95% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Speed Racer Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 26, 2011
Speed Racer is a film that upon initial release polarized audiences due to its story, performances, dialogue and visual style. However, visually, this film is a real treat. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from this film, but I came out of it surprised. Speed Racer is a film that pure entertainment value from start to finish, if you enjoy films that are visually appealing, then this is a film for you. Sure, I agree that the film is over stylish, but that's a good thing. Although the script does seem a little rocky at times, the payoff comes in the races themselves. Overall this is a fun, entertaining film that is underrated, and it definitely deserves more praise just for the creativity alone. If you enjoy a good, effective and captivating picture, this film is worth seeing. Keep an open mind, it's a film that deserves much more recognition than it deserves. Sure, it's a flawless masterwork of cinema, but it's nonetheless a worthwhile and memorable viewing experience that anyone can enjoy if you're in the right frame of mind. The film's strong points are the visuals, races and overall look at the film, its flaws are in the dialogue and sometime cheesy performances, but really all that goes out the window because of its entertainment value. Speed Racer is a film that works well because its cast are good, and the direction is effective enough to grab your attention. Although it's not perfect, the film is well worth your time if you're looking for a pleasant visually charged time waster to watch. Upon seeing the film, I was surprised that mainstream critics couldn't see the merit in such a movie. Speed Racer deserves far more credit than it deserves, and most importantly, it deserves a second look.
Dann M

July 1, 2014
The Wachowski Brothers bring the cult anime series Speed Racer to the big screen as a garish, visually captivating spectacle. The story follows a race car driver named Speed who fights to step out of his older brother's shadow and win the world championship without compromising the integrity of his family's motor company. Starring Emile Hirsch, John Goodman, Christina Ricci, and Matthew Fox, the cast is quite strong and delivers some good performances. However, as fascinating as the visual aesthetic is, the special effects are overdone and make the surrealist backgrounds seem incredibly fake and distracting. Additionally, the tone of the film is disjointed; mixing juvenile comedy with intense action and melodrama. While it has some impressive visuals and some high-energy races, Speed Racer is a crazy mess.
June 27, 2014
Stylish visuals can't save this AWFUL adaptation of a cool Japanese manga series. I'll give the Wachowski brothers credit that the special effects and visuals are very bright, colorful, over-the-top, and are a good fit for the series. It is however, completely overkill and oftentimes distracting. And this is coming from someone who is a huge anime fanatic. Literally everything else goes downhill from there. The acting is terrible: In high-speed races and chases, the drivers and/or other characters act like there is ZERO G-force, which makes no sense considering they're traveling at super fast speeds around steep corners. There isn't an inch of memorable dialogue. 3/4 of the ridiculous 2+ hour runtime is nothing but either boring conversations or mindless hand-to-hand fight scenes which have nothing to do with the main story. That is, if there even is one to begin with. If there is, then everything could've been solved in half the time and maybe I'd care. The "humor" relies on all of the same cliches and stereotypes as every other kids movie out there. Overall, this is a huge letdown from the masterminds of the Matrix trilogy.
June 11, 2014
My one hundredth review on RT (Not counting the edited reviews....wait a minute, isn't this an edited review! GOD DAMN IT! PARADOX!)..............okay, I know what you're thinking, really? This five stars? Really? Look, I find it to be one of the most underrated movies of all time. Its fast paced, dramatic, visually amazing, actually faithful to its source material, and has one of the best climaxes of any movie ever, I'd say check it out and draw your own out look on it. For me, I find I a lot of fun in this movie.
HOCKEY PADS
June 11, 2014
One of the worst movies I have seen.
dn623407
June 9, 2014
I am a fan of the series and the Mach 5. Since I am a fan of the series the movie was to me excellent.
October 14, 2013
Speed Racer (Emile Hirsch) is living up to the legacy of his late brother Rex (Scott Porter) who died in a crash and was dismissed as a cheat on the track. Speed is offered a contract with the corrupt Royalton Industries but when he declines the CEO (Roger Allam) sets out to destroy his career and his family's business. Speed bands together with Inspector Detector (Benno Furmann) and Racer X (Matthew Fox) to expose the corruption of Royalton Industries which, you guessed it, involves a lot of racing rather than investigating. Speed Racer is a special effects extravaganza but sadly the effects are not very good often with too many glitches and the bright coloration may give you a headache. The majority of the acting isn't great, and the whole concoction is simply corny, predictable and even cheesier than Bill Pullman's speech in Independence Day. The biggest crime is seeing the likes of John Goodman and Susan Sarandon having to resort to films like this. Kids may enjoy the races but the adults will be too busy with their heads in their hands to even care.
May 29, 2014
It is a decently fun movie with a lot of cool things in it.
Pros-Visuals, Humor, the performances, and the energy.
Cons- Confusing story, the middle race was way too long for its roll in the plot.
May 13, 2012
My Rating: 3/5 stars; Grade: B-; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Passable (Fresh); Emoticon: :-I.
July 8, 2008
A cinematic migraine.
hipsterfilmreviews
September 25, 2011
I don't understand what's happening with this configuration. The Wachowski brothers, plus all the supporting actors are skilled actors, but how is this a movie about car racing, basically the frattiest of stupid dumbdumb movie themes. WHOSE AUDIENCES DON'T CARE ABOUT ACTING. UGH
May 14, 2014
Speed Racer is just one of those movies with a direct focus on making it bigger, better, louder and more colourful, and boldly ignores any sense or common wit or actually tolerable dialogue. The special effects are nauseating, the main characters (aside from Goodman perhaps) deliver pretty shitty performances, and the movie jumps and skips around so much it becomes almost a tiresome mental exercise. Speed Racer is meant mostly for kids, and that is all it will appeal to. If you're anyone over nine years old, avoid it like it's the plague (a bit harsh, but you get the idea).
April 30, 2014
I love this film! The message is heart warming but it is still full of action. Yes the action isn't James Bond or Mission Impossible but I think all in all it is amazing!
May 10, 2008
Speed Racer plays out like a LSD candy coloured acid trip, with a manic comic energy and zany tone. The movie is pure fun, even if it drag on at 135 minutes. The action and direction is great, and the cast performs well in this Saturday morning cartoon turned real life.
April 9, 2014
Loved the cartoon art style.
Tommy Wiseau
March 28, 2014
I'm not sure if my eyes will ever be the same again, but I'm completely and totally okay with that.

Speed racer is an incredibly entertaining, action-packed racing movie. Seriously, the racing sequences are pretty epic. This film is an absolute visual feast. There's neon, bright colors, and flashing lights! The technicality aspect was simply incredible. It was so over-the-top, but that's why I loved it. Trills are delivered throughout! This movie has got it all: action, adventure, comedy, and drama. And I thought it all blended together very nicely. John Godman and Susan Sarandon as the parents; I wasn't kidding when I said this movie has it all. I must say Speed Racer blew me away. I will without a doubt be buying this on Blu-Ray.

Buzz off Fast and Furious franchise, Speed Racer owns you!
January 4, 2009
The best film the Wachowski Brothers have directed.
March 14, 2014
just ok version of this too much flash n trash
September 25, 2013
"An unsung masterpiece" This gem made it to my top 5 films of all time faster than the Mach-5 makes it to first place at the Grand Prix.
Certain critics complain of headaches due to the blazing onslaught of unrelenting action that the appropriately abundant race scenes in this film deliver.
"neglected to develop a coherent storyline"?.... NONSENSE. who ever said that was without a doubt disoriented after any of the race scenes.
Fan of speed racer or not, thrill-seekers of all kinds will appreciate the rollercoaster-like nature of this film.
The Wachowski bros. who brought you the masterpiece known as THE MATRIX unapologetically endulge fully in their hyper stylized vision for this film and the result of it is a revolutionary and explosive futuristic racing extravaganza.
"To hell with those snobby, crooked, foolish critics and their rotten opinions" said Wachowski (not verbatim).
"Speed Racer is going to leave all other racing films ever in the dust and remain in first place until it is time for a sequel". (also not verbatim)
Gloriously accomplished.
Speed Racer makes no compromises against its number one priority which is evidently to stage the greatest racing scenes ever.
However this film does have more to offer than just plenty of mind blowing race scenes.
Give a proper listen to the tender conversations exchanged by speed and his gentle family and you will find an inspiring tale about an ultra-talented underdog and his loving family versus an absurdly wealthy and corrupt corporate shark and his thousands of employees.
Beg Royalton to "say it isn't so" after proudly declaring that professional racing (and by extension professional sports in general) is a scripted puppet show designed to generate profit.
Speed Racer will have you cheering on the edge on your seat with your jaw on the floor.
It is truly a crime that this work of art does not get the praise that it deserves.
My highest recommendation.
February 16, 2014
Though most of the cast does look the part, the abuse of CGI, the bland acting, the unnecesary retro-futuristic look, and the poor script really made this movie crash and burn.