2.

May 8 - 03:01 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Great list. The only car I think is missing is Kurt Russels car in Deathproof with the skull.

May 8 - 03:16 PM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

Nice list, M!
Although I have to admit I would have put Christine and the Eco 1 higher than Speed Racer and The General Lee which, as pointed out before, were really TV cars. And if TV cars are included, Kitt should be in the top ten!

May 8 - 03:27 PM

minderbinder

anonymous anonymous

Nice list, especially the delorian for #1.

But I have to disagree with the inclusion of the General Lee. You said in the intro you were leaving out TV cars, and while yes, it was in the movie, the car is only famous because of the TV show and not the turd of a movie. If it were only in the movie it wouldn't be on this list at all. Seems like you guys are bending your own rules.

May 8 - 03:34 PM

RT-Matchity

Matt Atchity

There was a brief debate about whether or not to include cars that started on TV (the General Lee, Starsky's Gran Torino, the Mach 5), but we ultimately decided to include them. Our reasoning was that if a successful TV actor (i.e. Neil Patrick Harris) appears in a movie or two, is he still just a TV star? And even though the Mach 5 and the General Lee were primarily TV cars, they were definitely treated as stars of their respective (big-budget) films. And we figured it's more of an oversight to leave them out, rather than include them.

May 8 - 03:45 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

jokerboy, Stuntman Mike's Death Proof car made the honorable mentions!

May 8 - 03:36 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Oh ok

May 8 - 04:47 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Hey Jen sicnce youve seen speed racer alreay is it any good? I wanna see it but the reviews have been negative, which I expected. Also is RACER X in it alot?

May 8 - 04:48 PM

RT-Matchity

Matt Atchity

May 8 - 03:45 PM

davechung

David Chung

I busted out in a big smile as soon as I saw Fozzie's Studebaker made the list. Epic win for the bear.

May 8 - 04:20 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Oh ok

May 8 - 04:47 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

May 8 - 04:48 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

jokerboy, I LOVED Speed Racer. I've never disagreed personally with the Tomatometer so strongly. Unless you have the heart of a cynic (like 65 % of critics at the moment), you'll enjoy it. And there's enough Racer X to make a Matthew Fox fan weep. You know what's interesting about Matthew Fox? EVERYTHING.

May 8 - 05:23 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Cool thanks Jen, Im gonna trust ya because u seem to like cool action flicks with ausome bizare style, like mostly the Night Watch series, and we both are excited for Wanted seems to look like we will finnaly get a cool R action flick. Im also happy theres alot of Racer X, matthew fox is ausome- hes ausome on Lost.

May 8 - 06:05 PM

jocorotten

Joanna Cohen

The Aston Martin DB5 is a machine of great beauty. I want one. Very very much. Great list Matchity. If you are into car movies, I recommend digging out an obscure, early Peter Weir Aussie flick called The Cars that Ate Paris. It scored 50% on the Tomatometer and it is very very weird and very very black but the cars are an experience! In trivia interesting probably only to myself, it was filmed in a tiny, one road Aussie town where I spent part of my childhood.

May 8 - 05:38 PM

mcload

Patrick McLoad

Well who doesn't want an Aston Martin DB5 these days? Will take at least a half mill to get one. A DB-6 would do me just fine....actually...ANY Aston Martin would be nice!

May 27 - 07:20 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

May 8 - 06:05 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Huh? The Batmobile shoulda been no 1
Then delorian at 2
then Ecto 1 at 3.

I dont care what happens after that.

May 8 - 06:12 PM

villain78

Enrico Banson

I was kinda hopin' to see Lightning McQueen up there, but then again I'm like one of five people who loved Pixar's Cars. Or maybe animated ones don't count. Great list!

May 8 - 08:00 PM

hitnrun017

Ethan Connolly

I would of thrown up if Herbie wasn't in the top 10, thank you!

May 8 - 08:05 PM

theginsengtree

Nicolaas van Oss

I have to take issue with Bullitt being so low. C'mon!

May 8 - 08:16 PM

Mr. & Mrs. B

Kevan and April Brenay

The movies made after TV shows such as Dukes of Hazzard were horrible and if the movie was to stand alone the car wouldn't be famous at all and should not be considered for a car in the top ten. Ok now that I'm done venting with a run on sentance, I loved the rest of the list. Awesome that the Batmobile made it on the list three times (thank God you didn't include the Batman and Robin Batmobile). Personally Christine should have been higher on the list. That car scared the crap out of me as a child, honestly I still have nightmares!

May 8 - 08:16 PM