Speed Racer Reviews

July 13, 2011
2 stars for fantastic art design, visual effects and a good use of music ques. 1 extra star for a story that was pretty decent.
½ September 23, 2015
Wachowski Brothers Destroyed another Classic!
This is a Terrible adaptation of an Classic Anime... this is why i hate American Remakes of Japanese animes!
December 20, 2010
No joke, in the shortlist for top 10, maybe even top 5 favorite movies.
May 14, 2014
Speed Racer is just one of those movies with a direct focus on making it bigger, better, louder and more colourful, and boldly ignores any sense or common wit or actually tolerable dialogue. The special effects are nauseating, the main characters (aside from Goodman perhaps) deliver pretty shitty performances, and the movie jumps and skips around so much it becomes almost a tiresome mental exercise. Speed Racer is meant mostly for kids, and that is all it will appeal to. If you're anyone over nine years old, avoid it like it's the plague (a bit harsh, but you get the idea).
April 17, 2013
This movie makes me wanna go roadkill. I rather watch the cartoon.
August 10, 2015
Not nearly half as bad as more than half the people on this website agree, and liked by less than half half as well as it deserves.
June 23, 2015
I don't get why this film was rated so low. It's fun, the driving scenes (tons of them) are intense and have tons of eye candy, the cast was decent and the cinematography has some form of old-school to it that gets me feeling all nostalgic. This film is a ton of fun and everyone should give it a shot.
½ June 18, 2015
What a tacky and visually irritating film. This is basically The Wachowskis' Spy Kids 3-D; it is so soulless and mindless and cartoonish that calling it "stupid" would almost sound like a compliment. The story is incoherent and script is terrible, The Wachowskis always have a hard time writing believable and authentic dialogue, and the same goes to the character depth. I know it's supposed to be a visual feast, but most of the special and visual effects are incredibly dizzying and quite exhausting to look at. The only redeeming qualities are Christina Ricci and the score by Michael Giancchino. Other than that, Speed Racer is a joke: A candy dream that wastes the talents of everyone involved. What a shame.
June 1, 2008
Stupid kid and monkey, that's why it has a good but not great rating.
May 10, 2008
Everything I wanted in a movie, saw it twice in the weekend
June 3, 2015
If you go into this expecting a hybrid cartoon(Mario Cart)/live action kid's movie, you will walk away with a great experience. While not better than WALL-E, Speed Racer was better than any other contemporary Disney live action, and especially better than Disney's hybrid, Enchanted. This is an amazing kid's movie that I would recommend to any parent.
May 30, 2015
Awesome, why didn't I see this movie when it came out on theaters?
April 24, 2015
Turning beloved childhood franchises into live action movies has never worked, and that's going back to 1987 when they made Masters of the Universe. Everything about this movie is spot on if you're trying to make a live action movie adaptation of Mach go Go Go speed racer. It's a good cast hamming it up like the 1970's anime dubbed into english should be. Stick to the source material and it should work out right in the end. Where this movie fails is what made speed racer great; THE RACING! cars just randomly spin while driving in a straight line on tracks that are neon light while traversing various environments. Do the Wachowski siblings not watch auto racing? Do they not play gran turismo or need for speed? Why is the least interesting and most poorly executed aspect of this film the racing? Way to set back live action anime adaptations
May 13, 2008
Looking forward to seeing the effects... never was really into the show.
½ April 2, 2015
A horrendous technicolor vomit of a movie.Awful.
½ February 25, 2015
While well cast and visually proficient, Speed racer's wild pace, hit and miss humor and incoherent plot hinder it ultimately
February 22, 2015
Now I want to punch myself in the face for not going to see this in the theater!
February 13, 2015
With breathtaking imagery and an amazing story Speed Racer is one of the best movies I've ever seen.
January 26, 2015
Boring, Shallow, Boring. Over two hours of shit.
½ February 11, 2015
Allam and Goodman,'s performances, along with the use of CGI, and implementation of the original concept, makes "Speed ??Racer" an excellent adaptation, but a weak Wachowski's film. The other elements are stuck between the good and the bad things.