Total Recall: 50 Most Memorable Movie Cars

Summary

After 40 years, the Mach 5 makes the jump from animation to the big screen, and to celebrate, we're counting down the most memorable cars of all time. Back to Article

Comments

scorpion_renderlord

Scorpion Renderlord

Bullcrap, the Ecto-1 should've been #2. When you think "memorable movie cars" that and the Delorean are the first to pop in your head. Too bad Ash's Delta 88 didn't make the list, but I was glad to see it honorably mentioned. ECTO-1 ALL THE WAY!

May 11 - 12:04 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I don't think KITT was in the movie.

Oh, and I just remembered the film MALVERT is from... Student Bodies? HILARIOUS!

"Malvert pee red. . ."

HORSEHEAD BOOKENDS.

May 11 - 03:29 PM

fade2gray

J P

Good list! My only complaint is that Chitty should have been much higher.

May 11 - 10:04 PM

techraan

Ron Morris

It's a little thing but, the Batmobile from the 60s series was actually a customized 1955 Lincoln Futura, not a '54. The Vehicle was built by Ford in '54, but it was a 1955 model concept car.

May 12 - 07:57 AM

BrockSamson

Mary Turner

It only had a brief cameo, but there was the awesome deathmobile that emerged from under the parade float in Animal House.

May 12 - 08:03 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I wish I had a time machine car...

May 12 - 08:21 AM

ValleyBears

Terry Hannon

Actually there are 2 cool cars I did not see in the list that should have at least shown up in the honorable mentions section:
1) The Golden Compass car - even though it was not it the movie very long it was still really cool
2) Captain Nemo's car on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

May 12 - 09:01 AM

SidneyCarton

Gregg Colvin

... what about Daniel LaRuso's moms station wagon in Karate Kid.

May 12 - 09:55 AM

SidneyCarton

Gregg Colvin

The Jag in austin powers!

May 12 - 09:58 AM

SidneyCarton

Gregg Colvin

The Minis in Italian Job

May 12 - 09:59 AM

SlyDante

Kyle LeClair

Alright, time to get three minor peeves out of the way:

1. Did you guys say that the Mirthmobile ISN'T cool?? *smacks you upside the head*

2. Having the Batmobile on the list three times seems a bit excessive (I would've just grouped them in one spot), but I guess it's understandable since they're all different models.

3. The only notable omission, off the top of my head, is Kaneda's motorcycle from Akira...But of course, that's not an actual car. Duh. Still, as a kick-*** movie vehicle/roadster in general, it should've deserved an honorable mention somehow.

Other than all of that, it was a damn fine list! The Ecto-One, the DeLorean, the Mirthmobile, all my faves...Awesome.

May 12 - 11:33 AM

ilooklikejimsdad

Steve Quayhackx

I'm surprised Uncle Buck's Mercury Grand Marquis did not make the list. It was very much a part of the film, even if it was a beat up wreck.

May 12 - 11:53 AM

punktuate

Justin Montello

I would like to know where the A-team van was, KITT, Judge Dread's motorcycle (especially the one that flew), all of Iron Man's cars....especially the Shelby Cobra that he destroys....that was pretty memorable ;), the flying Camaro from the cartoon MASK, theres so many more the list is missing all sorts.....I agree tho with Bat-Fink batmobile should have been number 1 and I think it should have been the newest one thats most like the comic books car the others were iconic but the Newest one a cross between a Lamborgini and a HUMMER come on it's totally sic!

May 12 - 12:28 PM

SlyDante

Kyle LeClair

They said right in the introduction that only cars from movies - or movies based on TV shows - were considered towards the list, thus the omission of the A-Team van & KITT (they even mentioned those two as an example).

Judge Dredd's motorcycle is...Well, a motorcycle. Not a full-fledged car. Besides, if we had to pick only one motorcycle for an honorable mention, then screw Dredd, once again I say that props should be given to Kaneda's motorcycle from Akira.

Iron Man had some cool cars...But I doubt wrecking one up really shows off its potential. No real car-centric scenes = No mention.

May 12 - 02:52 PM

SlyDante

Kyle LeClair

May 12 - 02:52 PM

air-x-images

eric barron

what about the diesel from maximum overdrive? or charlie sheens cars in the wraith or the porsche from no mans land? and since this list included vehicles that werent cars, what about the tank from tank? or mr T's cab from DC cab? but i def think that the #1 car shoulda been optimus prime from transformers..

May 12 - 06:51 PM

PLARK

Steve Lesic

haha that was a really good list i was surprised at some, but a good surprise i thought you were going to forget someone but I think you got all the ones i was thinking

May 12 - 07:20 PM

Wallcloud

Corey Mayne

no Jurassic Park jeep?

ah well, Batman Return's batmobile is the best

May 12 - 07:32 PM

director101

Scott Barker

For about 14 years, I owned one of the original Gran Torinos from "Starsky & Hutch." It still had the ownership plate from 20th Fox welded into the engine compartment, and plenty of dents/damage from several years of filming.
My advice to anyone who wants to own a movie/TV car is: be prepared for a lot of idiot motorists to make "clever" comments whenever they spot you in or near the car (I certainly underestimated that response); build up a big bank account, because unless you buy the car completely restored, it will nickel and dime you to death.

May 13 - 08:08 AM

geo333

Georgette Darcy

Are you kidding? What about the Phantom Corsair from 1938's The Young in Heart?

May 13 - 08:38 AM

enter_narne

Enter Narne

I think the following cars should have at least gotten honorable mentions:

The Electric SUV's from Jurassic Park